Old 11-02-2011, 08:54 PM
"Michael D. Berger"

Default pthread_create() fails SysV in myDaemon on boot

Please pardon me if you see this twice. I thought that the
newsgroup and the e-mail list were the same thing, but I now
see they are not.

In F15_64, on starting SysV myDaemon in level 3, with S99myDaemon

rtn = pthread_create() fails with:
rtn=1=Operation not permitted

man pthread_create says this means:
No permission to set the scheduling policy and parameters specified in
attr.

This happens for:
policy = SCHED_FIFO
policy = SCHED_RR

This code works if, after boot, I start it with:
/etc/init.d/myDaemon start

and starts on boot in my old CentOS 5 box.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Mike.

--
Michael D. Berger
m.d.berger@ieee.org

Old 11-02-2011, 09:02 PM
Rick Stevens

On 11/02/2011 02:54 PM, Michael D. Berger wrote:
> Please pardon me if you see this twice. I thought that the
> newsgroup and the e-mail list were the same thing, but I now
> see they are not.
>
> In F15_64, on starting SysV myDaemon in level 3, with S99myDaemon
>
> rtn = pthread_create() fails with:
> rtn=1=Operation not permitted
>
> man pthread_create says this means:
> No permission to set the scheduling policy and parameters specified in
> attr.
>
> This happens for:
> policy = SCHED_FIFO
> policy = SCHED_RR
>
> This code works if, after boot, I start it with:
> /etc/init.d/myDaemon start
>
> and starts on boot in my old CentOS 5 box.

When you start it via the initscripts (/etc/init.d), are you doing as
the root user or as an unprivileged user? I'm suspecting a permissions
issue here in that the threads (actually lightweight processes) are
being run as different users.

You might try using "ps uax -L" and looking at the various threads
involved to see who's running what.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:03 PM
"Michael D. Berger"

[...]
> When you start it via the initscripts (/etc/init.d), are you
> doing as the root user or as an unprivileged user? I'm
> suspecting a permissions issue here in that the threads
> (actually lightweight processes) are being run as different users.
>
> You might try using "ps uax -L" and looking at the various
> threads involved to see who's running what.
[...]

Its all done as root. "ps uax -L" shows six rows for myDaemon,
which is about right for the number of threads.

Mike.
--
Michael D. Berger
m.d.berger@ieee.org

Old 11-02-2011, 11:03 PM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 1:59 PM, Michael D. Berger
<m_d_berger_1900@yahoo.com> wrote:
> In F15_64, on starting SysV myDaemon in level 3, with S99myDaemon
>
> rtn = pthread_create() fails with:
> * rtn=1=Operation not permitted
>
> man pthread_create says this means:
> * No permission to set the scheduling policy
> * and parameters specified in attr.
>
> This happens for:
> * policy = SCHED_FIFO
> * policy = SCHED_RR
>
> This code works if, after boot, I start it with:
> * /etc/init.d/myDaemon start
>
> and starts on boot in my old CentOS 5 box.

You should ask the systemd devs about this:
systemd-devel@lists.freedesktop.org

If it works normally but not from systemd, it's probably a bug in the
latter, or else something very strange is going on.

-T.C.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:20 AM
"Michael D. Berger"

I tried to join the systemd-devel list but it didn't let me.
I forwardrd the problem to the list anyway, but I don't
know if they got it.

Maybe you could forward it for me?

Thanks,
Mike.

--
Michael D. Berger
m.d.berger@ieee.org

Old 11-03-2011, 12:58 AM
"Michael D. Berger"

Never mind, I'm joined. It just took a while.

Thahns,
Mike.

--
Michael D. Berger
m.d.berger@ieee.org

http://www.rosemike.net/

Old 11-03-2011, 03:03 AM
Tim

On Wed, 2011-11-02 at 17:54 -0400, Michael D. Berger wrote:
> Please pardon me if you see this twice. I thought that the
> newsgroup and the e-mail list were the same thing, but I now
> see they are not.

Depends which news group you're referring to. The gmane one does
interact with this list. There could be a propagation delay, though.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.