Old 03-21-2008, 11:00 PM
Michael Beckwith

Default Firefox Personas

It's still early in its overall development, but I think this is
something that we should definitely look into.

http://labs.mozilla.com/2007/12/personas-for-firefox/

Very cool potential and I'll probably be trying out a design for Fedora.
For you inkscape users, there is an Inkscape podcast about creating the
graphics located at

http://screencasters.heathenx.org/episode-048/

--
~Michael
http://ridleytx.structed.net (for now)

Old 01-22-2010, 03:27 AM
Max Spevack

Hey design team,

This email is the result of me just wandering around addons.mozilla.org
for a while looking for anything interesting. I'm curious if you've
seen these Fedora-related personas for Firefox.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search?q=fedora&cat=personas&appid=1&pp=5

Couple of thoughts:

(1) It might be cool for the Fedora Design Team to make some official
ones for either different versions and/or spins of Fedora.

(2) There might be some recruiting fodder in here, to invite some of
these designers to join the team. The information below is what I found
on Google:

http://www.getpersonas.com/gallery/designer/pshevtsov -- has written in
to Ask Fedora a few times in Fedora Weekly News.

http://www.getpersonas.com/en-US/gallery/designer/dfragnul -- couldn't
really find anything.

http://www.getpersonas.com/en-US/gallery/designer/magjogui -- already a
Fedora contributor (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Magjogui) and on
the Cc.

http://www.getpersonas.com/en-US/gallery/Designer/Kenshin__ -- the page
says "Open-source Artworker"

http://www.getpersonas.com/en-US/gallery/designer/marvin5700 -- Google
doesn't actually show much.

Gotta love the internets.

--Max

Old 01-22-2010, 05:39 AM
Hristo Petkov

Hi Max,
Thank you for the firefox add-ons. They are great.

Best regards,
Christo Petkov

Old 01-22-2010, 06:11 AM
Luya Tshimbalanga

Old 01-22-2010, 06:32 AM
Nicu Buculei

On 01/22/2010 09:11 AM, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> On 21/01/10 08:27 PM, Max Spevack wrote:
>> This email is the result of me just wandering around addons.mozilla.org
>> for a while looking for anything interesting. I'm curious if you've
>> seen these Fedora-related personas for Firefox.
>>
>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search?q=fedora&cat=personas&appid=1&pp=5
>>
>> Couple of thoughts:
>>
>> (1) It might be cool for the Fedora Design Team to make some official
>> ones for either different versions and/or spins of Fedora.
> Definitely agree on that one. We may port the current wallpaper from
> Fedora 12 in this current Firefox 3.5.7.

While I see no problem with stamping such a skin as "official", I want
to make my voice heard against just in the cases someone propose
shipping the default browser pre-configured to look like that: it would
be a *bad thing*, a violation of the GNOME HiG and an inconsistency in
the desktop.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:56 AM
Sebastien

Hi !I received a mail from the fedora-fr forum about this topic speaking about Fedora's Firefox Personas. I'm one of these artworkers, and I designed the Personas "Fedora-fr". I'll be glad to help the Fedora Artwork Team.

About me, I'm a 19 years old french Fedora lover, and my skills with Gimp are very limited...but I would like to be better. Let's visit my website and/or my Twitter account :

http://gyakusatsu.free.fr/geek-blog/http://twitter.com/Kenshin__
See you.

Sebastien Natroll.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:18 AM
Nicu Buculei

On 01/22/2010 10:56 AM, Sebastien wrote:
> Hi !

Hi Sebastien,

> I received a mail from the fedora-fr forum about this topic speaking
> about Fedora's Firefox Personas. I'm one of these artworkers, and I
> designed the Personas "Fedora-fr". I'll be glad to help the Fedora
> Artwork Team.

Nice to hear you want to become a contributor

> About me, I'm a 19 years old french Fedora lover, and my skills with
> Gimp are very limited...but I would like to be better.

Playing with the graphics is an excellent way to learn.

Speaking about Personas, as I am still on FF 3.5 from F12, and wanting
to understand more what they are about I did a read on
http://www.getpersonas.com/en-US/demo_create

Is correct my assumption the Personas Max pointed about earlier are
pretty much crops from the wallpapers?
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search?q=fedora&cat=personas&appid=1&pp=5

Old 01-22-2010, 01:52 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 09:32:13AM +0200, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> On 01/22/2010 09:11 AM, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> > On 21/01/10 08:27 PM, Max Spevack wrote:
> >> This email is the result of me just wandering around addons.mozilla.org
> >> for a while looking for anything interesting. I'm curious if you've
> >> seen these Fedora-related personas for Firefox.
> >>
> >> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search?q=fedora&cat=personas&appid=1&pp=5
> >>
> >> Couple of thoughts:
> >>
> >> (1) It might be cool for the Fedora Design Team to make some official
> >> ones for either different versions and/or spins of Fedora.
> > Definitely agree on that one. We may port the current wallpaper from
> > Fedora 12 in this current Firefox 3.5.7.
>
> While I see no problem with stamping such a skin as "official", I want
> to make my voice heard against just in the cases someone propose
> shipping the default browser pre-configured to look like that: it would
> be a *bad thing*, a violation of the GNOME HiG and an inconsistency in
> the desktop.

You make a good point Nicu. Are you interested instead in reaching
out to some of those theme-makers, to see if they'd like to get
involved in other aspects of the Design Team?

Old 01-22-2010, 01:54 PM
Matthias Clasen

On Fri, 2010-01-22 at 09:32 +0200, Nicu Buculei wrote:

> While I see no problem with stamping such a skin as "official", I want
> to make my voice heard against just in the cases someone propose
> shipping the default browser pre-configured to look like that: it would
> be a *bad thing*, a violation of the GNOME HiG and an inconsistency in
> the desktop.

I agree.

arstechnica had it about right: "...to boldly go where no user interface
ever should"

Old 01-22-2010, 02:20 PM
Nicu Buculei

On 01/22/2010 04:52 PM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 09:32:13AM +0200, Nicu Buculei wrote:
>> While I see no problem with stamping such a skin as "official", I want
>> to make my voice heard against just in the cases someone propose
>> shipping the default browser pre-configured to look like that: it would
>> be a *bad thing*, a violation of the GNOME HiG and an inconsistency in
>> the desktop.
>
> You make a good point Nicu. Are you interested instead in reaching
> out to some of those theme-makers, to see if they'd like to get
> involved in other aspects of the Design Team?

From the existing Firefox Personas images (according with the data
provided by Max), only Sebastien (Kenshin) did *some* amount of original
work and he already joined the list. The other themes are just some
basic crop from an existing image (and I don't want to go there, but is
use of our CC-BY-SA work without attribution).