Old 11-02-2011, 12:56 AM
"Linda McLeod"

Default How can the system be bumped-up to the next evolution of RAM-processing..?

Re: How does Fedora clean its RAM..?

From:
"Reindl Harald" <h.reindl@thelounge.net> [Add]
To:
"Community support for Fedora users" <users@lists.fedoraproject.org>
Cc:
"Linda McLeod" <lindavaldeen@fastmail.fm>
Date:
Tue, 1 Nov 2011 6:39 PM (6 minutes 42 seconds ago)
Show Raw Message
Show full header

Am 02.11.2011 02:34, schrieb Linda McLeod:
> How does Fedora clean its RAM..?
>
> Does the system dump what's on unused RAM?.. Does it wait till
> reboot..?
> How does it work..?
>
> How can the system be bumped-up to the next evolution of
> RAM-processing..?
>
> Is there, or can there be, a continuous wiping-cleaner that instantly
> cleans RAM the moment its thht-data is dated..?

why should it clean RAM?

a modern unix system tends to consume ALL memory for caches,
buffers etc. and reuse it if a application needs active memory

wiping memory is snakeoil and if such a tool exists it was developed
from peopole who do not undertsnad how a modern OS works

______________________________

Maybe in part.. but there are still a lot of things that were seemingly
obsoleted, that still can be developed to their peaks modern ways... It
isn't "snakeoil".. it's "pokin' & punchin' thu envelope" to see if'n
anything good got missed in the stampede... Any ideas how the next
generation OS processes RAM..? Why is there RAM..? Why can't the OS
run its RAM off'n the hd..?

Old 11-02-2011, 01:57 AM
Michael Cronenworth

http://imgur.com/S8fqw

Old 11-02-2011, 02:08 AM
Marko Vojinovic

On Wednesday 02 November 2011 01:56:13 Linda McLeod wrote:
[snip]
> Why is there RAM..? Why can't the OS
> run its RAM off'n the hd..?

RAM exists because I/O of a HD is waaay too slow. You can get a feeling just
how slow it can get when you open too many apps simultaneously, thus
exhausting available RAM and making the OS use the swap partition for extra
memory. It's *painfully* slow, the machine becomes practically unusable, and
it's a complete waste of cycles of today's fast processors.

Even the I/O of RAM itself is fairly slow compared to the typical modern
processor. That's why processors now have a built-in cache (which is basically
a smaller amount of RAM on the processor chip itself), in order to speed up
execution of programs and calculations.

You might then ask "why the processor designers don't put all RAM on the
chip?" Because it would be too big, geometrically. In order to make the
processor work on a 2GHz frequency or such, the chip surface must be small
enough to keep everything in working conditions. Otherwise you run into out-
of-sync problems, uneven heat and voltage distribution problems, and all sorts
of stuff that would make the processor fail. So the bulk of RAM must be
separated, on their own chips, and communitace with the processor via the
motherboard, which is again quite slow, due to its size and other reasons.

HTH, :-)
Marko

Old 11-02-2011, 09:10 PM
Marko Vojinovic

On Wednesday 02 November 2011 18:47:25 Rick Stevens wrote:
> Uhm, Marko, I think Linda was trying to be facetious. Good info from
> you, though. :-)

Oh, well, English is not my native language, so often I fail to recongize
anything other than face-value meaning of what is written, especially on
public mailing lists. But no harm done, anyway... ;-)

Best, :-)
Marko