Old 11-09-2011, 11:33 AM
Don Quixote de la Mancha

Default Fedora 16 on MacPro

Does Fedora 16 boot on UEFI computers that do not have the legacy 16-bit BIOS?

If not, you will need to install Bootcamp under Mac OS X with the Boot
Camp Assistant. It is in /Applications/Utilities under Mac OS X.

Bootcamp installs a 16-bit BIOS emulation as a 32-bit UEFI
application. rEFIt, among other things, creates a Master Boot Record
with a partition table that can be synched with the UEFI GUID
Partition Table.

Linux knows all about GUID Partition Tables. I do not know whether or
not GRUB does. I think your problem is that GRUB wants the 16-bit
BIOS.

There is a 32-bit UEFI boot loader that may work for you, that would
not require either Bootcamp or rEFIt. I looked into it a couple years
ago, but it was not then considered mature enough for production use.
Possibly it is now. I don't recall what it is called, though.

--
Don Quixote de la Mancha
Dulcinea Technologies Corporation

Old 11-09-2011, 11:53 AM
Guillaume Chapron

> This might (or might not) be helpful:

> http://colina.demon.co.uk/?q=node/879

Thanks very much! It worked :-)

Guillaume

Old 11-09-2011, 11:56 AM
Colin Paul Adams

>> This might (or might not) be helpful:

>> http://colina.demon.co.uk/?q=node/879

Guillaume> Thanks very much! It worked :-)

Good to know. I might have to read it again if I can't get preupgrade to work.
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire

Old 11-09-2011, 12:28 PM
Lamar Owen

On Wednesday, November 09, 2011 07:33:07 AM Don Quixote de la Mancha wrote:
> There is a 32-bit UEFI boot loader that may work for you, that would
> not require either Bootcamp or rEFIt. I looked into it a couple years
> ago, but it was not then considered mature enough for production use.
> Possibly it is now. I don't recall what it is called, though.

Under a different EFI bootloader, parted sets the wrong GPT partition 'types' (type is really a misnomer, but it's a familiar term) and the Linux system won't boot. Has something to do with the hidden EFI boot partition and that there really can only be one of them. Here's a partition print from a working OS X/F-14 dual boot system (with grub installed to /dev/sda4, in this case, and not to the protective MBR; there's something else there....), using the 'gdisk' partitioning utility:

[root@localhost ~]# gdisk /dev/sda
GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.8.1

Partition table scan:
MBR: protective
BSD: not present
APM: not present
GPT: present

Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT.

Command (? for help): p
Disk /dev/sda: 976773168 sectors, 465.8 GiB
Logical sector size: 512 bytes
Disk identifier (GUID): XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX
Partition table holds up to 128 entries
First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 976773134
Partitions will be aligned on 8-sector boundaries
Total free space is 525717 sectors (256.7 MiB)

Number Start (sector) End (sector) Size Code Name
1 40 409639 200.0 MiB EF00 EFI System Partition
2 409640 386210423 184.0 GiB AF00 Mac
3 386473984 402104319 7.5 GiB 8200 LinuxSwap
4 402104320 484024319 39.1 GiB 0700 F14
5 484024320 861511679 180.0 GiB 0700 LinuxHome
6 861511680 976510983 54.8 GiB AF00 Interchange

Command (? for help):

Old 11-10-2011, 02:15 PM
Colin Paul Adams

>> This might (or might not) be helpful:

>> http://colina.demon.co.uk/?q=node/879

Guillaume> Thanks very much! It worked :-)

Are you using grub2 as the boot loader? And if so, did you have to you
use the --force option on grub2-mkconfig?
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire