Old 11-09-2011, 06:15 PM
Ed Gurski

Default Fedora 16 on Toshiba Satellite C655d-S5234

I have been trying for the pas 10 days to install Fedora on this laptop.
F15 would not allow me to access the internet or even allow Firefox to
run. Someone suggested on another Forum to wait for F16. I did...

Installed F16 x86-64 and ran into the following issues:

The system would freeze unexpectedly. I modified Selinux to Permissive
and relabeled the system, thinking it might be the problem...

I checked my network (I have a small home network and have been running
several Fedora desktops since FC1).and all other systems are running
fine. I can execute a "dig" and "nslookup" command without problems, but
if I try to run Firefox, or yum install, it will hang the system.

I have checked message logs (/var/log/messages and dmesg) without seeing
anything. I also get an error trying to ssh or scp from one of my other
machines...

The system has the following configuration:

Processor: AMD Dual-Core C-50 Accelerated Processor
Graphics Engine: AMD® Radeon™ HD 6250
Memory: 3GB DDR3 memory
Disk: 320GB HDD (5400rpm) 15.6" widescreen
Display Type: HD TruBrite® LED Backlit display
Resolution: 16:9 aspect ratio, 1366x768 (HD), Supports 720p content
Audio: Microphone jack (mono), Standard stereo speakers, Headphone jack
(stereo)
Wi-Fi® Wireless networking (802.11b/g/n)
10/100 Ethernet LAN

Thanks in advance
--
Ed Gurski

Old 11-09-2011, 06:30 PM
Joe Zeff

On 11/09/2011 11:15 AM, Ed Gurski wrote:
> I checked my network (I have a small home network and have been running
> several Fedora desktops since FC1).and all other systems are running
> fine. I can execute a "dig" and "nslookup" command without problems, but
> if I try to run Firefox, or yum install, it will hang the system.

Can you ping, either another machine on your LAN or some outside box?
If not by machine name, try this:

ping 18.7.22.69

It's a server at mit.edu that I know responds. (I just tried it to make
sure it's not changed.) If that works, it's a DNS issue, although how
dig and nslookup work if your DNS is hinky is a good question. If that
works, try this:

wget http://www.zeff.us

If you end up with my index.html, Firefox is part of the problem.