Old 11-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Gerhard Magnus

Default corrupted MAC error -- fixed but not solved

Here's the problem -- fixed, but not solved:

A small LAN with three boxes and hardwired ethernet connections through
a router.
PuteF: server, running FC15 (x86) and LXDE
PuteB: running FC13 (386) and gnome
PuteD: running FC15 (386) and KDE

I can transfer files between PuteB and PuteD using scp without any
problems. Regardless of which machine the scp is initiated on, all file
transfers between PuteF and PuteB, and between PuteF and PuteD fail with
the error message "Corrupted MAC on input. Disconnecting: Packet
corrupt. lost connection." The time this takes to happen varies within a
few minutes.

Things tried without success:
(1) installing a new ethernet card on PuteF and connecting it to the
router with a new cable
(2) connecting PuteF and PuteB using every possible combination of ports
on the router
(3) running a new long ethernet cable directly from PuteB to PuteF
(4) reinstalling FC15 (x86) on PuteF
(5) installing the 386 version of FC15 on PuteF

What worked:
Installing FC14 (x86) on PuteF -- which, obviously, is only a short-term
fix.

Is this a bug in FC15? Or a feature of FC15 that can't deal with my
older hardware? Assuming the latter, how old is "too old" hardware for
FC15? I bought the box (Intel dual core with 4GB memory) in 2007 from
one of those priceless dealers who builds them and is then a victim of
his success. There haven't been any problems with this box (despite a
lot of use) until a hard drive crash about a month ago, when I took it
into the shop for a full checkup. (Presumably this would have included
memory diagnostics.) The hard drives are also new. I started having
these problems as soon as I installed FC15 (x86).

Old 11-07-2011, 03:56 PM
Tim

On Mon, 2011-11-07 at 05:08 -0800, Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> how old is "too old" hardware for FC15?

There's no answer for that. Some old hardware may lose its support
because some bugs remain unresolved and a person doesn't step up and
resolve them, or someone decides that they could thin the code down by
removing what they think is hardware that nobody still users. It's not
going to be a date that anything and everything older than that will be
dropped.

> I bought the box (Intel dual core with 4GB memory) in 2007 from
> one of those priceless dealers who builds them and is then a victim of
> his success. There haven't been any problems with this box (despite a
> lot of use) until a hard drive crash about a month ago, when I took it
> into the shop for a full checkup. (Presumably this would have included
> memory diagnostics.)

I wouldn't presume anything. Some shops only test that a thing boots
up, not that it continues to work after booting. Some only test memory
as far as the BIOS says that it found 4GB of RAM, and presume that means
all is okay. And if you didn't ask for the memory to be tested, they
may not bother to test it.

Do you know why the hard drive crashed? If it were something like a
mains spike that upset the drive, it could have damaged other things at
the same time.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686