Old 03-22-2008, 09:25 AM
Michael Schwendt

Default config audacity

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 09:53:27 +0100, François Patte wrote:

> Bonjour,
>
> I try to use audacity to record from lin or CD without any success.
>
> I can see 6 entries: Front Micboost:0, Mic:0, Capture:0, Capture:1
> Capture:2, Digital:0
>
> None of them works.... (only Mic with a microphone) what are these entries?

Welcome to the world of ALSA and incomplete/defective ALSA support in
Audacity. You may need to choose a different Recording device in the
Preferences, and if that doesn't make the "Line" and "CD" channels show
up, try a later version and hope for improvement. For example: Does the
following version work better? (x86_64 build in the same directory)
http://mschwendt.fedorapeople.org/audacity/audacity-1.3.4-0.4.20080123cvs.fc8.i386.rpm

Old 03-22-2008, 01:46 PM
"Andras Simon"

On 3/22/08, François Patte <francois.patte@math-info.univ-paris5.fr> wrote:

> Le 22.03.2008 11:25, Michael Schwendt a écrit :
> | On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 09:53:27 +0100, François Patte wrote:
> |
> |> Bonjour,
> |>
> |> I try to use audacity to record from lin or CD without any success.
> |>
> |> I can see 6 entries: Front Micboost:0, Mic:0, Capture:0, Capture:1
> |> Capture:2, Digital:0
> |>
> |> None of them works.... (only Mic with a microphone) what are these
> entries?
> |
> | Welcome to the world of ALSA and incomplete/defective ALSA support in
> | Audacity. You may need to choose a different Recording device in the
> | Preferences, and if that doesn't make the "Line" and "CD" channels show
> | up, try a later version and hope for improvement. For example: Does the
> | following version work better? (x86_64 build in the same directory)
> |
> http://mschwendt.fedorapeople.org/audacity/audacity-1.3.4-0.4.20080123cvs.fc8.i386.rpm
>
> Same input devices...
>
> I can choose 4 different devices in preferences:
>
> ALSA: HDA Intel: ALC882 Analog(hw:0,0)
> ~ HDA Intel: ALC882 Analog(hw:0,2)

Try ALC882 Analog(hw:0,0), and also set the Input Sources in alsamixer
to Line or CD. At least that's what works for me.

> Only the first one gives me a choice in input device
>
> OSS:/dev/osp

I can't parse this, sorry.

Andras

Old 03-22-2008, 03:15 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 15:46:22 +0100, Andras Simon wrote:

> > OSS:/dev/osp
>
> I can't parse this, sorry.
>
> Andras

It contains a typo, should read:
OSS: /dev/dsp

which refers to the older sound driver system, which is still supported in
Audacity (because PortAudio offers it in addition to ALSA, JACK and
others).