Old 11-08-2011, 10:33 PM
antonio montagnani

Default F16--Something went wrong in Gnome...

....and I cannot login in Gnome...
System fully updated and luckily I have KDE installed.
Selinux is active

--
Antonio M
Skype: amontag52

Linux Fedora F15 (Lovelock) on Acer 5720

http://lugsaronno.altervista.org
http://www.campingmonterosa.com
http://www.studiodacolpaloschi.it

Old 11-08-2011, 10:49 PM
Joe Zeff

On 11/08/2011 03:33 PM, antonio montagnani wrote:
> ....and I cannot login in Gnome...
> System fully updated and luckily I have KDE installed.
> Selinux is active

Does the SELinux troubleshooter report any alerts? If not, it's not the
issue.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:10 PM
antonio montagnani

Joe Zeff ha scritto / said the following il giorno/on 09/11/2011 00:49:
> On 11/08/2011 03:33 PM, antonio montagnani wrote:
>> ....and I cannot login in Gnome...
>> System fully updated and luckily I have KDE installed.
>> Selinux is active
>
> Does the SELinux troubleshooter report any alerts? If not, it's not the
> issue.
funny but Selinux was the issue.

I rebooted disabling Selinux on the command line and I could use Gnome,
then I restarted and system relabeled all files and I could login in Gnome.
No idea what was going on, but that's it

Old 11-08-2011, 11:15 PM
Joe Zeff

On 11/08/2011 04:10 PM, antonio montagnani wrote:
> I rebooted disabling Selinux on the command line and I could use Gnome,
> then I restarted and system relabeled all files and I could login in Gnome.
> No idea what was going on, but that's it

I'm glad you found it. The reason I asked was that I've seen people
blame SELinux for random problems so often without the slightest
evidence that it's involved that I tend to be skeptical about such
claims unless there are alerts. BTW, when you were using KDE did you
check the troubleshooter for alerts? I'm not sure if they'd still be
there at this point, but it would be nice to know if there were any and
what they were.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:03 PM
Daniel J Walsh

Old 11-09-2011, 02:53 PM
Niels Weber

Hi,

I have a similar issue.

2011/11/9 Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh@redhat.com>:

> On 11/08/2011 07:15 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
>> On 11/08/2011 04:10 PM, antonio montagnani wrote:
>>> I rebooted disabling Selinux on the command line and I could use
>>> Gnome, then I restarted and system relabeled all files and I
>>> could login in Gnome. No idea what was going on, but that's it
>>
>> I'm glad you found it. *The reason I asked was that I've seen
>> people blame SELinux for random problems so often without the
>> slightest evidence that it's involved that I tend to be skeptical
>> about such claims unless there are alerts. *BTW, when you were
>> using KDE did you check the troubleshooter for alerts? *I'm not
>> sure if they'd still be there at this point, but it would be nice
>> to know if there were any and what they were.
> If you have a problem with SELinux please boot in permissive mode and
> not disabled, to report what SELinux is complaining about. *That way
> we can figure out what the problem is and hopefully fix it for others.
> *Usually it is a minor labeling problem. *If you turn SELinux back on,
> the system should relabel itself, and the problem will be fixed.

the login screen didn't work, switching to runlevel 3 and startx worked though.
Setting selinux to permissive allowed the login screen to run.
Relabelling the file system didn't help at all.

> If you still have the auditlogs availabel could you email me the
> compressed output of
>
> ausearch -m avc

There is nothing in the timeframe in the output.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Niels

Old 11-09-2011, 02:58 PM
Antonio M

2011/11/9 Niels Weber <nathelbiya@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I have a similar issue.
>
> 2011/11/9 Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh@redhat.com>:

>>> I'm glad you found it. *The reason I asked was that I've seen
>>> people blame SELinux for random problems so often without the
>>> slightest evidence that it's involved that I tend to be skeptical
>>> about such claims unless there are alerts. *BTW, when you were
>>> using KDE did you check the troubleshooter for alerts? *I'm not
>>> sure if they'd still be there at this point, but it would be nice
>>> to know if there were any and what they were.
>> If you have a problem with SELinux please boot in permissive mode and
>> not disabled, to report what SELinux is complaining about. *That way
>> we can figure out what the problem is and hopefully fix it for others.
>> *Usually it is a minor labeling problem. *If you turn SELinux back on,
>> the system should relabel itself, and the problem will be fixed.
>
> the login screen didn't work, switching to runlevel 3 and startx worked though.
> Setting selinux to permissive allowed the login screen to run.
> Relabelling the file system didn't help at all.
>
>> If you still have the auditlogs availabel could you email me the
>> compressed output of
>>
>> ausearch -m avc
>
> There is nothing in the timeframe in the output.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> * *Niels

Are you sure to have relabeled ?? or did you switch from permissive to
targeted???
Just to clear

--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : amontag52

Old 11-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Niels Weber

2011/11/9 Antonio M <antonio.montagnani@gmail.com>:
> 2011/11/9 Niels Weber <nathelbiya@gmail.com>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a similar issue.

>>> If you have a problem with SELinux please boot in permissive mode and
>>> not disabled, to report what SELinux is complaining about. *That way
>>> we can figure out what the problem is and hopefully fix it for others.
>>> *Usually it is a minor labeling problem. *If you turn SELinux back on,
>>> the system should relabel itself, and the problem will be fixed.
>>
>> the login screen didn't work, switching to runlevel 3 and startx worked though.
>> Setting selinux to permissive allowed the login screen to run.
>> Relabelling the file system didn't help at all.
>>
>>> If you still have the auditlogs availabel could you email me the
>>> compressed output of
>>>
>>> ausearch -m avc
>>
>> There is nothing in the timeframe in the output.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> * *Niels
>> --
>>

> Are you sure to have relabeled ?? or did you switch from permissive to
> targeted???
> Just to clear

I did a
touch /.autorelabel
and rebooted.
I think it said something about rebuilding the targeted setup and it
took quite some time.

Niels
--
Ama-Gi!

Old 11-09-2011, 03:26 PM
Antonio M

2011/11/9 Niels Weber <nathelbiya@gmail.com>:
> 2011/11/9 Antonio M <antonio.montagnani@gmail.com>:
>> 2011/11/9 Niels Weber <nathelbiya@gmail.com>:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a similar issue.

>>> the login screen didn't work, switching to runlevel 3 and startx worked though.
>>> Setting selinux to permissive allowed the login screen to run.
>>> Relabelling the file system didn't help at all.

>>> There is nothing in the timeframe in the output.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> * *Niels
>>> --
>>>

>> Are you sure to have relabeled ?? or did you switch from permissive to
>> targeted???
>> Just to clear
>
> I did a
> touch /.autorelabel
> and rebooted.
> I think it said something about rebuilding the targeted setup and it
> took quite some time.
>
> Niels
> --
> Ama-Gi!

I would disable (not permissive) Selinux, boot, then enable again and
reboot again, in order to have labeling at boot-time.
Just a shot in the dark (but it is what I did)

Old 11-09-2011, 05:04 PM
Daniel J Walsh

On 11/09/2011 11:26 AM, Antonio M wrote:
> 2011/11/9 Niels Weber <nathelbiya@gmail.com>:

>>> Are you sure to have relabeled ?? or did you switch from
>>> permissive to targeted??? Just to clear
>>
>> I did a touch /.autorelabel and rebooted. I think it said
>> something about rebuilding the targeted setup and it took quite
>> some time.
>>
>> Niels -- Ama-Gi! -- users mailing list
>> users@lists.fedoraproject.org To unsubscribe or change
>> subscription options:
>> Guidelines:
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
>>

> I would disable (not permissive) Selinux, boot, then enable again
> and reboot again, in order to have labeling at boot-time. Just a
> shot in the dark (but it is what I did)
>
> Antonio Montagnani Skype : amontag52 SIP: antoniomontag@ekiga.net
> Linux Fedora 15 Lovelock

You should not need to do this. What avc messages are you seeing in
the audit.log?