Old 11-08-2011, 05:22 PM
Joe Zeff

Default Problem compiling programs

I've tried downloading some tarballs and compiling them, without
success. In each case, ./configure complains that it can't find one or
more libraries that I have installed. Checking, it turns out that
PKG_CONFIG_PATH isn't set.

This leads to two questions: what should it be set to and why isn't it set?

Old 11-08-2011, 06:05 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Old 11-08-2011, 06:34 PM
Joe Zeff

On 11/08/2011 11:05 AM, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Dumb question - did you install the development packages for the
> libraries in question? If not, configure will complain that it can
> not find the libraries.

Yes.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:36 PM
Andrew Haley

On 11/08/2011 06:22 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> I've tried downloading some tarballs and compiling them, without
> success. In each case, ./configure complains that it can't find one or
> more libraries that I have installed. Checking, it turns out that
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH isn't set.
>
> This leads to two questions: what should it be set to and why isn't it set?

You have to look at config.log and see what is happening. You
don't need to set PKG_CONFIG_PATH.

Andrew.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:02 PM
Joe Zeff

On 11/08/2011 12:36 PM, Andrew Haley wrote:
> You have to look at config.log and see what is happening. You
> don't need to set PKG_CONFIG_PATH.

And what should I be looking for? I haven't done any programming in
well over a decade, and when I did, I never needed to mess with
makefiles or config logs. I mentioned setting PKG_CONFIG_PATH because
I'd also asked in the XFCE forum and a core developer asked about it.