Old 11-04-2011, 01:35 PM

Default JDK 7 status and IcedTea

Hi there,

Thanks for the quick replies.

And about OpenJDK6 packates included on Fedora, I guess they are also built using IcedTea. But are they certified?

And I guess correctly openjdk6/7 packages in Ubuntu and Debian are also built from IcedTea? Certification is the same for them or each linux distro has to make their own certification?

[]s, Fernando Lozano

Old 11-04-2011, 02:00 PM
Andrew Haley

On 11/04/2011 02:35 PM, fernando@lozano.eti.br wrote:

> And about OpenJDK6 packates included on Fedora, I guess they are
> also built using IcedTea. But are they certified?

Yes.

> And I guess correctly openjdk6/7 packages in Ubuntu and Debian are
> also built from IcedTea? Certification is the same for them or each
> linux distro has to make their own certification?

The latter: only binaries can be certified. They build from source,
so they have to do it themselves. I don't know if they do.

Andrew.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:43 PM

Hi there,

You simply run the TCK for each package update? Or is it a more involved process, with auditing and etc?

[]s Fernando Lozano

Old 11-04-2011, 03:49 PM
Andrew Haley

On 11/04/2011 04:43 PM, fernando@lozano.eti.br wrote:

>> From: Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com>
>>
>>> And I guess correctly openjdk6/7 packages in Ubuntu and Debian are
>>> also built from IcedTea? Certification is the same for them or each
>>> linux distro has to make their own certification?
>>
>> The latter: only binaries can be certified. They build from source,
>> so they have to do it themselves. I don't know if they do.
>
> You simply run the TCK for each package update? Or is it a more
> involved process, with auditing and etc?

Please don't top-post.

It's just the TCK, but there's nothing "simply" about it.
http://icedtea.classpath.org/wiki/JCKDistilled

Andrew.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:52 PM

Hi there,

Thanks a lot. But I don't understand, what is "top-post" ?

[]s, Fernando Lozano

Old 11-04-2011, 03:54 PM
Andrew Haley

On 11/04/2011 04:52 PM, fernando@lozano.eti.br wrote:
> But I don't understand, what is "top-post" ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Top-posting

Andrew.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:05 PM
Joe Zeff

On 11/04/2011 09:52 AM, fernando@lozano.eti.br wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Thanks a lot. But I don't understand, what is "top-post" ?

Top post is what you did when you put your reply at the top of the
message instead of below the quoted text as is considered proper for
this mailing list. Yes, I know that some email programs put the cursor
at the top of the reply, but there's nothing stopping you from moving it
down to where it belongs.

Top posting is considered bad manners in most technical fora because it
reverses the normal order of conversations, putting the answer before
the question.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:10 PM
Andrew Haley

On 11/04/2011 05:05 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> Top posting is considered bad manners in most technical fora because it
> reverses the normal order of conversations, putting the answer before
> the question.

Resuming an old thread, just to clarify one point:

This meant the community and/or Red Hat did not get the JSR-336 TCK yet. It doesn't mean there is any problem with license or process that prevents Fedora to get the TCK and certifiy OpenJDK 7 finaries for F16 or a future release.

Am I correct? If I am, is there a timeframe for certified builds? I'd hate having to get Oracle proprietaty binaries just to satisfy bureucratic requirements. :-(

And while we're talking about Java 7, I heard about serious problems preventing some open source packages like Lucene from running under Java 7 on production settings. Anyone on the list can vouch for Java 7 in full production, or can based on experience advise against that? I rememeber all first releases (.1, .3) of JDK were somewat problematic (bugs).

[]s, Fernando Lozano

Old 11-29-2011, 02:21 PM
Andrew Haley

On 11/29/2011 11:33 AM, fernando@lozano.eti.br wrote:

> [...]

Yes.

> If I am, is there a timeframe for certified builds?

No.

> I'd hate having to get Oracle proprietaty binaries just to satisfy
> bureucratic requirements. :-(
>
> And while we're talking about Java 7, I heard about serious problems
> preventing some open source packages like Lucene from running under
> Java 7 on production settings.

That is ancient history. This bug was fixed almost instantly in
IcedTea devel, and no release was ever shipped with this bug either.

Andrew.