Old 03-22-2008, 06:49 PM
Dave Stevens

Default OT? port forwarding help

Hi,

I need to set up a web server in a place where there are two routers between
it and by broadband connection. The routers are cheap domestic units and
different brands and models. I don't understand port forwarding well enough
to be sure inbound http packets get to the right machines. Can anyone refer
me to a good tutorial or reference on the topic?

Many thanks,

Dave

--
There is no single government agency that views sustainability through a broad
lens, taking into account the values of the people affected by government

Mr. Justice David Vickers, BC Supreme Court in Tsilhqot'in Nation v. British
Columbia,2007

Old 03-22-2008, 10:46 PM
John Summerfield

Dave Stevens wrote:

Hi,

I need to set up a web server in a place where there are two routers between
it and by broadband connection. The routers are cheap domestic units and
different brands and models. I don't understand port forwarding well enough
to be sure inbound http packets get to the right machines. Can anyone refer
me to a good tutorial or reference on the topic?

A tutorial, I don't know about (or expect).

The specifics are particular to the vendor; I suggest you do what seems
right and then test via the other internet connexion). If it doesn't
work, read the instructions again. Repeat until done.

_I_ prefer to put these things into bridging mode and then do it
properly in Linux. Google and shorewall can help with that, but the
specifics of how to get the device into bridging more depends.

If these devices were provided by the IAP (and maybe if not), you should
be able to get help there.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait
-- Advice
http://webfoot.com/advice/email.top.php
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

You cannot reply off-list:-)

Old 03-28-2008, 03:05 PM
Dave Stevens

On Saturday 22 March 2008 04:46:32 pm John Summerfield wrote:
> Dave Stevens wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I need to set up a web server in a place where there are two routers
> > between it and by broadband connection. The routers are cheap domestic
> > units and different brands and models. I don't understand port forwarding
> > well enough to be sure inbound http packets get to the right machines.
> > Can anyone refer me to a good tutorial or reference on the topic?
>
> A tutorial, I don't know about (or expect).
>
> The specifics are particular to the vendor; I suggest you do what seems
> right and then test via the other internet connexion). If it doesn't
> work, read the instructions again. Repeat until done.
>
> _I_ prefer to put these things into bridging mode and then do it
> properly in Linux. Google and shorewall can help with that, but the
> specifics of how to get the device into bridging more depends.
>
> If these devices were provided by the IAP (and maybe if not), you should
> be able to get help there.
>

> --
>
> Cheers
> John

Thanks John,

I found this great web site that has tutorials and a very detailed list of
makes and models of routers with lots of very specific instructions for how
to set up forwarding for X application on Y's router model Z. Recommended.

Dave

http://www.portforward.com/

Old 03-28-2008, 06:08 PM
Les Mikesell

Dave Stevens wrote:

Hi,

I need to set up a web server in a place where there are two routers between
it and by broadband connection. The routers are cheap domestic units and
different brands and models. I don't understand port forwarding well enough
to be sure inbound http packets get to the right machines. Can anyone refer
me to a good tutorial or reference on the topic?

Normally the router will have a web interface with a fill-in-the-form
screen for where you want inbound connections to go. Most of the
vendors will have manuals on line in the support section of their web
sites. The tricky part is that you need the DNS name seen from the
public side to give the routers IP addresses (and more than one is OK),
while from your private LAN you will probably want that name to give you
the private IP of the server.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com