Old 03-21-2008, 11:38 AM
Michael Klinosky

Default tweaking printouts

Mikkel:
I tried to change the margins on printouts (Admin > Printing, 'job
options' tab) - but they apparently didn't help the situation.

When I print simple text documents from gedit, the top and bottom
margins are bigger than I need. Does gedit do this on its own? I can't
find anything in its prefs to config the print margins.

Or, is there some other way to adjust print margins?

Btw, I'd consider another text editor.

One thing that may help is to File --> Page Setup --> General and
uncheck Print page headers. I know it did for me when I did not set any
page headers.

Already knew about that. The issue for me is that there is wasted space.

Tom:

Or, is there some other way to adjust print margins?

Fanatical print margin tweakers may want to check out
my web page at:

http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley/linux-tidbits.html

I did this - didn't change anything for gedit.

gedit is apparently hard-coded to use certain margins.

Frank:

> I think it would be just peachy if a system wide print margin setting
> could be set and the apps all used it. Real peachy. Ric

lpoptions

I checked this out - it actually put a new twist on things for me. It
didn't occur to me that I could use a terminal command to print!

So, when I need to tweak my printouts, I'll probably use lp.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:55 AM
"Tom Horsley"

> I checked this out - it actually put a new twist on things for me. It
> didn't occur to me that I could use a terminal command to print!
>
> So, when I need to tweak my printouts, I'll probably use lp.

I generally use the a2ps command to print arbitrary files (it has
enough options to make your head explode, but once you find the
ones that tweak printouts the way you want them, you can make a
script and take a couple of aspirin till your head feels better :-).

Old 03-21-2008, 02:55 PM
Michael Klinosky

OK - I tried lp, and got the CPI and LPI where they make good printouts.
But, I don't like the font (it's bold-ish).

I can't find anything in Admin -> Printing, lp's options, or lpoptions
to change it.

Can the font be changed?

Old 03-25-2008, 09:10 AM
Tim Waugh

On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 11:55 -0400, Michael Klinosky wrote:
> OK - I tried lp, and got the CPI and LPI where they make good printouts.
> But, I don't like the font (it's bold-ish).

This comes from the 'paps' package. The texttopaps filter (which we use
to convert text to PostScript for CUPS in Fedora) sets the font.

Tim.
*/

Old 03-26-2008, 08:21 AM
Akira TAGOH

TW> On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 11:55 -0400, Michael Klinosky wrote:
>> OK - I tried lp, and got the CPI and LPI where they make good printouts.
>> But, I don't like the font (it's bold-ish).

TW> This comes from the 'paps' package. The texttopaps filter (which we use
TW> to convert text to PostScript for CUPS in Fedora) sets the font.

Actually it depends on what the kind of font you have
installed and how it set up on fontconfig. paps uses
Monospace as the font. I'm not sure if there are any options
to change the font from lp/lpr. if there are, I can patch
out to support it on paps.

--
Akira TAGOH

Old 03-26-2008, 08:55 AM
Tim Waugh

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 18:21 +0900, Akira TAGOH wrote:
> Actually it depends on what the kind of font you have
> installed and how it set up on fontconfig. paps uses
> Monospace as the font. I'm not sure if there are any options
> to change the font from lp/lpr. if there are, I can patch
> out to support it on paps.

There's nothing pre-existing (the texttops filter doesn't have any job
options for that), but you could always look for a 'paps-font' option or
something, so that 'lp -o paps-font=... ' could work.

Do you know why the font currently used looks like it's in bold?

Tim.
*/

Old 03-26-2008, 09:15 AM
Akira TAGOH

TW> On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 18:21 +0900, Akira TAGOH wrote:
>> Actually it depends on what the kind of font you have
>> installed and how it set up on fontconfig. paps uses
>> Monospace as the font. I'm not sure if there are any options
>> to change the font from lp/lpr. if there are, I can patch
>> out to support it on paps.

TW> There's nothing pre-existing (the texttops filter doesn't have any job
TW> options for that), but you could always look for a 'paps-font' option or
TW> something, so that 'lp -o paps-font=... ' could work.

I see. so CUPS doesn't check if the given options are valid or
not? okay, that's cool then.

TW> Do you know why the font currently used looks like it's in bold?

There may be two reasons. 1) the font referred as Monospace
may be a bit bold-ish. 2) glyphs are stretched by CPI/LPI
options.

--
Akira TAGOH

Old 03-26-2008, 10:11 AM
Tim Waugh

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 19:15 +0900, Akira TAGOH wrote:
> I see. so CUPS doesn't check if the given options are valid or
> not? okay, that's cool then.

It can't know if they are valid for some filter or not, so it passes
them all through.

Tim.
*/

Old 03-26-2008, 08:04 PM
Michael Klinosky

Akira:

TW> This comes from the 'paps' package. The texttopaps filter (which we use
TW> to convert text to PostScript for CUPS in Fedora) sets the font.

Actually it depends on what the kind of font you have
installed and how it set up on fontconfig.

Installed where / how?

Perhaps you mean System -> Prefs -> Look and Feel -> Font? There's only
1 bold there - the window title. The Document font is Sans - regular - 10.

paps uses
Monospace as the font. I'm not sure if there are any options
to change the font from lp/lpr. if there are, I can patch
out to support it on paps.

I looked thru the man pages for lp and lpoptions - nothing to set the
font. Nothing in Admin -> Printer either.

Tim

Do you know why the font currently used looks like it's in bold?

I'm comparing it to gedit's printouts.