Old 11-09-2011, 01:32 AM
Leonardo Silveira

Default "sudo service postgresql start" problem on fedora 16

here's the output after i try to start the database:

[sombriks@gau ~]$ sudo systemctl status postgresql.service
postgresql.service - PostgreSQL database server
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/postgresql.service; disabled)
Active: failed since Tue, 08 Nov 2011 23:31:35 -0300; 8s ago
Process: 2305 ExecStart=/usr/bin/pg_ctl start -D ${PGDATA} -s -o -p
${PGPORT} -w -t 300 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
CGroup: name=systemd:/system/postgresql.service
[sombriks@gau ~]$

i'll look /var/log and hope to find something

Old 11-09-2011, 01:35 AM
Itamar Reis Peixoto

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 12:19 AM, Leonardo Silveira <sombriks@gmail.com> wrote:
> hello everyone,
>
> i've installed postgre in this way:
>
> *sudo yum install postgresql.x86_64 postgresql-server.x86_64
> postgresql-contrib.x86_6
>
> sadly when i try to start the database this happens:
>
> [sombriks@gau ~]$ sudo service postgresql start
> [sudo] password for sombriks:
> Redirecting to /bin/systemctl *start postgresql.service
> Job failed. See system logs and 'systemctl status' for details.
> [sombriks@gau ~]$
>
> sudo systemctl status returns 'Too few arguments.', and sudo systemctl
> status postgresql returns 'Failed to issue method call: Unit name
> postgresql is not valid.'
>
> any help is welcome

systemctl postgresql inittdb

or

service postgresql initdb

--
------------

Itamar Reis Peixoto
msn, google talk: itamar@ispbrasil.com.br
+55 11 4063 5033 (FIXO SP)
+55 34 9158 9329 (TIM)
+55 34 8806 3989 (OI)
+55 34 3221 8599 (FIXO MG)

Old 11-09-2011, 01:41 AM
Leonardo Silveira

Hello and thanks for the help.

indeed this is a new database, but such operands didn't worked. Here's
the output:

[sombriks@gau ~]$ sudo service postgresql initdb
Redirecting to /bin/systemctl initdb postgresql.service
Unknown operation initdb
[sombriks@gau ~]$

[sombriks@gau ~]$ sudo systemctl postgresql initdb
Unknown operation postgresql
[sombriks@gau ~]$

[sombriks@gau ~]$ sudo systemctl initdb postgresql
Unknown operation initdb
[sombriks@gau ~]$

[sombriks@gau ~]$ sudo systemctl initdb postgresql.service
Unknown operation initdb
[sombriks@gau ~]$

Old 11-09-2011, 01:43 AM
Itamar Reis Peixoto

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 12:41 AM, Leonardo Silveira <sombriks@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello and thanks for the help.
>
> indeed this is a new database, but such operands didn't worked. Here's
> the output:
>
> [sombriks@gau ~]$ sudo service postgresql initdb
> Redirecting to /bin/systemctl *initdb postgresql.service
> Unknown operation initdb
> [sombriks@gau ~]$
>
> [sombriks@gau ~]$ sudo systemctl postgresql initdb
> Unknown operation postgresql
> [sombriks@gau ~]$
>
> [sombriks@gau ~]$ sudo systemctl initdb postgresql
> Unknown operation initdb
> [sombriks@gau ~]$
>
> [sombriks@gau ~]$ sudo systemctl initdb postgresql.service
> Unknown operation initdb
> [sombriks@gau ~]$
>

> Em Qua, 2011-11-09 ąs 00:35 -0200, Itamar Reis Peixoto escreveu:
>> service postgresql initdb

have you installed it ?

rpm -qa postgresql-server

yum -y install postgresql-server

--
------------

Old 11-09-2011, 01:45 AM
Leonardo Silveira

hello and thanks for the quick answer. yes i have it installed. it also
created the user and something in /var/lib

i'll google something...

Old 11-09-2011, 01:53 AM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 7:41 PM, Leonardo Silveira <sombriks@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello and thanks for the help.
>
> indeed this is a new database, but such operands didn't worked. Here's
> the output:
>
> [sombriks@gau ~]$ sudo service postgresql initdb
> Redirecting to /bin/systemctl *initdb postgresql.service
> Unknown operation initdb

This command has changed in Fedora 16. The correct command is now:
$ sudo postgresql-setup initdb

For more information, see the release notes:
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/16/html/Release_Notes/sect-Release_Notes-Changes_for_Sysadmin.html#id1410272

-T.C.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:56 AM
Itamar Reis Peixoto

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 12:53 AM, T.C. Hollingsworth
<tchollingsworth@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 7:41 PM, Leonardo Silveira <sombriks@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello and thanks for the help.
>>
>> indeed this is a new database, but such operands didn't worked. Here's
>> the output:
>>
>> [sombriks@gau ~]$ sudo service postgresql initdb
>> Redirecting to /bin/systemctl *initdb postgresql.service
>> Unknown operation initdb
>
> This command has changed in Fedora 16. *The correct command is now:
> $ sudo postgresql-setup initdb
>
> For more information, see the release notes:
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/16/html/Release_Notes/sect-Release_Notes-Changes_for_Sysadmin.html#id1410272
>
> -T.C.

nice to know, thanks for the info.

--

Old 11-09-2011, 02:10 AM
Leonardo

Yes, it works perfectly, thanks.

we run it once, and now the common and regular command works fine.