Old 11-04-2011, 01:05 PM

Default JDK 7 status and IcedTea

Hi there,

I saw messages on the archives stating that OpenJDK 7 would be the default Java for Fedora, such as:
http://osdir.com/ml/fedora-devel-list/2011-08/msg01586.html

But the features page states that OpenJDK 6 will be the default, which OpenJDK 7 as an optional preview:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Java7

Which is correct? There was any FESCo decision about this?

I also see that we have IcedTea 2.0. Will Fedora OpenJDK 7 be based on IcedTea 2 or on java.net OpenJDK 7 sources?

And what about certification? Is there a TCK for Java 7? Will OpenJDK 7 on Fedora be certified for Fedora 16 at release or at a later update?

[]s, Fernando Lozano

Old 11-04-2011, 01:10 PM
Deepak Bhole

* fernando@lozano.eti.br <fernando@lozano.eti.br> [2011-11-04 10:05]:
> Hi there,
> I saw messages on the archives stating that OpenJDK 7 would be the
> default Java for Fedora, such as:
> http://osdir.com/ml/fedora-devel-list/2011-08/msg01586.html
> But the features page states that OpenJDK 6 will be the default, which
> OpenJDK 7 as an optional preview:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Java7
> Which is correct? There was any FESCo decision about this?
> I also see that we have IcedTea 2.0. Will Fedora OpenJDK 7 be based on
> IcedTea 2 or on java.net OpenJDK 7 sources?
> And what about certification? Is there a TCK for Java 7? Will OpenJDK 7
> on Fedora be certified for Fedora 16 at release or at a later update?
> []s, Fernando Lozano

6 will be the default and 7 will be optional in F16. In F17, 7 will be
default and 6 will be optional.

The original intent was to make 7 the default in F16, but we had to
abandon that approach after discovering multiple package build failures
with 7. Since building some packages with 7 and some with 6 would break
compatibility, we decided to stay with 6 as default.

Cheers,
Deepak

Old 11-04-2011, 01:12 PM
Andrew Haley

On 11/04/2011 02:05 PM, fernando@lozano.eti.br wrote:

> I saw messages on the archives stating that OpenJDK 7 would be the default
> Java for Fedora, such as:
> http://osdir.com/ml/fedora-devel-list/2011-08/msg01586.html
>
> But the features page states that OpenJDK 6 will be the default, which
> OpenJDK 7 as an optional preview:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Java7
>
> Which is correct? There was any FESCo decision about this?

Yes, there was. OpenJDK 7 is a tech preview.

> I also see that we have IcedTea 2.0. Will Fedora OpenJDK 7 be based on
> IcedTea 2 or on java.net OpenJDK 7 sources?

The preview of Fedora's OpenJDK 7 is based on the IcedTea7 Forest.
The rest is TBD.

> And what about certification? Is there a TCK for Java 7? Will OpenJDK 7 on
> Fedora be certified for Fedora 16 at release or at a later update?
> []s, Fernando Lozano

We haven't got the TCK for Java 7 yet. We'll certify as soon as
we do.

Andrew.