Old 11-09-2011, 11:19 AM
Guillaume Chapron

Default Fedora 16 on MacPro

Hello,

I'm writing because I'm unable to install Fedora 16 on a MacPro (version 3.1, year 2008). I first downloaded and burnt a DVD of Fedora-16-x86_64-Live-Scientific-KDE.iso. Then, here is what I tried:

1. Wiped out OS X and all data and installed Fedora as the only OS on the machine, keeping default options (e.g. for LVM use and Bootloader install). Install worked, but the machine never booted again and shown only a "?" on a grey screen. I guess I removed the EFI and the Mac did not like it.

I then reinstalled OS X (10.6), resized the OS X partition to create empty space and installed rEFIT (v. 0.14). Then I did this:

2. Installed Fedora 16 in the empty space, with bootloader on /dev/sda. There was an error message the bootloader could not be installed. I synchronized the MBR partition table with the GPT partition table (using rEFIT menu). Linux did not boot.

3. Installed Fedora 16 again where it was before, with bootloader on /dev/sda1 this time (got the same error message), synchronized the MBR partition table with the GPT partition table again. Linux did not boot.

4. Installed Fedora 16 again where it was before but now with no bootloader. GRUB told "file not found" and nothing happened.

I'm aware that I'm likely doing things I don't really understand and this is why I'm seeking help on the list. Could you please tell me what I should do (or should not do)? My aim is to have Fedora 16 installed on this machine, I may or may not keep OS X, it does not really matter.

Thanks!

Guillaume

Old 11-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Colin Paul Adams

Guillaume> I'm aware that I'm likely doing things I don't really
Guillaume> understand and this is why I'm seeking help on the
Guillaume> list. Could you please tell me what I should do (or
Guillaume> should not do)? My aim is to have Fedora 16 installed on
Guillaume> this machine, I may or may not keep OS X, it does not
Guillaume> really matter.

This might (or might not) be helpful:

http://colina.demon.co.uk/?q=node/879

--