Old 03-22-2008, 02:36 PM
Giulio Troccoli

Default Installing Fedora 8 on Intel Core Duo

I have just bought a new PC which I am going to use as a server. I have
been using Fedora Core 5 on the old one for about 5 years and I was very
happy with it. I am also using Fedora 8 on my laptop and I'm very happy
with it.

The installation goes very well, I've got all the screens and I choose
what to install and what not. Mind you, at this point the server is NOT
yet connected to the router (if that makes a different). After the
installation has finished it ask to reboot, to which of course I say
yes. But the boot hangs, or so it seems.

I've got the text output up to the point when it says "Starting udev".
with one error maybe. The message "dmi_save_oem_string_devices: out of
memory" appears. Then the screen goes black (and actually the monitor's
light goes yellow, like there wasn't any signal). Nothing seems to bring
it back to live.

I've read that maybe I should use Fedora 7 instead of 8. As I said I
have been using Fedora 8 on my laptop for some time with no trouble at
all. But then again, it's a Pentium Centrino not a Dual Core.

Any help?

Giulio

Old 03-22-2008, 03:41 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Sat, 2008-03-22 at 15:36 +0000, Giulio Troccoli wrote:
> I have just bought a new PC which I am going to use as a server. I have
> been using Fedora Core 5 on the old one for about 5 years and I was very
> happy with it. I am also using Fedora 8 on my laptop and I'm very happy
> with it.
>
> The installation goes very well, I've got all the screens and I choose
> what to install and what not. Mind you, at this point the server is NOT
> yet connected to the router (if that makes a different). After the
> installation has finished it ask to reboot, to which of course I say
> yes. But the boot hangs, or so it seems.
>
> I've got the text output up to the point when it says "Starting udev".
> with one error maybe. The message "dmi_save_oem_string_devices: out of
> memory" appears. Then the screen goes black (and actually the monitor's
> light goes yellow, like there wasn't any signal). Nothing seems to bring
> it back to live.
>
> I've read that maybe I should use Fedora 7 instead of 8. As I said I
> have been using Fedora 8 on my laptop for some time with no trouble at
> all. But then again, it's a Pentium Centrino not a Dual Core.

I'm using a Core Duo on F8 with no problems. Sounds like a hardware or
BIOS problem with your new machine. Try running a Live CD (Fedora,
Ubuntu, Knoppix ...) and see what happens.

poc

Old 03-22-2008, 04:33 PM
Giulio Troccoli

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

[...]

I've just tried with the Fedora Live CD and the same thing happens. One
thing I noticed is that it does NOT start udev. What I mean is that on
my laptop it says "Starting udev [OK]" before "switching" to the
graphical interface, while on the server it just says "Starting udev"
and then it goes black.

Giulio

Old 03-22-2008, 05:28 PM
inode0

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 12:33 PM, Giulio Troccoli
<giulio.troccoli@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> I've just tried with the Fedora Live CD and the same thing happens. One
> thing I noticed is that it does NOT start udev. What I mean is that on
> my laptop it says "Starting udev [OK]" before "switching" to the
> graphical interface, while on the server it just says "Starting udev"
> and then it goes black.

I've seen this happen with a certain motherboard with a memory
configuration that confuses Fedora installers. Setting the memory to
less than I actually have allows it to install and the regular kernels
were ok although they didn't see all the memory either (but at least
work otherwise).

John