FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-01-2011, 08:39 PM
JB
 
Default Forcing HDD spindown

Christopher Svanefalk <christopher.svanefalk <at> gmail.com> writes:

>
>
> Dear all,
>
> one problem I have on my system is the frequency with which the kernel winds
up the HDD. It is hot almost constantly, and never seems to power down. Is there
anything I can do (aside from deactivating updatedb and the like) in order to
force the system to a minimal use of the HDD?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Chris
>
>

Take it seriously.
If it is "hot almost constantly" you should take a closer look at processes run
over some longer period of time (top, iotop, ...; you can run them as a cron
job and collect data as well).

Also:
- System-Preferences-Power Management
- man hdparm
# hdparm -I /dev/sd?
...
- $ yum info hddtemp
- Gogle search: linux hard disk temperature
http://www.linuxjournal.com/magazine/monitoring-hard-disks-smart
...

JB


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 11-01-2011, 11:42 PM
Konstantin Svist
 
Default Forcing HDD spindown

On 11/01/2011 02:03 PM, Christopher Svanefalk wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> one problem I have on my system is the frequency with which the kernel
> winds up the HDD. It is hot almost constantly, and never seems to
> power down. Is there anything I can do (aside from deactivating
> updatedb and the like) in order to force the system to a minimal use
> of the HDD?
>


If it's a laptop, I would check for dust in the heat exchangers -- if
it's plugged up, then laptop would definitely heat up.

Also have a look at Laptop Mode Tools (only recommended for laptop, mind!)


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 11-02-2011, 12:01 AM
Joe Zeff
 
Default Forcing HDD spindown

On 11/01/2011 05:42 PM, Konstantin Svist wrote:
> Also have a look at Laptop Mode Tools (only recommended for laptop, mind!)

What package provides them? (I'd check with yum for "laptop mode tools"
but I've learned from experience that the obvious often doesn't work
when it comes to this type of thing.)
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 11-02-2011, 12:19 AM
Konstantin Svist
 
Default Forcing HDD spindown

On 11/01/2011 06:01 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 11/01/2011 05:42 PM, Konstantin Svist wrote:
>> Also have a look at Laptop Mode Tools (only recommended for laptop, mind!)
> What package provides them? (I'd check with yum for "laptop mode tools"
> but I've learned from experience that the obvious often doesn't work
> when it comes to this type of thing.)

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=laptop+mode+tools

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 11-02-2011, 12:36 AM
Joe Zeff
 
Default Forcing HDD spindown

On 11/01/2011 06:19 PM, Konstantin Svist wrote:

>
> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=laptop+mode+tools
>

Cute. Rude, but cute. Much better and more polite would have been to
point me directly to http://samwel.tk/laptop_mode/packages/fedora.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 11-02-2011, 02:08 AM
Tim Largy
 
Default Forcing HDD spindown

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 5:03 PM, Christopher Svanefalk
<christopher.svanefalk@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
> one problem I have on my system is the frequency with which the kernel winds
> up the HDD. It is hot almost constantly, and never seems to power down. Is
> there anything I can do (aside from deactivating updatedb and the like) in
> order to force the system to a minimal use of the HDD?
> Thanks in advance,
> Chris

I'm not sure if smartd would be set up to run on your system but rule that out.

Tim
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 11-02-2011, 06:42 AM
Christopher Svanefalk
 
Default Forcing HDD spindown

Thanks for the replies everyone!
Laptop-mode unfortunately does not support kernel 3.1 (I am running F16 Beta)...hopefully this will be updated, it seems like a great tool.


On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 4:08 AM, Tim Largy <tim.largy@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 5:03 PM, Christopher Svanefalk

<christopher.svanefalk@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,

> one problem I have on my system is the frequency with which the kernel winds

> up the HDD. It is hot almost constantly, and never seems to power down. Is

> there anything I can do (aside from deactivating updatedb and the like) in

> order to force the system to a minimal use of the HDD?

> Thanks in advance,

> Chris



I'm not sure if smartd would be set up to run on your system but rule that out.



Tim

--

users mailing list

users@lists.fedoraproject.org

To unsubscribe or change subscription options:

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users

Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines



--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 11-02-2011, 10:08 AM
Tim
 
Default Forcing HDD spindown

Konstantin Svist:
>> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=laptop+mode+tools


Joe Zeff:
> Cute. Rude, but cute. Much better and more polite would have been to
> point me directly to http://samwel.tk/laptop_mode/packages/fedora.

I would have tried a slightly different yum query. Such as "yum search
laptop" to see about *any* packages related to laptops.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored. I
read messages from the public lists.



--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 11-02-2011, 08:34 PM
Christopher Svanefalk
 
Default Forcing HDD spindown

Correction: laptop-tools 1.60 supports kernel 3.x. You have to pull the tarball, *but its only a matter of running a shell script to install it anyway. I am having some issues with my harddrives spinning down too fast and waking up too easily now, but its being resolved.*

You can find the tarball here:*http://samwel.tk/laptop_mode/packages/tarball

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 12:08 PM, Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

Konstantin Svist:

>> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=laptop+mode+tools





Joe Zeff:

> Cute. *Rude, but cute. *Much better and more polite would have been to

> point me directly to http://samwel.tk/laptop_mode/packages/fedora.



I would have tried a slightly different yum query. *Such as "yum search

laptop" to see about *any* packages related to laptops.



--

[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r

2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686



Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored. *I

read messages from the public lists.







--

users mailing list

users@lists.fedoraproject.org

To unsubscribe or change subscription options:

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users

Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines



--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:46 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org