Old 03-22-2008, 06:14 PM
Jim Cornette

Default FC7 to FC8 Upgrade - fc8 needs 8KB ?

Jim Duda wrote:

I'm trying to upgrade from FC7 to FC8 via Yum.

After dependencies are resolved and download occurs, the update starts,
but fails with these messages:

installing package fedora-release-8-5 needs 8KB on the / filesystem
installing package perl-XML-SAX-0.16-2.fc8 needs 8KB on the / filesystem
installing package xorg-x11-drv-tek4957-1.1.0-4.fc8 needs 8KB on the /
filesystem

installing package foomatic-3.0.2-53.fc8 needs 8KB on the / filesystem
installing package libgpg-error-1.5-6 needs 8KB on the / filesystem
installing package iksemel-1.3-2.fc8 needs 8KB on the / filesystem
installing package perl-XML-LibXML-Common-0.13-9 needs 8KB on the /
filesystem

installing package glx-utils-7.0.2-3.fc8 needs 8KB on the / filesystem
installing package rpm-python-4.4.2.2-7.fc8 needs 8KB on the / filesystem

Error Summary
-------------

Can anyone explain what needs 8KB on / filesystem means?

Thanks,

Jim

Since upgrading all at once is limited by the amount of disk space
available in /var/cache/yum you might try to do incremental updates
starting with glibc and allowing it to pull in deps for the lib.
Afterward you might update certain packages in a certain alphabet like
yum -y upgrade "[a-d]*" and similar ranging.

You could make /var/cache/yum a larger drive depending on how your
partitions are setup. The incremental upgrade is the best approach. Also
upgrading in a real virtual terminal rather than a terminal within the
GUI is safer. If X crashes during a major upgrade you are i for a real
mess cleaning up the system.

Jim

--
Don't try to have the last word -- you might get it.
-- Lazarus Long

Old 03-22-2008, 07:56 PM
Jim Duda

I believe I have plenty of space:

lroom# df -v
192.168.1.254:/tftpboot/muekow/i386
191782336 53905984 127977152 30% /nfsroot
none 258464 32 258432 1% /dev
/dev/shm 258464 0 258464 0% /dev/shm
192.168.1.254:/home 191782336 53905984 127977152 30% /home
192.168.1.254:/media 769177664 155350368 590384128 21% /media

However, this is a NFS mounted root file system (diskless head).

lroom# mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
none on / type ramfs (rw)
192.168.1.254:/tftpboot/muekow/i386 on /nfsroot type nfs
(rw,vers=3,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,hard,nolock,pro to=udp,timeo=7,retrans=3,sec=sys,addr=192.168.1.25 4)

none on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /dev type tmpfs (rw)
/sys on /sys type sysfs (rw)
/dev/shm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
none on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
192.168.1.254:/home on /home type nfs
(rw,vers=3,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,hard,nolock,pro to=udp,timeo=7,retrans=3,sec=sys,addr=192.168.1.25 4)
192.168.1.254:/media on /media type nfs
(rw,vers=3,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,hard,nolock,pro to=udp,timeo=7,retrans=3,sec=sys,addr=192.168.1.25 4)
/etc/auto.misc on /misc type autofs
(rw,fd=5,pgrp=1912,timeout=300,minproto=5,maxproto =5,indirect)
-hosts on /net type autofs
(rw,fd=10,pgrp=1912,timeout=300,minproto=5,maxprot o=5,indirect)
/etc/auto.usb on /mnt/usb type autofs
(rw,fd=15,pgrp=1912,timeout=2,minproto=5,maxproto= 5,indirect)

So technically the / filesystem is running from local RAM and all the
various pieces are mounted via mount points.

IIRC, I was able to upgrade this way from FC6 to FC7 without any issues.

Jim

Old 03-22-2008, 08:00 PM
Jim Duda

Using the incremental approach seems to be working. I've doing glibc,
now a*, working my way up.

Thanks,

Jim

Old 03-23-2008, 01:48 AM
Jim Duda

Jim,

I followed your suggestion and did updates in small chucks. I had to
dance around the updating of 'f*'. I have it boiled down to just one
more update, that being 'filesystem'. Is this just a coincidence that
updating "filesystem" needs 8kb on / filesystem? I don't think this is
a disk space issue, as I did many large multi-megabyte updates in
various chunks.

Attempting to delete and reinstall filesystem would be ugly as it
involves 1000+ packages.

lroom# yum -y check-update

filesystem.i386 2.4.11-1.fc8 fedora

lroom# yum -y update
Setting up Update Process
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package filesystem.i386 0:2.4.11-1.fc8 set to be updated
--> Finished Dependency Resolution

Dependencies Resolved

================================================== ===========================
Package Arch Version Repository
Size

================================================== ===========================
Updating:
filesystem i386 2.4.11-1.fc8 fedora
118 k

Transaction Summary
================================================== ===========================
Install 0 Package(s)
Update 1 Package(s)
Remove 0 Package(s)

Total download size: 118 k
Downloading Packages:
Running rpm_check_debug
Running Transaction Test
Finished Transaction Test

Transaction Check Error:
installing package filesystem-2.4.11-1.fc8.i386 needs 8KB on the /
filesystem

Error Summary
-------------

Old 03-23-2008, 01:58 AM
Craig White

On Sat, 2008-03-22 at 22:48 -0400, Jim Duda wrote:
> Jim,
>
> I followed your suggestion and did updates in small chucks. I had to
> dance around the updating of 'f*'. I have it boiled down to just one
> more update, that being 'filesystem'. Is this just a coincidence that
> updating "filesystem" needs 8kb on / filesystem? I don't think this is
> a disk space issue, as I did many large multi-megabyte updates in
> various chunks.
>
> Attempting to delete and reinstall filesystem would be ugly as it
> involves 1000+ packages.
>
> lroom# yum -y check-update
>
> filesystem.i386 2.4.11-1.fc8 fedora
>

> lroom# yum -y update
> Setting up Update Process
> Resolving Dependencies
> --> Running transaction check
> ---> Package filesystem.i386 0:2.4.11-1.fc8 set to be updated
> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
>
> Dependencies Resolved
>
> ================================================== ===========================
> Package Arch Version Repository
> Size
> ================================================== ===========================
> Updating:
> filesystem i386 2.4.11-1.fc8 fedora
> 118 k
>
> Transaction Summary
> ================================================== ===========================
> Install 0 Package(s)
> Update 1 Package(s)
> Remove 0 Package(s)
>
> Total download size: 118 k
> Downloading Packages:
> Running rpm_check_debug
> Running Transaction Test
> Finished Transaction Test
>

> Transaction Check Error:
> installing package filesystem-2.4.11-1.fc8.i386 needs 8KB on the /
> filesystem
>
> Error Summary
----
you might want to install the source rpm and look at the spec file to
see what scripts run because you might be able to upgrade the package
using '--noscripts' option

Craig

Old 03-23-2008, 12:36 PM
Jim Cornette

Jim Duda wrote:

[...]

filesystem i386 2.4.11-1.fc8 fedora 118 k

Transaction Summary
================================================== ===========================

Install 0 Package(s)
Update 1 Package(s)
Remove 0 Package(s)

Total download size: 118 k
Downloading Packages:
Running rpm_check_debug
Running Transaction Test
Finished Transaction Test

Transaction Check Error:
installing package filesystem-2.4.11-1.fc8.i386 needs 8KB on the /
filesystem

Error Summary
-------------

I did an rpm -ql filesystem |less and there were listings way in excess
of other packages I queried in the past. So apparently filesystem is
actually ensuring the / partition has enough space. I never used ramfs
for the initial / filesystem or nfs mounted system partitions.

As the only idea I would have for installing filesystem which is a
fairly small package, I would try to install it without all the nfs
mounts. Since I am not familiar at all with the system you have and
reading your earlier posting which contained all of the volume mounting
distributions, it overwhelmed me in its complexity.

This is an interesting problem caused by such a small package. That does
not help you out much though in resolution. Somehow / has to be
increased by at least 8kb, if emptying /tmp, not mounting volumes or
entering single user mode will help is only guesswork.

Jim

--
Serenity through viciousness.