Old 03-22-2008, 06:21 PM
Matthew Saltzman

Default Installing Fedora 8 on Intel Core Duo

On Sat, 2008-03-22 at 17:33 +0000, Giulio Troccoli wrote:
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Sat, 2008-03-22 at 15:36 +0000, Giulio Troccoli wrote:
> >

> I've just tried with the Fedora Live CD and the same thing happens. One
> thing I noticed is that it does NOT start udev. What I mean is that on
> my laptop it says "Starting udev [OK]" before "switching" to the
> graphical interface, while on the server it just says "Starting udev"
> and then it goes black.

Try booting without the startup GUI. Maybe you can get more
information.

At the GRUB splash screen, press Enter.

Select the line with the kernel you want to boot.

Press e.

Select the boot line.

Press e

Edit the line to remove "quiet" and "rhgb"

Press Enter

Press b

(I think that's the sequence...)

--
Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs

Old 03-22-2008, 06:59 PM
"David C. Chipman"

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 19:21:26 +0000
Hi Mathew,

> Try booting without the startup GUI. Maybe you can get more
> information.

This is a great suggestion.
> At the GRUB splash screen, press Enter.

Except for the above. Giulio should pres Esc, instead,
to get into the GRUB menu. Enter starts the default kernel, cancelling
the GRUB count-down. Otherwise the rest of the commands look fine. Good
luck, Giulio!

-David Chipman

Old 03-22-2008, 07:35 PM
Matthew Saltzman

On Sat, 2008-03-22 at 15:59 -0400, David C. Chipman wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 19:21:26 +0000
> Hi Mathew,
>
> > Try booting without the startup GUI. Maybe you can get more
> > information.
> >

> This is a great suggestion.
> > At the GRUB splash screen, press Enter.
>
> Except for the above. Giulio should pres Esc, instead,
> to get into the GRUB menu. Enter starts the default kernel, cancelling
> the GRUB count-down. Otherwise the rest of the commands look fine. Good
> luck, Giulio!

Thanks for the correction...

Old 03-23-2008, 11:32 AM
Giulio Troccoli

Matthew Saltzman wrote:

Try booting without the startup GUI. Maybe you can get more
information.

This is a great suggestion.

At the GRUB splash screen, press Enter.

Except for the above. Giulio should pres Esc, instead,
to get into the GRUB menu. Enter starts the default kernel, cancelling
the GRUB count-down. Otherwise the rest of the commands look fine. Good
luck, Giulio!

Thanks for the correction...

-David Chipman

Matthew, David,

Thank you very much. That actually worked. I was presenting with the
final installation steps, like firewall and setting up a user. I have
rebooted and the same thing happened. I thought that the final steps
would somehow take care of booting up correctly too. So, how do I make
those changes permanent?

Giulio

Old 03-23-2008, 03:24 PM
Matthew Saltzman

On Sun, 2008-03-23 at 12:32 +0000, Giulio Troccoli wrote:

> Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> > On Sat, 2008-03-22 at 15:59 -0400, David C. Chipman wrote:
> >
> >> On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 19:21:26 +0000
> >> Hi Mathew,

> >> This is a great suggestion.

> >> Except for the above. Giulio should pres Esc, instead,
> >> to get into the GRUB menu. Enter starts the default kernel, cancelling
> >> the GRUB count-down. Otherwise the rest of the commands look fine. Good
> >> luck, Giulio!
> >>

> > Thanks for the correction...
> >

> >> -David Chipman
> >>

> Matthew, David,
>
> Thank you very much. That actually worked. I was presenting with the
> final installation steps, like firewall and setting up a user. I have
> rebooted and the same thing happened. I thought that the final steps
> would somehow take care of booting up correctly too. So, how do I make
> those changes permanent?

Edit /etc/grub.conf and delete the "rhgb" from the kernel lines. You
can leave the "quiet" option if you aren't debugging anything. I
believe that subsequent kernel RPM installs will inherit the options
from the existing ones.

It's an interesting question that I don't have an answer to, why the
rhgb invocation of X fails where the post-boot one succeeds. What is
your video card?

Old 03-23-2008, 03:54 PM
Giulio Troccoli

It's an interesting question that I don't have an answer to, why the
rhgb invocation of X fails where the post-boot one succeeds. What is
your video card?

Some more info. Even though I have taken the two option off, I still
have a black monitor. However I can ssh from my laptop, so it's not that
the server is not booting up. A friend suggested that it might be
something to do with the frequency, maybe Fedora is trying to optimizing
but the monitor doesn't support it. Do you know where I can check what
the current settings are?

On your question, it should be an Intel GMA 950. but that doesn't mean
much to me. Do you want me to check something specific? Let me know.

Giulio

Old 03-23-2008, 07:30 PM
Mike Chambers

On Sun, 2008-03-23 at 16:54 +0000, Giulio Troccoli wrote:

> Some more info. Even though I have taken the two option off, I still
> have a black monitor. However I can ssh from my laptop, so it's not that
> the server is not booting up. A friend suggested that it might be
> something to do with the frequency, maybe Fedora is trying to optimizing
> but the monitor doesn't support it. Do you know where I can check what
> the current settings are?

Could check your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and see what driver is being
used. If need be, can try changing it to the "vesa" driver and see if
that at least gives you a working X desktop. If you do get a working
desktop, you can run system-config-display to try getting the proper
driver/monitor selected if not already done.

You can also maybe boot to run level 3 if it allows you, and maybe
update your computer first, then try changing the xorg.conf driver back
to intel or whatever it is and do a reboot and see if the updates help.
Or you may even just delete your xorg.conf file after the updates and
see if x picks it up this time.

--
Mike Chambers
mikec302@fedoraproject.org

Old 03-23-2008, 08:16 PM
Matthew Saltzman

On Sun, 2008-03-23 at 16:54 +0000, Giulio Troccoli wrote:
> > It's an interesting question that I don't have an answer to, why the
> > rhgb invocation of X fails where the post-boot one succeeds. What is
> > your video card?
> >

> Some more info. Even though I have taken the two option off, I still
> have a black monitor. However I can ssh from my laptop, so it's not that
> the server is not booting up. A friend suggested that it might be
> something to do with the frequency, maybe Fedora is trying to optimizing
> but the monitor doesn't support it. Do you know where I can check what
> the current settings are?

If you aren't using X (graphical boot or graphical login or startx from
command line), then I think the display is handled by the kernel and
there is no file containing the settings.

In X, definitions are in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

The rhgb option in /etc/grub.conf runs the graphical boot. Graphical
login is controlled by /etc/inittab, in particular, the line

id:5:initdefault:

If you change the 5 to 3 on that line, you will boot to command-line
mode. Log in and run startx. You can shift back to your login console
with <ctrl>-<alt>-<F1>. See if there are any error reports on the
console. Also look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log and /var/log/Xorg.setup.log
to see if there are errors.

> On your question, it should be an Intel GMA 950. but that doesn't mean
> much to me. Do you want me to check something specific? Let me know.

I don't know much about the Intel drivers, so I won't be much more help.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:01 AM
Giulio Troccoli

Matthew Saltzman wrote:

If you aren't using X (graphical boot or graphical login or startx from

command line), then I think the display is handled by the kernel and
there is no file containing the settings.

In X, definitions are in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

The xorg.conf doesn't say much, it's all the default, which should work
I would think?

The rhgb option in /etc/grub.conf runs the graphical boot. Graphical
login is controlled by /etc/inittab, in particular, the line

id:5:initdefault:

If you change the 5 to 3 on that line, you will boot to command-line
mode. Log in and run startx. You can shift back to your login console
with <ctrl>-<alt>-<F1>. See if there are any error reports on the
console. Also look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log and /var/log/Xorg.setup.log
to see if there are errors.

I now boot at run level 3. When I type startx the screen goes black and
when I press <ctrl><alt><f1> I don't go back to the login but instead I
get a lot of error messages which can provide a clue on what is going
wrong. Is there a way I can capture those messages? Are they maybe put
in a file?

Giulio

P.S. I attach the Xorg.conf file
# Xorg configuration created by pyxf86config

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "gb"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "intel"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Old 03-24-2008, 11:10 AM
Tim

On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 12:01 +0000, Giulio Troccoli wrote:
> When I type startx the screen goes black and when I press
> <ctrl><alt><f1> I don't go back to the login but instead I get a lot
> of error messages which can provide a clue on what is going
> wrong. Is there a way I can capture those messages? Are they maybe put
> in a file?

See: /var/log/Xorg*log*

important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.