Old 11-03-2011, 12:49 AM
Joe Zeff

Default corrupted MAC error using scp

On 11/02/2011 06:01 PM, Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> Based on what I read on the Web about this
> error I assumed the hardware was at fault. So I put in a new ethernet
> card on PuteF and connected it to the router with a new cable. But I
> still get the "Corrupted MAC" error.

I would have tried a new cable by itself, first. Then, I would have
tried switching the server to a spare port on the router if there is
one. If not, I'd switch the server and one of the two other machines to
see if the issue follows the port or the machine.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:31 PM
Roberto Ragusa

On 11/03/2011 02:01 AM, Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> I'm at my wits end with this problem:
>
> A small LAN with three boxes and hardwired ethernet connections through
> a router.
> PuteF: server, running FC15 (x86) and LXDE
> PuteB: running FC13 (386) and gnome
> PuteD: running FC15 (386) and KDE
>
> I can transfer files between PuteB and PuteD using scp without any
> problems. Regardless of which machine the scp is initiated on, all file
> transfers between PuteF and PuteB, and between PuteF and PuteD fail with
> the error message "Corrupted MAC on input. Disconnecting: Packet
> corrupt. lost connection." The time this takes to happen varies within a
> few minutes.
>
> Based my not getting this error for file transfers between PuteB and
> PuteD (running FC13 and FC15, respectively) I assumed (1) the problem is
> with PuteF or its connectivity, and (2) the problem does not involve
> different versions of Fedora. Based on what I read on the Web about this
> error I assumed the hardware was at fault. So I put in a new ethernet
> card on PuteF and connected it to the router with a new cable. But I
> still get the "Corrupted MAC" error.

Try with some

ethtool -K eth0 rx off tx off sg off tso off gso off

on PuteF and (why not?) PuteB and PuteD.

It happened to me in the past that driver bugs were able to trigger
unexplainable network failures.

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it

Old 11-04-2011, 08:57 PM
Don Quixote de la Mancha

You may have flaky hardware. I once had bad RAM that was sensitive to
the particular way the memory was accessed. The only problem it ever
caused was that FTP downloads to that machine were *always* corrupted.
I never, ever had any other problems.

Memtest86 discovered the bad memory module, but I had to let most of
its tests run for a long time before one of the later tests found the
problem.

Memtest86 got forked; there is also Memtest86+. The two tests are
somewhat different now, as development has continued independently on
both of them. For complete coverage you probably want to run them
both. The tests will take a long time, but let them run to
completion.

These tests not just your memory, but also your CPU, memory controller
and motherboard.

You might also have some bad data on your hard drive. Every hard
drive vendor offers boot floppy and often also CD ISO images for
low-level diagnostic tests. Download the image for each of your
drive, make a disk from it, boot the disk, then run all the read-only
tests for each of your drives.

From time to time it's a good idea to do a complete backup, then also
do the destructive tests on your drives, then restore the backups. It
exercises the bits on the drives, you see, thereby preventing them
from getting flabby and out of shape.

--
Don Quixote de la Mancha
Dulcinea Technologies Corporation