Old 11-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Colin Paul Adams

Default How to run preupgrade?

>>>>> "Lamar" == Lamar Owen <lowen@pari.edu> writes:

Lamar> On Wednesday, November 09, 2011 06:57:54 AM Colin Paul Adams wrote:
>> I have F14 installed on my Macbook Air, and I want to upgrade to
>> F16.

>> Everything appeared to go well. At the end I pressed the button
>> to re-boot as instructed, but my F14 system just re-booted as
>> normal. How do I actually perform the upgrade from this point?

Lamar> The preupgrade setup actually writes another boot entry to
Lamar> grub, and it may be confused by the way the booting is on you
Lamar> MacBook Air.

Lamar> During boot, break out to the grub menu and see if the
Lamar> preupgrade entry (I forget right off the top of my hat what
Lamar> it's called) shows up; look in /boot/grub/menu.lst (or
Lamar> /boot/grub/grub.conf) and see if it's there.

I've not tried re-booting again yet (I have to look up to find out how
to break out to the grub menu), but just looking, I can see that it is
the first entry in grub.conf, but NOT in menu.lst.

I do see the keyword "hiddenmenu" in both. I'll try removing that to see
if it helps.
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire

Old 11-09-2011, 01:05 PM
suvayu ali

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 12:57, Colin Paul Adams <colin@colina.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Everything appeared to go well. At the end I pressed the button to
> re-boot as instructed, but my F14 system just re-booted as normal. How
> do I actually perform the upgrade from this point?

<https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F16_bugs#Upgrade_from_Fedora_14_to_Fedora_1 6_with_preupgrade_leaves_bootloader_in_previous_co nfiguration>

I was hit by this too. You can find the anaconda log file in /root/.
If you look at the error you can see why it fails. If it is a grubby
error then you got hit by the above bug.

The solution is to hand edit and correct grub.conf.

--
Suvayu

Old 11-09-2011, 01:31 PM
Colin Paul Adams

suvayu> On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 12:57, Colin Paul Adams <colin@colina.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> Everything appeared to go well. At the end I pressed the button
>> to re-boot as instructed, but my F14 system just re-booted as
>> normal. How do I actually perform the upgrade from this point?

suvayu> <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F16_bugs#Upgrade_from_Fedora_14_to_Fedora_1 6_with_preupgrade_leaves_bootloader_in_previous_co nfiguration>

suvayu> I was hit by this too. You can find the anaconda log file in
suvayu> /root/. If you look at the error you can see why it
suvayu> fails. If it is a grubby error then you got hit by the above
suvayu> bug.

suvayu> The solution is to hand edit and correct grub.conf.

Thanks. I can't find any log in /root dated 2011. But it certainly
sounds like this error.

The bug says a new preupgrade will be released shortly. I think I should
wait for that, although I don't know how to find out when it is
available (I added myself to the CC list, so that should do the trick, i
hope).

Presumably if I yum erase preupgrade, and then install and run it again
when the new preupgrade is on the mirrors, it should just work.
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire

Old 11-09-2011, 03:29 PM
suvayu ali

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 15:31, Colin Paul Adams <colin@colina.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> The bug says a new preupgrade will be released shortly. I think I should
> wait for that, although I don't know how to find out when it is
> available (I added myself to the CC list, so that should do the trick, i
> hope).
>
> Presumably if I yum erase preupgrade, and then install and run it again
> when the new preupgrade is on the mirrors, it should just work.

I think you misunderstood the bug. Your machine has already been
upgraded to F16. It just boots the wrong kernel. To verify this, you
can check with the following:

$ cat /etc/redhat-release
Fedora release 16 (Verne)

$ rpm -qa kernel*

should list the last 2 F14 kernels and the latest F16 kernel (assuming
your installonly limit is set to the default value of 3).

But when you do:

$ uname -r

You should see the F14 kernel.

The fix for you is simply fix your grub.conf by hand and possibly
regenerate your initramfs like this:

# dracut -f /boot/initramfs-<F16-kernel-ver>.img <F16-kernel-ver>

I am not sure about this last part, it might be unnecessary. I can't
recall what I had to do and why (I was fooling around with the boot
splash, and this was when F16 was in beta a month back).

--
Suvayu

Old 11-09-2011, 03:41 PM
Colin Paul Adams

suvayu> On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 15:31, Colin Paul Adams <colin@colina.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> The bug says a new preupgrade will be released shortly. I think I
>> should wait for that, although I don't know how to find out when
>> it is available (I added myself to the CC list, so that should do
>> the trick, i hope).
>>
>> Presumably if I yum erase preupgrade, and then install and run it
>> again when the new preupgrade is on the mirrors, it should just
>> work.

suvayu> I think you misunderstood the bug. Your machine has already
suvayu> been upgraded to F16. It just boots the wrong kernel. To
suvayu> verify this, you can check with the following:

suvayu> $ cat /etc/redhat-release Fedora release 16 (Verne)

I don't get that, I get:

Fedora release 14 (Laughlin)

and I still have a gnome2 desktop (perhaps upgrade is supposed to leave
that alone though?).

suvayu> $ rpm -qa kernel*

suvayu> should list the last 2 F14 kernels and the latest F16 kernel
suvayu> (assuming your installonly limit is set to the default value
suvayu> of 3).

It lists 3 fc 14 kernels and an fc 14 kernel-headers

suvayu> But when you do:

suvayu> $ uname -r

suvayu> You should see the F14 kernel.

I do the third-oldest of the three.

suvayu> The fix for you is simply fix your grub.conf by hand and
suvayu> possibly regenerate your initramfs like this:

suvayu> # dracut -f /boot/initramfs-<F16-kernel-ver>.img
suvayu> <F16-kernel-ver>

suvayu> I am not sure about this last part, it might be
suvayu> unnecessary. I can't recall what I had to do and why (I was
suvayu> fooling around with the boot splash, and this was when F16
suvayu> was in beta a month back).

I don't want to try any hacks to fix an upgrade process that doesn't
appear to have run. I have two more machines to upgrade as well.

Anyway, it sounds like this is a different problem to the one you had, perhaps.

--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire

Old 11-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Frank Murphy

On 09/11/11 11:57, Colin Paul Adams wrote:
<snipped>

> Everything appeared to go well. At the end I pressed the button to
> re-boot as instructed, but my F14 system just re-booted as normal. How
> do I actually perform the upgrade from this point?

Af far as I recall, grub2 will be pulled in after an upgrade to F16.
So menu.lst will be meaningless. Grub2 obsoletes Grub.

check for /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
it is from here you will find what needs booting.

Frank Murphy
UTF_8 Encoded
Friend of fedoraproject.org

Old 11-09-2011, 03:57 PM
Colin Paul Adams

Frank> On 09/11/11 11:57, Colin Paul Adams wrote:
Frank> <snipped>

>> Everything appeared to go well. At the end I pressed the button
>> to re-boot as instructed, but my F14 system just re-booted as
>> normal. How do I actually perform the upgrade from this point?

Frank> Af far as I recall, grub2 will be pulled in after an upgrade
Frank> to F16. So menu.lst will be meaningless. Grub2 obsoletes
Frank> Grub.

Frank> check for /boot/grub2/grub.cfg it is from here you will find
Frank> what needs booting.

There is no /boot/grub2 . I guess this preupgrade business just doesn't work.
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire

Old 11-09-2011, 07:12 PM
Lamar Owen

On Wednesday, November 09, 2011 11:41:48 AM Colin Paul Adams wrote:
> suvayu> I think you misunderstood the bug. Your machine has already
> suvayu> been upgraded to F16. It just boots the wrong kernel. To
> suvayu> verify this, you can check with the following:
>
> suvayu> $ cat /etc/redhat-release Fedora release 16 (Verne)
>
> I don't get that, I get:
>
> Fedora release 14 (Laughlin)

This is what I would expect, since the first boot after preupgrade is run on the older system is to anaconda in upgrade mode; that never ran, you've only downloaded all the pieces necessary to do the upgrade (pieces meaning the installer image with anaconda, the new boot, and all the rpm's necessary for your upgrade). That first reboot into anaconda does the upgrade itself. Do not trust the progress bar in an upgrade, incidentally.

> I don't want to try any hacks to fix an upgrade process that doesn't
> appear to have run. I have two more machines to upgrade as well.

It appears that the grub entry to boot into the installer (anaconda) in upgrade mode isn't there, and thus it won't boot to it and thus won't upgrade. It's primed to boot to it, it just hasn't yet.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Lamar Owen

On Wednesday, November 09, 2011 09:31:31 AM Colin Paul Adams wrote:
> The bug says a new preupgrade will be released shortly. I think I should
> wait for that, although I don't know how to find out when it is
> available (I added myself to the CC list, so that should do the trick, i
> hope).

This is not your bug; anaconda hasn't yet run to do the upgrade at all.

> Presumably if I yum erase preupgrade, and then install and run it again
> when the new preupgrade is on the mirrors, it should just work.

There's more to it than that, methinks. But see where the differences between grub.conf and menu.lst are; on my F-14 system (booting on a GPT disk):
lowen@localhost:~$ ls -l /boot/grub
total 348
-rw-------. 1 root root 1510 Nov 7 12:07 grub.conf
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 11672 Nov 8 2010 iso9660_stage1_5
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 13104 Nov 8 2010 jfs_stage1_5
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 11 Nov 8 2010 menu.lst -> ./grub.conf
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 13576 Nov 8 2010 xfs_stage1_5
lowen@localhost:~$

which means, in a nutshell, that they are the same file and there should be no differences; but I've not run preupgrade, either.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:23 PM
Lamar Owen

On Wednesday, November 09, 2011 08:52:43 AM Colin Paul Adams wrote:
> I've not tried re-booting again yet (I have to look up to find out how
> to break out to the grub menu), but just looking, I can see that it is
> the first entry in grub.conf, but NOT in menu.lst.

menu.lst is supposed to be a symlink to grub.conf. Odd that it's not. You could either manually add the line from grub.conf to menu.lst, or rename menu.lst to something else and symlink menu.lst to grub.conf ( using something like:
ln -s ./grub.conf menu.lst
).

Be careful, though, as a wrong edit or a missing file can cause your system to no longer boot.

> I do see the keyword "hiddenmenu" in both. I'll try removing that to see
> if it helps.

Yeah, I always remove that line on machines that multiboot from grub (as opposed to multibooting to grub installed in the partition, which is the way this F-14 machine is set up, using a different bootloader).