Old 11-08-2011, 09:01 AM
Mattias Hellström

Default uid1000: How to install F16 with custom login.defs

I want to connect Fedora 16 to a NIS/YP/NFS server that has users from
500 and up.
I can not modify the server at this point, I can create a separate NIS
server and direct all F16 machines to this.
Users will log on to many machines at the same time, so a uid
translating NFS server sounds scary.

I see these possible solutions:
1) Some NFS hack to allow user mapping on the client
This is the best variant if it works, but modern nfs clients seams
to have removed all usable features.

2) Adding login.defs in anaconda %pre, but the /etc I see in %pre is
not the one? This means format the drivers with raid etc and mounting
them in the %pre (oh joy)
This is not a serious suggestion?

3) Installing F15 then upgrade
Installation will take much longer.

4) Hack anaconda to allow for file injection
Fun hack probably a nightmare to debug

5) Replace shadow-utils.rpm with my own on the installation source.

Please elaborate on alternative solutions and my suggested plausible ones.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:25 AM
suvayu ali

2011/11/8 Mattias Hellström <hellstrom.mattias@gmail.com>:
> Please elaborate on alternative solutions and my suggested plausible ones.

Try installing with a kickstart file. The fedoraproject wiki has
details on syntax and how to customise.

--
Suvayu

Old 11-09-2011, 09:24 AM
Mattias Hellström

> Try installing with a kickstart file. The fedoraproject wiki has
> details on syntax and how to customise.
>
> --
> Suvayu

Yes I install with kickstart. But I always do the partitioning
manually to make sure I do not format any disks I should not.

To injet a logon.defs I would first have to format the disks,and set
up the raid (my computers are all very diffrent, so this means a
custom kickstart file for every machine) programatically in the %pre,
then mount the disk and finally inject the logon.defs while also
making sure anaconda does not reformat the disk (the graphical
anaconda forbids installing to existing partition)

Old 11-09-2011, 09:31 AM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

2011/11/9 Mattias Hellström <hellstrom.mattias@gmail.com>:
> Yes I install with kickstart. But I always do the partitioning
> manually to make sure I do not format any disks I should not.
>
> To injet a logon.defs I would first have to format the disks,and set
> up the raid (my computers are all very diffrent, so this means a
> custom kickstart file for every machine) programatically in the %pre,
> then mount the disk and finally inject the logon.defs while also
> making sure anaconda does not reformat the disk (the graphical
> anaconda forbids installing to existing partition)

Why can't you do it in %post? This is exactly the type of thing it
was intended for.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Kickstart#Chapter_5._Post-installation_Script

-T.C.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:49 AM
Mattias Hellström

> Why can't you do it in %post? *This is exactly the type of thing it
> was intended for.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Kickstart#Chapter_5._Post-installation_Script
>
> -T.C.
> --
%post is run after all packages are installed? So by then its too late
to inject logon.defs.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:26 PM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

2011/11/9 Mattias Hellström <hellstrom.mattias@gmail.com>:
>> Why can't you do it in %post? *This is exactly the type of thing it
>> was intended for.
>>
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Kickstart#Chapter_5._Post-installation_Script
>>
>> -T.C.
>> --
> %post is run after all packages are installed? So by then its too late
> to inject logon.defs.

Ugh, I forgot some system daemons will be installed and eat UIDs
between 500-1000. Including your own shadow-utils with a modified
login.defs is probably the best solution.

Ideally, authconfig would gain an option to do this so that line of
the kickstart could modify it. (Although anaconda might run that too
late too, I don't know.)

-T.C.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:22 PM
suvayu ali

2011/11/9 Mattias Hellström <hellstrom.mattias@gmail.com>:
>> Why can't you do it in %post? *This is exactly the type of thing it
>> was intended for.
>>
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Kickstart#Chapter_5._Post-installation_Script
>>
>> -T.C.
>> --
> %post is run after all packages are installed? So by then its too late
> to inject logon.defs.

I think the only reasonable solution here is to package your own
shadow-utils and point yum to your custom packages repo in the
kickstart.

--
Suvayu