Old 11-07-2011, 05:54 PM
linux guy

Default wildcards to list a group of files in sequential numerical order ?

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 11:29 AM, Miner, Jonathan W (US SSA)
<jonathan.w.miner@baesystems.com> wrote:

> Not sure that shell globbing will work here... but you could do something like this in bash:
<snip>

Thanks for confirming that. I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing
something easy.

Also, thanks to whomever fixed my bounced post to the group !

Old 11-07-2011, 06:17 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Mon, 2011-11-07 at 10:28 -0700, linux guy wrote:
> I'd like to list all the files with names between DSC_6035.NEF and
> DSC_6072.NEF.
>
> How do I do this ?
>
> I tried using DSC_[6035-6072].NEF, but that doesn't work. It lists
> files outside the desired range.

[6035-6072] means "any single character equal to one of
6,0,3,5,'lexically between 5 and 6 inclusive',6,0,7,2".

IOW any single character in the set {0,2,3,5,6,7}.

poc

Old 11-07-2011, 08:09 PM
Robert Nichols

On 11/07/2011 12:54 PM, linux guy wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 11:29 AM, Miner, Jonathan W (US SSA)
> <jonathan.w.miner@baesystems.com> wrote:
>
>> Not sure that shell globbing will work here... but you could do something like this in bash:
> <snip>
>
> Thanks for confirming that. I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing
> something easy.

You might try doing that with a shell sequence operator instead of globbing:

ls DSC_{6035..6072}.NEF

That's going to blindly generate all the numbers in that sequence without
regard to whether all those files actually exist, so you might want to
redirect stderr to /dev/null to get rid of the complaints from 'ls'.

Do NOT delete it.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:16 PM
Rich

On 11/7/2011 1:54 PM, linux guy wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 11:29 AM, Miner, Jonathan W (US SSA)
> <jonathan.w.miner@baesystems.com> wrote:
>
>> Not sure that shell globbing will work here... but you could do something like this in bash:
> <snip>
>
> Thanks for confirming that. I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing
> something easy.
>
> Also, thanks to whomever fixed my bounced post to the group !

I believe what you want is DSC_60{3[5-9],[4-6][0-9],7[0-2]}.NEF

Old 11-07-2011, 08:51 PM
suvayu ali

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 22:09, Robert Nichols <rnicholsNOSPAM@comcast.net> wrote:
> You might try doing that with a shell sequence operator instead of globbing:
>
> * *ls DSC_{6035..6072}.NEF

To add to that for completeness, this is known as brace expansion. For
a detailed discussion, see man bash under "Brace Expansion".

HTH

--
Suvayu

Old 11-07-2011, 08:56 PM

On 11/07/2011 05:28 PM, linux guy wrote:
> I'd like to list all the files with names between DSC_6035.NEF and
> DSC_6072.NEF.
>
> How do I do this ?

if you can handle a few before and after, use;

ls DSC_60[37]?.NEF.

if not;

ls DSC_603[5-9].NEF;ls DSC_60[4-6]?.NEF;ls DSC_607[0-2].NEF

there are some tricks you could use by redirecting to a file and then
listing from file, but that would involve a lot more and you would have
everything in a single column. which would be ok if using 'ls -l'.

hth
--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

*please reply "plain text" only. "html text" are deleted*

****
**
**
**
So I installed Linux.
**
learn linux:
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****

Old 11-07-2011, 09:05 PM

On 11/07/2011 09:51 PM, suvayu ali wrote:
<>

> To add to that for completeness, this is known as brace expansion. For
> a detailed discussion, see man bash under "Brace Expansion".

forgot about that trick. 8-(

good to see Rich did not. 8-)

--

peace out.