Old 11-08-2011, 08:45 PM
Ian Malone

Default Problem compiling programs

On 8 November 2011 18:22, Joe Zeff <joe@zeff.us> wrote:
> I've tried downloading some tarballs and compiling them, without
> success. *In each case, ./configure complains that it can't find one or
> more libraries that I have installed. *Checking, it turns out that
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH isn't set.
>
> This leads to two questions: what should it be set to and why isn't it set?

Unset for me, but I do have this involved:
pkgconfig-0.25-3.fc15.x86_64

$ pkg-config --libs vorbis
-lvorbis -lm -logg

--
imalone

Old 11-08-2011, 08:46 PM
Ian Malone

On 8 November 2011 21:45, Ian Malone <ibmalone@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8 November 2011 18:22, Joe Zeff <joe@zeff.us> wrote:
>> I've tried downloading some tarballs and compiling them, without
>> success. *In each case, ./configure complains that it can't find one or
>> more libraries that I have installed. *Checking, it turns out that
>> PKG_CONFIG_PATH isn't set.
>>
>> This leads to two questions: what should it be set to and why isn't it set?
>
> Unset for me, but I do have this involved:
"Installed"

--
imalone

Old 11-08-2011, 08:55 PM
Joe Zeff

On 11/08/2011 01:45 PM, Ian Malone wrote:
> $ pkg-config --libs vorbis
> -lvorbis -lm -logg

pkg-config doesn't show any of the three libraries involved as being
installed, but if I run yum provides */$FOO, it shows that the libraries
and the .dev packages are installed.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:00 PM
Robert Marcano

On 11/08/2011 01:52 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> I've tried downloading some tarballs and compiling them, without
> success. In each case, ./configure complains that it can't find one or
> more libraries that I have installed. Checking, it turns out that
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH isn't set.
>
> This leads to two questions: what should it be set to and why isn't it set?

You normally do not set it, configure by default looks for
/usr/{lib,lib64}/pkgconfig/ directory. If if does not finds your library
it is probably the lib*-devel package is not installed. You set
PKG_CONFIG_PATH when your want your applications to link against non
system installed libraries, for example a library you needed to build in
your Home directory as a requirement.

Check the configure output for a name of the library it doesn't find.
for example if it says it does not find libpng, you need to install
libpng-devel, and so on

Old 11-08-2011, 09:25 PM
Joe Zeff

On 11/08/2011 02:00 PM, Robert Marcano wrote:
> Check the configure output for a name of the library it doesn't find.
> for example if it says it does not find libpng, you need to install
> libpng-devel, and so on

yum provides */$LIBRARY

shows that the .dev packages are installed, as I've said at least once
before.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:53 PM
Robert Marcano

On 11/08/2011 05:55 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 11/08/2011 02:00 PM, Robert Marcano wrote:
>> Check the configure output for a name of the library it doesn't find.
>> for example if it says it does not find libpng, you need to install
>> libpng-devel, and so on
>
> yum provides */$LIBRARY
>
> shows that the .dev packages are installed, as I've said at least once
> before.

Can you please add something from the configure output if possible, more
than PKG_CONFIG_PATH isn't set?

Old 11-08-2011, 10:02 PM
Joe Zeff

On 11/08/2011 02:53 PM, Robert Marcano wrote:
> Can you please add something from the configure output if possible, more
> than PKG_CONFIG_PATH isn't set?

I could attach the entire config.log if you wanted, but I doubt most of
the list would want it. Right now, I'm just wondering why ./configure
can't find these libraries when yum says that they're installed,
including the .dev packages.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:16 PM
Michael Cronenworth

Joe Zeff wrote:
> I could attach the entire config.log if you wanted, but I doubt most of
> the list would want it. Right now, I'm just wondering why ./configure
> can't find these libraries when yum says that they're installed,
> including the .dev packages.

Provide a link to your config.log from pastebin.com.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:47 PM
Joe Zeff

On 11/08/2011 03:16 PM, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> Provide a link to your config.log from pastebin.com.

*Shrug!* I've got lots of webspace for this:
http://www.zeff.us/config1.log and http://www.zeff.us/config2.log should
be what you need. However, when I checked with yumex, it didn't find
anything resembling exo-1 installed and some of the -devel packages I
need weren't marked as installed, even though yum made it look as though
they were. I'm still checking and will have yumex do what's needed...

Old 11-08-2011, 11:00 PM
Michael Cronenworth

Joe Zeff wrote:
> http://www.zeff.us/config1.log andhttp://www.zeff.us/config2.log should
> be what you need. However, when I checked with yumex, it didn't find
> anything resembling exo-1 installed and some of the -devel packages I
> need weren't marked as installed, even though yum made it look as though
> they were. I'm still checking and will have yumex do what's needed...

From reading your config log I see the following packages not installed.

exo-devel
libnotify-devel
libxfce4ui-devel