Old 10-12-2010, 11:54 AM
Timothy Murphy

Default yum update error

Timo Schoeler wrote:

> thus Timothy Murphy spake:
>> For some reason all the perl man pages cause yum errors like
>> -------------------------------------
>> Transaction Check Error:
>> file /usr/share/man/man1/c2ph.1.gz from install of
>> perl-5.8.8-32.el5_5.2.x86_64 conflicts with file from package
>> perl-5.8.8-32.el5_5.1.i386
>> -------------------------------------

> Ran into this, too, recently. I don't know whether it's the
> 'recommended' way, but removing perl-5.8.8-32.el5_5.1.i386 (on a 64bit
> machine), which was possible without removing anything else, and then
> updating (which included the installion of perl-5.8.8-32.el5_5.2.x86_64
> fixed it for me.

Thanks, I followed your advice.
Actually, "sudo yum remove perl-5.8.8-32.el5_5.1.i386"
also removed one version of gnumeric
(which I don't use on this machine anyway).
-------------------------------
--> Processing Dependency: libperl.so for package: gnumeric
--> Running transaction check
---> Package gnumeric.i386 1:1.6.3-15.el5.2 set to be erased
-------------------------------
However, it turns out that there is still a working version of gnumeric
on the machine:
-------------------------------
[tim@helen ~]$ sudo rpm -qf /usr/bin/gnumeric
gnumeric-1.6.3-15.el5.2
-------------------------------

I've always wondered what the 1: means at the beginning of a package name?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 10-12-2010, 12:09 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>I've always wondered what the 1: means at the beginning of a package name?

Epoch Tag, see http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm-snapshot/s1-rpm-inside-tags.html
jlc

Old 05-31-2011, 06:28 PM
sandeep Patel

Hi All,
I have installed fedora 15(fresh).And when I tried to update
it it gives error like this:
[root@localhost ~]# yum update
Loaded plugins: langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
Could not retrieve mirrorlist
http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=free-fedora-15&arch=x86_64
error was
14: curl#5 - "Couldn't resolve proxy"
Could not retrieve mirrorlist
http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=free-fedora-updates-released-15&arch=x86_64
http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=nonfree-fedora-15&arch=x86_64
http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=nonfree-fedora-updates-released-15&arch=x86_64
error was
14: curl#5 - "Couldn't resolve proxy"
Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for
repository: fedora. Please verify its path and try again

I am using my net connection behind proxy server. So I also made the
changes in yum.conf file for proxy, proxy_username,proxy_password.

Could any one please help to come out from this problem.

--
Sandeep Kumar Patel
M.C.A.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:50 AM
yanliang

Hi all,

When I use the application software update to update software.I got the
error messages:

Could not get list of distribution upgrades
Failed to process request.
Method "SetHints" with signature "as" on interface
"org.freedesktop.PackageKit.Transaction" doesn't exist

How to solve this problem?

Thanks.

Yan

Old 10-15-2012, 09:29 PM
Michael Simpson

Hi folks

bit of an odd one
over the last few days i have been getting

[Errno 14] HTTP Error 500: Internal Server error
Could not retrieve mirrorlist
http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=5&arch=i386&repo=updates error
was
[Errno 14] HTTP Error 500: Internal Server Error

(though not just with updates but any mirrorlist from CentOS-Base and
also fasttrack)

this happens when trying to do a yum update

when i try browsing to the mirrorlist address manually i get

Sorry, the requested URL
'http://backend/?ra=xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx&&relea se=5&arch=i386&repo=os'
caused an error:

the x'd portion represents the boxes network address from my "provider
independent" ipv6 space which i recently moved to
I am dual-stacked

everything else is working and cached mirrors appear to work ok
using the baseurl instead also works but isn't something i want to do for long

any ideas?

mike