Old 11-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Linux Tyro

Default windows migrant: choosing linux distribution

hi,

i am new in this world of linux. getting confused seeing a lot of linux distro. I just want to use linux distro to learn linux from the scratch level. please suggest me if fedora is the best place to start with. other details are as follows:

confused between: fedora, openSUSE and ubuntu LTS*
purpose of using*linux: to learn from the scratch level
why linux: highly secured and better than windows

hardware: 250 gb hard disk, 2 gb ram, one samsung printer, speakers
when i use system: from a different job, whenever i get time, i do use the system but in this less time, eager to learn linux

--THX

Old 11-02-2011, 11:47 AM
Tom Horsley

On Wed, 2 Nov 2011 18:07:15 +0530
Linux Tyro wrote:

> confused between: fedora, openSUSE and ubuntu LTS

There isn't a lot of difference from the learning standpoint,
but there are two main differences from an administration
standpoint: fedora and openSUSE and many others use
"rpm" packages and ubuntu and debian use "deb" packages
to install software.

There are various other administrative differences
such as networking being described differently on
fedora versus ubuntu, etc.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:52 AM
"D. Marshall Lemcoe Jr."

Ubuntu, I think is easier to get started from "scratch" with, but all
three distributions that you listed will serve you just fine in
learning the order of the penguin.

Good luck

David

Old 11-02-2011, 12:13 PM
Joe Wulf

You ask good questions.* More than likely whichever flavor you try---you'll learn things.* Several points:-* Pick one and stick with it for a while.* Also, to learn more---you'll find a wealthy abundance of resources online to read up on.-* Assuming your main platform is Windows... consider something like "VirtualBox.org" in order to leverage virtualization (free even!) and build your unix/linux skills.-* Evaluate unix/linux forums (such as "nixcraft.com") where you can read, and ask questions.* There are many other good ones, too.
Best of luck to you in your new adventure!!!

Old 11-02-2011, 12:15 PM
"n2xssvv.g02gfr12930"

On 02/11/11 12:37, Linux Tyro wrote:
> hi,
>
> i am new in this world of linux. getting confused seeing a lot of linux
> distro. I just want to use linux distro to learn linux from the scratch
> level. please suggest me if fedora is the best place to start with.
> other details are as follows:
>
> confused between: fedora, openSUSE and ubuntu LTS
>
> purpose of using linux: to learn from the scratch level
>
> why linux: highly secured and better than windows
>
> hardware: 250 gb hard disk, 2 gb ram, one samsung printer, speakers
>
> when i use system: from a different job, whenever i get time, i do use
> the system but in this less time, eager to learn linux
>
> --
> THX

Others have already mentioned the packaging using either deb or rpm
files, but you should also try downloading the various demo CD spins.
This will give you a quick feel for the various GUI options available,
and some of the software available.

See here for Fedora --> http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora-options

Meanwhile, welcome to Linux, and I'm sure the penguin community and I
wish you well in your adoption of Linux

cpp4ever

Old 11-02-2011, 12:40 PM
Linux Tyro

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 6:17 PM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953@gmail.com> wrote:
*

> confused between: fedora, openSUSE and ubuntu LTS

There isn't a lot of difference from the learning standpoint,

but there are two main differences from an administration

standpoint: fedora and openSUSE and many others use

"rpm" packages and ubuntu and debian use "deb" packages

to install software.

There are various other administrative differences

such as networking being described differently on

fedora versus ubuntu, etc.

Well, I am looking for something in long terms, like the one with which I start, I should remain there. And it must be highly secured (though I know Linux is secured). But in future, I would learn the basics of administration too, so please guide me which is a better administration - rpm or deb?

Ubuntu, I think is easier to get started from "scratch" with, but all

three distributions that you listed will serve you just fine in

learning the order of the penguin.

Oh I see, and in long term also, would it be good?
*

Good luck

Thanks.
In fact, I was confused with (anyone would be, I guess) since it is the ocean of distros!
*
More than likely whichever flavor you try---you'll learn things.* Several points:
-*
Pick one and stick with it for a while.* Also, to learn more---you'll
find a wealthy abundance of resources online to read up on.-*
Assuming your main platform is Windows... consider something like
"VirtualBox.org" in order to leverage virtualization (free even!) and
build your unix/linux skills.-* Evaluate unix/linux forums (such as "nixcraft.com") where you can read, and ask questions.* There are many other good ones, too.

Okay.
*

Best of luck to you in your new adventure!!!

Thanks.

Others have already mentioned the packaging using either deb or rpm

files, but you should also try downloading the various demo CD spins.

This will give you a quick feel for the various GUI options available,

and some of the software available.

I try live CDs too then.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Michael Ekstrand

On 11/02/2011 08:40 AM, Linux Tyro wrote:
> Well, I am looking for something in long terms, like the one with which
> I start, I should remain there. And it must be highly secured (though I
> know Linux is secured). But in future, I would learn the basics of
> administration too, so please guide me which is a better administration
> - rpm or deb?

That depends entirely on who you ask. Here, you are likely to get
pro-RPM answers, as Fedora uses RPM and people choose it for a reason.
Each has features and niceties that the other does not. Both are good
package formats and systems; they just have different opinions about how
the world works.

RPM maintains data for verification of installed software. That has
saved me on at least one occasion.

DEB has the concept of optional dependencies, which can offer you
greater flexibility in managing what software is installed on your
system. That is probably the biggest Debian/Ubuntu package management
feature I miss since switching to Fedora.

If you're going to build packages, they're mostly just different. Both
are pretty easy to do once you know what's going on; I find RPM slightly
easier, but Debian provides lots of nice helper scripts for package
builds (and those are inherited by Ubuntu).

Pick one. You won't really go wrong. In my opinion, software
availability, quality, and maintenance culture are more important
factors for picking a Linux distribution than package manager, unless
you have prior package manager knowledge you're looking to carry with
you. From those perspectives, I have selected Fedora (after using
Debian and Ubuntu for quite some time), but YMMV.

- MIchael

Old 11-02-2011, 01:19 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Wed, Nov 02, 2011 at 18:07:15 +0530,
Linux Tyro <fedora.bkn@gmail.com> wrote:

> why linux: highly secured and better than windows

Don't count in this too much. Part of the security comes from being a minority
OS and part comes through the people who use it. There are a number of
applications that don't treat foreign data with appropriate care or that
try to provide a "rich" environment at the expense of security.

The main advantage of Linux systems is openness.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Tom Horsley

On Wed, 2 Nov 2011 19:10:17 +0530
Linux Tyro wrote:

> But in future, I would learn the basics of
> administration too, so please guide me which is a better administration -
> rpm or deb?

I would say they are just different, not better or worse, though if
you like a GUI package management tool, nothing beats "synaptic"
on the ubuntu/debian family (I tend to prefer the command line
tools since I use ssh to get to most systems and don't want
to fool with remote X display, so for me it doesn't matter
much if I use yum versus apt-get or rpm versus dpkg - it is
just a question of sorting out all the command line options).

Old 11-02-2011, 01:40 PM
"n2xssvv.g02gfr12930"

On 02/11/11 14:19, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 02, 2011 at 18:07:15 +0530,
> Linux Tyro <fedora.bkn@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> why linux: highly secured and better than windows
>
> Don't count in this too much. Part of the security comes from being a minority
> OS and part comes through the people who use it. There are a number of
> applications that don't treat foreign data with appropriate care or that
> try to provide a "rich" environment at the expense of security.
>
> The main advantage of Linux systems is openness.

I like the openness, as well as the reliability, (it is much less likely
to crash than windows).