Old 11-08-2011, 03:21 PM
Tim

Default key repeats

Just wondering, whether it's possible to have more fine-grained control
over key repeats when held down.

Such as, it's rarely useful to have something like the A key repeat when
held down (unless it's a control for a game), likewise with *most* other
typeable characters. Yet it's frequently useful that delete and cursor
keys do repeat.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:00 PM
fred smith

On Wed, Nov 09, 2011 at 02:51:35AM +1030, Tim wrote:
> Just wondering, whether it's possible to have more fine-grained control
> over key repeats when held down.
>
> Such as, it's rarely useful to have something like the A key repeat when
> held down (unless it's a control for a game), likewise with *most* other
> typeable characters. Yet it's frequently useful that delete and cursor
> keys do repeat.

if you're talking about tweaking the keyboard repeat rate IN AN X SESSION,
you could look up "man xset" which has a (non-obvious) syntax for tweaking
the keyboard repeat rate. I've used it in the past, don't remember the
details right now.

OTOH if you're in a character-mode virtual console (i.e., no X) most
BIOSes have an option for controlling the repeat rate that you can set
and have it always apply when at a text-mode console.

Fred

Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be no end. He
will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding
------------------------------- Isaiah 9:7 (niv) ------------------------------

Old 11-08-2011, 09:06 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Tue, 2011-11-08 at 14:00 -0500, fred smith wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 09, 2011 at 02:51:35AM +1030, Tim wrote:
> > Just wondering, whether it's possible to have more fine-grained
> control
> > over key repeats when held down.
> >
> > Such as, it's rarely useful to have something like the A key repeat
> when
> > held down (unless it's a control for a game), likewise with *most*
> other
> > typeable characters. Yet it's frequently useful that delete and
> cursor
> > keys do repeat.

System->Preferences->keyboard will do that. I am sure this can be found
in Gnome 3 somewhere.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:11 PM
Frank

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 3:06 PM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On Tue, 2011-11-08 at 14:00 -0500, fred smith wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 09, 2011 at 02:51:35AM +1030, Tim wrote:

> > Just wondering, whether it's possible to have more fine-grained

> control

> > over key repeats when held down.

> > Such as, it's rarely useful to have something like the A key repeat

> when

> > held down (unless it's a control for a game), likewise with *most*

> other

> > typeable characters. *Yet it's frequently useful that delete and

> cursor

> > keys do repeat.

System->Preferences->keyboard will do that. I am sure this can be found

in Gnome 3 somewhere.

Windows Key > 'ke' and look under the "settings" header.