Old 11-05-2011, 04:00 PM
Frode

Default Preparing for F16 / uid/gid limit

In preparation for F16, I wonder what the best approach to handling the
new uid/gid limit is. I'm not upgrading, so the new limit will be in
effect after installing the new Fedora.

I always keep the old version for at least the duration of the next
release cycle, so I can go back in case of trouble. I keep all user
created data on a separate partition that I mount and then symlink
directories into the filesystem (e.g. ~/work, firefox/thunderbird
profiles), but have a separate /home/[username] for each version of
Fedora. (Just in case some user settings might change in incompatible
ways. Ref F14-F15)

The change is in raising the limit, but are there actually accounts
created in the range between the old and the new limit when installing,
or can I just change back the uid/gid numbers and the limit in
/etc/login.defs afterwards?

The other option would be to change uid/gid for all files and modify F15
accordingly. Would this require me to change more than uid/gid for all
the files and user accounts?

I guess 'chown -R newUID:newGID ~/*' would be the wrong way to do this,
if there are files with other values for oldUID/oldGID?

Frode Petersen

Old 11-05-2011, 04:35 PM
Ian Chapman

On 06/11/11 01:00, Frode wrote:

> The other option would be to change uid/gid for all files and modify F15
> accordingly. Would this require me to change more than uid/gid for all
> the files and user accounts?
>
> I guess 'chown -R newUID:newGID ~/*' would be the wrong way to do this,
> if there are files with other values for oldUID/oldGID?

I pretty much did that when moving from F14 to F16. I backed up my /home
volume and did a clean install of F16. This box originally started life
as F9 and had been yum upgraded ever since.

After installing, I restored my files to the /home partition and more or
less did something along the lines of:

find /home -uid 500 -exec chown ian '{}' ;
find /home -gid 500 -exec chgrp ian '{}' ;

Where the uid and gid values are my old ones. You probably want to do
that in all locations where you know you've stored files or the brute
force approach and start from / but be careful if you have network
mounts etc.

--
Ian Chapman.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:05 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Sat, 2011-11-05 at 18:00 +0100, Frode wrote:
> I guess 'chown -R newUID:newGID ~/*' would be the wrong way to do
> this, if there are files with other values for oldUID/oldGID?

You might consider 'chown -R --from oldUIDldGID newUID:newGID ...'.
This will affect only files belonging to oldUIDldGID. See chown(1).
And of course repeat for all UID:GID combos you have under the new
limit.

But be prepared for gotchas all the same, especially from backups taken
with the old IDs, NFS mounts etc. I don't think there's a clean,
completely automatic way of dealing with all the corner cases.

poc

Old 11-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Frode

Den 05. nov. 2011 18:35, skrev Ian Chapman:
> On 06/11/11 01:00, Frode wrote:
>
>> The other option would be to change uid/gid for all files and modify F15
>> accordingly. Would this require me to change more than uid/gid for all
>> the files and user accounts?
>>
>> I guess 'chown -R newUID:newGID ~/*' would be the wrong way to do this,
>> if there are files with other values for oldUID/oldGID?
>
> I pretty much did that when moving from F14 to F16. I backed up my /home
> volume and did a clean install of F16. This box originally started life
> as F9 and had been yum upgraded ever since.
>
> After installing, I restored my files to the /home partition and more or
> less did something along the lines of:
>
> find /home -uid 500 -exec chown ian '{}' ;
> find /home -gid 500 -exec chgrp ian '{}' ;
>
> Where the uid and gid values are my old ones. You probably want to do
> that in all locations where you know you've stored files or the brute
> force approach and start from / but be careful if you have network
> mounts etc.

Thanks for the answers, Patrick and Ian. I guess I'll just get the
uid/gid changover done now instead of waiting for the next Fedora. It
must be done at some point anyway.

Frode

Old 11-05-2011, 05:57 PM
Frode

Den 05. nov. 2011 19:29, skrev Frode:
> Den 05. nov. 2011 18:35, skrev Ian Chapman:
>> On 06/11/11 01:00, Frode wrote:
>>
>>> The other option would be to change uid/gid for all files and modify F15
>>> accordingly. Would this require me to change more than uid/gid for all
>>> the files and user accounts?
>>>
>>> I guess 'chown -R newUID:newGID ~/*' would be the wrong way to do this,
>>> if there are files with other values for oldUID/oldGID?
>>
>> I pretty much did that when moving from F14 to F16. I backed up my /home
>> volume and did a clean install of F16. This box originally started life
>> as F9 and had been yum upgraded ever since.
>>
>> After installing, I restored my files to the /home partition and more or
>> less did something along the lines of:
>>
>> find /home -uid 500 -exec chown ian '{}' ;
>> find /home -gid 500 -exec chgrp ian '{}' ;
>>
>> Where the uid and gid values are my old ones. You probably want to do
>> that in all locations where you know you've stored files or the brute
>> force approach and start from / but be careful if you have network
>> mounts etc.
>>

> Thanks for the answers, Patrick and Ian. I guess I'll just get the
> uid/gid changover done now instead of waiting for the next Fedora. It
> must be done at some point anyway.
>
> Frode

Sorry to drag this on a bit more...

The move from F15 to F16 {u,g}id will work without problems, I think. I
may have been a bit unclear about installing F16 in a separate partition
set, while keeping F15 as well in its old partition set, both having
access to the same files in a common partition set. While I think that
the move from the old to the new uid/gid numbers will work for F16 and
access to user files in F15, my uncertainty revolves around whether
there are other things that could be a problem when changing the uid/gid
for an existing account in F15, e.g. files in /etc or other places that
might need to be modified as well. (I know /etc is not supposed to hold
user specific info; just using it as an example).

Frode

Old 11-06-2011, 08:00 AM
Ian Chapman

On 06/11/11 02:57, Frode wrote:

> there are other things that could be a problem when changing the uid/gid
> for an existing account in F15, e.g. files in /etc or other places that
> might need to be modified as well. (I know /etc is not supposed to hold
> user specific info; just using it as an example).

Other than updating the ownership of the files in the homespace and any
specific place you've decided to store the files, there shouldn't be a
problem providing the changes to /etc/passwd,/etc/shadow,/etc/group and
so on are correct. If you access files over a network share for example
using NFS, you may need to update the ownership on those files too.

--
Ian Chapman.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Tim

On Sat, 2011-11-05 at 19:57 +0100, Frode wrote:
> my uncertainty revolves around whether there are other things that
> could be a problem when changing the uid/gid for an existing account
> in F15, e.g. files in /etc or other places that might need to be
> modified as well. (I know /etc is not supposed to hold user specific
> info; just using it as an example).

Do you run mailservers, webservers, fileservers? Do any of those have
personal files outside of /home?

Mailservers usually have the user's inbox in /var/spool/mail.
Webservers usually have /var/www/html for their default serving space.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:55 AM
Frode

Den 06. nov. 2011 12:21, skrev Tim:
> On Sat, 2011-11-05 at 19:57 +0100, Frode wrote:
>> my uncertainty revolves around whether there are other things that
>> could be a problem when changing the uid/gid for an existing account
>> in F15, e.g. files in /etc or other places that might need to be
>> modified as well. (I know /etc is not supposed to hold user specific
>> info; just using it as an example).
>
> Do you run mailservers, webservers, fileservers? Do any of those have
> personal files outside of /home?
>
> Mailservers usually have the user's inbox in /var/spool/mail.
> Webservers usually have /var/www/html for their default serving space.

Not at this point.

Thanks to all who helped me get rid of the uncertainties I had!

Frode