Old 11-07-2011, 10:32 PM
suvayu ali

Default Disabling touchpad on Dell Latitude with XFCE

Hello Oliver,

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 23:45, Oliver Ruebenacker <curoli@gmail.com> wrote:
> I got a new Dell Latitude laptop with a touchpad and installed a
> fresh F15-XFCE. The computer is difficult to use, because it is almost
> impossible to type anything without touching the touchpad, and the
> slightest touch will result in a unwanted and sometimes disastrous
> mouse click (in contrast with the mouse keys, which need to be pressed
> rather forcefully).

I am not sure the gpointing-device-settings utility works any more. But
to disable "double tap to click", you can try this in a terminal.

$ synclient TapButton1=0

To get a list of all the options just type synclient.

To execute this everytime you login to XFCE put it in
~/.config/xfce4/xinitrc as a shell script.

$ cat ~/.config/xfce4/xinitrc
#!/bin/sh
synclient TapButton1=0

Hope this helps.

--
Suvayu

Old 11-08-2011, 12:39 AM
Rick Stevens

On 11/07/2011 03:32 PM, suvayu ali wrote:
> Hello Oliver,
>
> On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 23:45, Oliver Ruebenacker <curoli@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I got a new Dell Latitude laptop with a touchpad and installed a
>> fresh F15-XFCE. The computer is difficult to use, because it is almost
>> impossible to type anything without touching the touchpad, and the
>> slightest touch will result in a unwanted and sometimes disastrous
>> mouse click (in contrast with the mouse keys, which need to be pressed
>> rather forcefully).
>
> I am not sure the gpointing-device-settings utility works any more. But
> to disable "double tap to click", you can try this in a terminal.
>
> $ synclient TapButton1=0
>
> To get a list of all the options just type synclient.
>
> To execute this everytime you login to XFCE put it in
> ~/.config/xfce4/xinitrc as a shell script.
>
> $ cat ~/.config/xfce4/xinitrc
> #!/bin/sh
> synclient TapButton1=0
>
> Hope this helps.

May not, as not all Dells use a Synaptics touchpad. My Dell Inspiron
N7110 doesn't. So, here's what I did:

1. Create "/usr/local/bin/flipdelltouchpad" containing the following
shell script:
------------------------------ CUT HERE -----------------------------
#!/bin/bash
touchpadString="PS/2 Generic Mouse"
touchpadID=$(xinput list | grep "$touchpadString" | awk -F " " '{print
$6}' | awk -F "=" '{print $2}')
touchpadEnabled=$(xinput list-props $touchpadID | grep "Device Enabled"
| awk -F ":" '{print $2}')

# Check for arguments on the command line
if [ $# -eq 1 ]; then # Any arguments?
arg1=$(echo $1 | tr [:upper:] [:lower:])
# Yes, convert to lower case
cliArg=1 # Set flag that we have one
else # There is no argument.
cliArg=0 # Clear flag
fi

if [ $cliArg -eq 1 ]; then # Did we get an argument?
if [ $arg1 = 'on' ]; then # Yes, was it "on"?
xinput --set-prop $touchpadID "Device Enabled" 1
# Yes, enable the touchpad
elif [ $arg1 = 'off' ]; then # No, was it "off"?
xinput --set-prop $touchpadID "Device Enabled" 0
# Yes, disable the touchpad
else # None of the above, so...
sleep 1 # ...sleep one second, exit
fi

else # No argument, toggle state
if [ $touchpadEnabled -eq 1 ]; then # Enabled now?
xinput --set-prop $touchpadID "Device Enabled" 0
# Yes, so disable it
else # Must be disabled, so...
xinput --set-prop $touchpadID "Device Enabled" 1
# ...enable it
fi
fi
------------------------------ CUT HERE -----------------------------
(code borrowed from Brendan Dugan, give props where they're due).

2. Save the file and chmod it 755 so it can be executed.

3. Go into Applications->Keyboard and select the "Application Shortcuts"
tab.

4. Add a new keystroke (I used Fn-F3 which will toggle the touchpad on
and off under Winblows but is ignored in Xfce) and tell it to run that
/usr/local/bin/dellfliptouchpad script when that key is hit.

Then, when you hold down "Fn" and press "F3", the touchpad will toggle
on and off. The script also supports passing in an argument, too, so

/usr/local/bin/flipdelltouchpad on

will enable the touchpad and

/usr/local/bin/flipdelltouchpad off

will disable it.

Note that on my Inspiron this does not turn the LED on and off, but
that's a small price to pay. I'll sort that out sometime, but for
now I'm happy.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:23 PM
Oliver Ruebenacker

Hello,

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 6:32 PM, suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Oliver,
>
> On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 23:45, Oliver Ruebenacker <curoli@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I got a new Dell Latitude laptop with a touchpad and installed a
>> fresh F15-XFCE. The computer is difficult to use, because it is almost
>> impossible to type anything without touching the touchpad, and the
>> slightest touch will result in a unwanted and sometimes disastrous
>> mouse click (in contrast with the mouse keys, which need to be pressed
>> rather forcefully).
>
> I am not sure the gpointing-device-settings utility works any more. But
> to disable "double tap to click", you can try this in a terminal.
>
> $ synclient TapButton1=0

It replies:

Couldn't find synaptics properties. No synaptics driver loaded?

Take care
Oliver

--
Oliver Ruebenacker, Computational Cell Biologist
Virtual Cell (http://vcell.org)

Old 11-09-2011, 11:40 PM
Oliver Ruebenacker

Hello,

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 8:39 PM, Rick Stevens <ricks@nerd.com> wrote:
> [...]
> (code borrowed from Brendan Dugan, give props where they're due).
>
> 2. Save the file and chmod it 755 so it can be executed.
>
> 3. Go into Applications->Keyboard and select the "Application Shortcuts"
> tab.
>
> 4. Add a new keystroke (I used Fn-F3 which will toggle the touchpad on
> and off under Winblows but is ignored in Xfce) and tell it to run that
> /usr/local/bin/dellfliptouchpad script when that key is hit.
>
> Then, when you hold down "Fn" and press "F3", the touchpad will toggle
> on and off. *The script also supports passing in an argument, too, so
>
> * * * */usr/local/bin/flipdelltouchpad on
>
> will enable the touchpad and
>
> * * * */usr/local/bin/flipdelltouchpad off
>
> will disable it.
>
> Note that on my Inspiron this does not turn the LED on and off, but
> that's a small price to pay. *I'll sort that out sometime, but for

Does that turn off all mouse function? I could make friends with
disabling the touchpad forever, but I would like to keep the mouse
stick (or whatever that little nob on my keyboard is called that moves
the mouse cursor if you push it).

I have a Dell Latitude E6520. Ironically, I can't open the list of
specs from the Dell website in Firefox to find out what kind of
touchpad I have.

Take care
Oliver

Old 11-10-2011, 12:12 AM
Rick Stevens

On 11/09/2011 04:40 PM, Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> 4. Add a new keystroke (I used Fn-F3 which will toggle the touchpad on
>> and off under Winblows but is ignored in Xfce) and tell it to run that
>> /usr/local/bin/dellfliptouchpad script when that key is hit.
>>
>> Then, when you hold down "Fn" and press "F3", the touchpad will toggle
>> on and off. The script also supports passing in an argument, too, so
>>
>> /usr/local/bin/flipdelltouchpad on
>>
>> will enable the touchpad and
>>
>> /usr/local/bin/flipdelltouchpad off
>>
>> will disable it.
>>
>> Note that on my Inspiron this does not turn the LED on and off, but
>> that's a small price to pay. I'll sort that out sometime, but for
>> now I'm happy.
>
> Does that turn off all mouse function? I could make friends with
> disabling the touchpad forever, but I would like to keep the mouse
> stick (or whatever that little nob on my keyboard is called that moves

No, it just disables the touchpad scroll surface itself. It doesn't
disable the mouse buttons on the touchpad or disable an external (e.g.
USB) mouse. I use it all the time with a wireless mouse.

> I have a Dell Latitude E6520. Ironically, I can't open the list of
> specs from the Dell website in Firefox to find out what kind of
> touchpad I have.

It's probably what I have. The script above should work regardless
of which touchpad you have since it pokes the X driver for the built-in
device, not the kernel driver.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:32 AM
Oliver Ruebenacker

Hello,

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 8:12 PM, Rick Stevens <ricks@nerd.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>> on and off. The script also supports passing in an argument, too, so
>>>
>>> * * * /usr/local/bin/flipdelltouchpad on
>>>
>>> will enable the touchpad and
>>>
>>> * * * /usr/local/bin/flipdelltouchpad off
>>>
>>> will disable it.
>>>
>>> Note that on my Inspiron this does not turn the LED on and off, but
>>> that's a small price to pay. I'll sort that out sometime, but for
>>> now I'm happy.
>>
>> * Does that turn off all mouse function? I could make friends with
>> disabling the touchpad forever, but I would like to keep the mouse
>> stick (or whatever that little nob on my keyboard is called that moves
>> the mouse cursor if you push it).
>
> No, it just disables the touchpad scroll surface itself. *It doesn't
> disable the mouse buttons on the touchpad or disable an external (e.g.
> USB) mouse. *I use it all the time with a wireless mouse.

What about the internal pointing stick? My system does not realize
there are two internal pointing devices, which I suppose makes it hard
to disable only one of them.

>> * I have a Dell Latitude E6520. Ironically, I can't open the list of
>> specs from the Dell website in Firefox to find out what kind of
>> touchpad I have.
>
> It's probably what I have. *The script above should work regardless
> of which touchpad you have since it pokes the X driver for the built-in
> device, not the kernel driver.

I now found that apparently, I have a MultiTouch touchpad. Dell even
offers a driver for that for Ubuntu, as a gzipped tarball. I suppose
all I need is a MutliTouch driver for F15. I already found one for
F13, but it conflicts with my system.

Ironic, of course, to install a driver for a piece of hardware in
order to avoid using it.

Take care
Oliver

Old 11-11-2011, 05:27 PM
Oliver Ruebenacker

Hello,

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 8:32 PM, Oliver Ruebenacker <curoli@gmail.com> wrote:
> *I now found that apparently, I have a MultiTouch touchpad. Dell even
> offers a driver for that for Ubuntu, as a gzipped tarball. I suppose
> all I need is a MutliTouch driver for F15. I already found one for
> F13, but it conflicts with my system.

While the specs on the Dell website called it "MultiTouch", when I
installed all the drivers on Windows, it says there the manufacturer
is Alps Electric. Where can I get a functioning driver for that one?
Thanks!

Take care
Oliver

Old 11-11-2011, 08:17 PM
Rick Stevens

On 11/11/2011 10:27 AM, Oliver Ruebenacker wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 8:32 PM, Oliver Ruebenacker <curoli@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I now found that apparently, I have a MultiTouch touchpad. Dell even
>> offers a driver for that for Ubuntu, as a gzipped tarball. I suppose
>> all I need is a MutliTouch driver for F15. I already found one for
>> F13, but it conflicts with my system.
>
> While the specs on the Dell website called it "MultiTouch", when I
> installed all the drivers on Windows, it says there the manufacturer
> is Alps Electric. Where can I get a functioning driver for that one?
> Thanks!

The ALPS touchpad works with the Synaptics driver. You can edit your
xorg.conf file and enable the SHMConfig option

Option "SHMConfig" "true"

and use the synclient program to poke it. Or use the stuff I told you
about earlier in this thread.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:16 PM
Darlene Wallach

Rick,

My name is Darlene Wallach.

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 5:39 PM, Rick Stevens <ricks@nerd.com> wrote:

On 11/07/2011 03:32 PM, suvayu ali wrote:

> Hello Oliver,

> On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 23:45, Oliver Ruebenacker <curoli@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I got a new Dell Latitude laptop with a touchpad and installed a

>> fresh F15-XFCE. The computer is difficult to use, because it is almost

>> impossible to type anything without touching the touchpad, and the

>> slightest touch will result in a unwanted and sometimes disastrous

>> mouse click (in contrast with the mouse keys, which need to be pressed

>> rather forcefully).

> I am not sure the gpointing-device-settings utility works any more. But

> to disable "double tap to click", you can try this in a terminal.

> $ synclient TapButton1=0

> To get a list of all the options just type synclient.

> To execute this everytime you login to XFCE put it in

> ~/.config/xfce4/xinitrc as a shell script.

> $ cat ~/.config/xfce4/xinitrc

> #!/bin/sh

> synclient TapButton1=0

> Hope this helps.

I have a LinuxCertified laptop.
*

May not, as not all Dells use a Synaptics touchpad. *My Dell Inspiron

N7110 doesn't. *So, here's what I did:

1. Create "/usr/local/bin/flipdelltouchpad" containing the following

shell script:

------------------------------ CUT HERE -----------------------------

#!/bin/bash

touchpadString="PS/2 Generic Mouse"

touchpadID=$(xinput list | grep "$touchpadString" | awk -F " " '{print

$6}' | awk -F "=" '{print $2}')

touchpadEnabled=$(xinput list-props $touchpadID | grep "Device Enabled"

| awk -F ":" '{print $2}')

# Check for arguments on the command line

if [ $# -eq 1 ]; then * * * * * * * * * # Any arguments?

* *arg1=$(echo $1 | tr [:upper:] [:lower:])

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *# Yes, convert to lower case

* *cliArg=1 * * * * * * * * * * * * * *# Set flag that we have one

else * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *# There is no argument.

* *cliArg=0 * * * * * * * * * * * * * *# Clear flag

fi

if [ $cliArg -eq 1 ]; then * * * * * * *# Did we get an argument?

* *if [ $arg1 = 'on' ]; then * * * * * # Yes, was it "on"?

* * * *xinput --set-prop $touchpadID "Device Enabled" 1

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *# Yes, enable the touchpad

* *elif [ $arg1 = 'off' ]; then * * * *# No, was it "off"?

* * * *xinput --set-prop $touchpadID "Device Enabled" 0

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *# Yes, disable the touchpad

* *else * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *# None of the above, so...

* * * *sleep 1 * * * * * * * * * * * * # ...sleep one second, exit

* *fi

else * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *# No argument, toggle state

* *if [ $touchpadEnabled -eq 1 ]; then # Enabled now?

* * * *xinput --set-prop $touchpadID "Device Enabled" 0

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *# Yes, so disable it

* *else * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *# Must be disabled, so...

* * * *xinput --set-prop $touchpadID "Device Enabled" 1

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *# ...enable it

* *fi

fi

------------------------------ CUT HERE -----------------------------

(code borrowed from Brendan Dugan, give props where they're due).

2. Save the file and chmod it 755 so it can be executed.

3. Go into Applications->Keyboard and select the "Application Shortcuts"

tab.

4. Add a new keystroke (I used Fn-F3 which will toggle the touchpad on

and off under Winblows but is ignored in Xfce) and tell it to run that

/usr/local/bin/dellfliptouchpad script when that key is hit.

Then, when you hold down "Fn" and press "F3", the touchpad will toggle

on and off. *The script also supports passing in an argument, too, so

* * * */usr/local/bin/flipdelltouchpad on

will enable the touchpad and

* * * */usr/local/bin/flipdelltouchpad off

will disable it.

I couldn't get the keyboard short cut to work but the cli works *great*! Thank you very much for the script. I've been trying to disable my touchpad since I bought the laptop. My old laptop actually had a button that disabled the touchpad.

*

Note that on my Inspiron this does not turn the LED on and off, but

that's a small price to pay. *I'll sort that out sometime, but for

now I'm happy.

I'm very happy to be able to disable my touchpad as I use a USB mouse.

Thank you very much!

Darlene Wallach
--
equal justice under law

Old 11-11-2011, 10:05 PM
Rick Stevens

On 11/11/2011 02:16 PM, Darlene Wallach wrote:
> [...]
>> /usr/local/bin/dellfliptouchpad script when that key is hit.
>>
>> Then, when you hold down "Fn" and press "F3", the touchpad will toggle
>> on and off. The script also supports passing in an argument, too, so
>>
>> /usr/local/bin/flipdelltouchpad on
>>
>> will enable the touchpad and
>>
>> /usr/local/bin/flipdelltouchpad off
>>
>> will disable it.
>>

> I couldn't get the keyboard short cut to work but the cli works *great*!
> Thank you very much for the script. I've been trying to disable my touchpad
> since I bought the laptop. My old laptop actually had a button that
> disabled the touchpad.
>

>> Note that on my Inspiron this does not turn the LED on and off, but
>> that's a small price to pay. I'll sort that out sometime, but for
>> now I'm happy.
>>

> I'm very happy to be able to disable my touchpad as I use a USB mouse.

Glad to help, Darlene. There's probably a button or a keystroke on your
machine that disables the touchpad. My old HP had a separate button as
your old machine did. This Dell requires you to hold down
the key with the orange "Fn" logo, then press the F3 key (which has an
orange graphic of the touchpad with an "X" through it on the key).

If you can find that magic widget, it MAY be available to the GUI. The
only way to find out is to run xev, put your mouse pointer in the
window that xev opens and press the button/keystroke/whatever. If you
get events, you should be able to capture those in the keyboard
shortcut thing to do the toggle.

Here's a sample event I get with the "Fn-F3" keypress:

KeymapNotify event, serial 35, synthetic NO, window 0x0,
keys: 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Yours will undoubtedly differ, but the important thing is the event
itself. If you get events, the shortcut trick should work.