Old 11-08-2011, 04:12 PM
JB

Default F15_64: missing iptable_filter

Michael D. Berger <m.d.berger <at> ieee.org> writes:

> On my new F15_64, modprobe cannot find "iptable_filter". Also,
> find /lib -iname "*iptables*filter*"
> finds nothing.
>
> Thanks for your help.
> Mike.
>
> --
> Michael D. Berger
> m.d.berger <at> ieee.org
> http://www.rosemike.net/

First of all, you should check if such a module is in your running kernel.
$ find /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/net/ -iname "*ip*filter*"
Have you found it under ipv4 dir ? If not, then you do not have it at all or
configured.

If you did not find that iptable_filter in the very first step, ask yourself
what application or system configuration needs it ?
Becuase you may be trying to run an app (and load the module) that is too old
for your system (which as you know is evolving fast).

It is possible that the iptable_filter is not defined at all in your kernel's
source code (things are added, deleted).
This is your running kernel:
$ uname -r
To be 100% sure about that you must have access to the source code from
either:
- the web
www.kernel.org
This is the fastest method. Learn how to find and browse your kernel.
- Fedora repo (mirror)
Just download it and unpack.
- your machine
If you do not have it, learn how to download it.
Yum makes it easy, the executable is yumdownloader.

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/red-hat-fedora-linux/20689-donwload-kernel-source-using-yum.html
etc.

JB

Old 11-08-2011, 04:40 PM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 8:05 AM, Michael D. Berger <m.d.berger@ieee.org> wrote:
> On my new F15_64, modprobe cannot find "iptable_filter". Also,
> * find /lib -iname "*iptables*filter*"
> finds nothing.

iptables support is compiled into Fedora kernels and is always
available, therefore no module exists.

-T.C.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:53 PM
JB

T.C. Hollingsworth <tchollingsworth <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 8:05 AM, Michael D. Berger <m.d.berger <at> ieee.org>
wrote:
> > On my new F15_64, modprobe cannot find "iptable_filter". Also,
> > * find /lib -iname "*iptables*filter*"
> > finds nothing.
>
> iptables support is compiled into Fedora kernels and is always
> available, therefore no module exists.
>
> -T.C.

That's true, but you spoiled his searching/learning process. And mine too :-)
JB

Old 11-08-2011, 05:47 PM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 10:53 AM, JB <jb.1234abcd@gmail.com> wrote:
> T.C. Hollingsworth <tchollingsworth <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>> On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 8:05 AM, Michael D. Berger <m.d.berger <at> ieee.org>
> wrote:
>> > On my new F15_64, modprobe cannot find "iptable_filter". Also,
>> > * find /lib -iname "*iptables*filter*"
>> > finds nothing.
>>
>> iptables support is compiled into Fedora kernels and is always
>> available, therefore no module exists.
>>
>> -T.C.
>
> That's true, but you spoiled his searching/learning process. And mine too :-)

Well, to convert it back into a teaching moment: you can figure out if
modules are compiled into the kernel by checking the kernel config
file. You can find Fedora's here:
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=kernel.git;a=blob;f=config-generic

-T.C.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:08 PM
JB

T.C. Hollingsworth <tchollingsworth <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 10:53 AM, JB <jb.1234abcd <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> > T.C. Hollingsworth <tchollingsworth <at> gmail.com> writes:

> >> iptables support is compiled into Fedora kernels and is always
> >> available, therefore no module exists.
> >>
> >> -T.C.
> >
> > That's true, but you spoiled his searching/learning process. And mine too
>
> Well, to convert it back into a teaching moment: you can figure out if
> modules are compiled into the kernel by checking the kernel config
> file. You can find Fedora's here:
> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=kernel.git;a=blob;f=config-generic
>
> -T.C.

But it is not always easy/obvious what name to look for in kernel config file:
$ grep -i filter /boot/config-2.6.35.14-103.fc14.i686
< quite many results >

If first looking at kernel source code:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git;a=tree;f=net/ipv4/netfilter;hb=HEAD

you can confirm the existence of that module file:
drwxr-xr-x ..
-rw-r--r-- 11796 Kconfig blob | history | raw
-rw-r--r-- 2414 Makefile blob | history | raw
-rw-r--r-- 3158 iptable_filter.c blob | history | raw

and then you can look up that kernel config file Kconfig:
94 # `filter', generic and specific targets
95 config IP_NF_FILTER
96 tristate "Packet filtering"
97 default m if NETFILTER_ADVANCED=n
98 help
99 Packet filtering defines a table `filter', which has a series of
100 rules for simple packet filtering at local input, forwarding and
101 local output. See the man page for iptables(8).
102
103 To compile it as a module, choose M here. If unsure, say N.

which may not be so obvious to associate with our iptable_filter.c file name.
Only then you can get at it precisely:
$ grep -i IP_NF_FILTER /boot/config-2.6.35.14-103.fc14.i686 CONFIG_IP_NF_FILTER=y
and see that it is compiled in.

In other cases it could be worse than that. We depend on the mercy of a kernel
hacker with regard to clarity of description and naming conventions.

JB