FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-01-2011, 05:47 PM
"Michael D. Berger"
 
Default my SysV daemons not starting on boot

In my new F15_64 box, my SysV daemons are not starting on boot,
although I can start them with:

/etc/init.d/myDaemon start
(thanks to SYSTEMCTL_SKIP_REDIRECT).

chkconfig --list myDaemon
indicates start levels 3 and 5, and the links in /etc/rc.d are
in place and correct.

Debug indicates that the daemon function is being called.
Also, the boot log says the daemon started.

But the myDaemon log shows nothing, and ps -ef does
not find it. I tried putting a sleep(1) at the
start of myDaemon, but it didn't help.

Thanks for your help.
Mike.
--
Michael D. Berger
m.d.berger@ieee.org
http://www.rosemike.net/


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 11-01-2011, 07:05 PM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"
 
Default my SysV daemons not starting on boot

"Michael D. Berger" <m.d.berger@ieee.org> wrote:

>In my new F15_64 box, my SysV daemons are not starting on boot,
>although I can start them with:
>
>/etc/init.d/myDaemon start
>(thanks to SYSTEMCTL_SKIP_REDIRECT).
>
>chkconfig --list myDaemon
>indicates start levels 3 and 5, and the links in /etc/rc.d are
>in place and correct.
>
>Debug indicates that the daemon function is being called.
>Also, the boot log says the daemon started.
>
>But the myDaemon log shows nothing, and ps -ef does
>not find it. I tried putting a sleep(1) at the
>start of myDaemon, but it didn't help.
>
>Thanks for your help.
>Mike.
>--
>Michael D. Berger
>m.d.berger@ieee.org
>http://www.rosemike.net/
>
>
>--
>users mailing list
>users@lists.fedoraproject.org
>To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
>https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
>Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

What does "systemctl status myDaemon.service" output when you try to start it normally?

--
Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 11-01-2011, 11:01 PM
"Michael D. Berger"
 
Default my SysV daemons not starting on boot

> -----Original Message-----
> From: users-bounces@lists.fedoraproject.org
> [mailto:users-bounces@lists.fedoraproject.org] On Behalf Of
> T.C. Hollingsworth
> Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 16:06
> To: Community support for Fedora users
> Subject: Re: my SysV daemons not starting on boot
>
>
[...}
> "What does "systemctl status myDaemon.service" output when you
> try to start it normally?
>
[...]

Always, started or not, I get the same thing:

#systemctl status myDaemon.service
myDaemon.service
Loaded: error
Active: inactive (dead)

Note that "start normally" is done by:
#/etc/init.d/myDaemon start

I do not use systemctl, and I have no "myDaemon.service" file.
Since I have:
SYSTEMCTL_SKIP_REDIRECT=1
near the top of /etc/init.d/myDaemon, I assumed that
a myDaemon.service file was unnecessary

Is this innorrect?

Thanks,
Mike.

--
Michael D. Berger
m.d.berger@ieee.org
http://www.rosemike.net/



--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 11-02-2011, 12:06 AM
"T.C. Hollingsworth"
 
Default my SysV daemons not starting on boot

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 5:01 PM, Michael D. Berger <m.d.berger@ieee.org> wrote:
> Always, started or not, I get the same thing:
>
> #systemctl status myDaemon.service
> myDaemon.service
> * * * * *Loaded: error
> * * * * *Active: inactive (dead)

That's very strange. If a file "/etc/init.d/myDaemon" exists, systemd
should create a virtual "myDaemon.service". (Emphasis on "virtual";
no file is created on disk.)

Check syslog (/var/log/messages) for any errors related to your
daemon. If there are none, reboot and edit your kernel command line,
removing "rhgb quiet" and adding "systemd.log_level=debug" and check
again.

> Note that "start normally" is done by:
> #/etc/init.d/myDaemon start
>
> I do not use systemctl, and I have no "myDaemon.service" file.
> Since I have:
> * SYSTEMCTL_SKIP_REDIRECT=1
> near the top of /etc/init.d/myDaemon, I assumed that
> a myDaemon.service file was unnecessary
>
> Is this innorrect?

A .service file is unnecessary for SYSV initscripts regardless of
whether that envar is set. In fact, you absolutely do not want one to
exist, because unit files override identically named initscripts.

SYSTEMCTL_SKIP_REDIRECT only prevents calls to "service daemon" or
"/etc/init.d/daemon" from being redirected to systemctl. But,
systemctl still has to work properly, otherwise systemd can't start
your daemon on boot.

-T.C.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 11-02-2011, 01:32 PM
"Michael D. Berger"
 
Default my SysV daemons not starting on boot

> -----Original Message-----
> From: users-bounces@lists.fedoraproject.org
> [mailto:users-bounces@lists.fedoraproject.org] On Behalf Of
> T.C. Hollingsworth
> Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 21:07
> To: Community support for Fedora users
> Subject: Re: my SysV daemons not starting on boot
>
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 5:01 PM, Michael D. Berger
> <m.d.berger@ieee.org> wrote:
> > Always, started or not, I get the same thing:
> >
> > #systemctl status myDaemon.service
> > myDaemon.service
> > * * * * *Loaded: error
> > * * * * *Active: inactive (dead)
>
> That's very strange. If a file "/etc/init.d/myDaemon"
> exists, systemd should create a virtual "myDaemon.service".
> (Emphasis on "virtual"; no file is created on disk.)
>
> Check syslog (/var/log/messages) for any errors related to
> your daemon. If there are none, reboot and edit your kernel
> command line, removing "rhgb quiet" and adding
> "systemd.log_level=debug" and check again.
>
[...]

I have removed "rhgb quiet" but not yet added
"systemd.log_level=debug".
I have also removed my SYSTEMCTL_SKIP_REDIRECT=1
In /vat/log/boot.log I find:
Starting SYSV: controls myDaemon daemons...
Starting myDaemon: ^[[60G[^[[0;32m OK ^[[0;39m]^M
Started SYSV: controls myDaemon daemons.
Debig informs me that myDaemon is starting, but rapidly
crashing. I am now working on that (after meetings).

I assume that once I get that fixed, I can expect
#systemctl status myDaemon.service
to show something else. Right?

Thanks for guidance.
Mike.


--
Michael D. Berger
m.d.berger@ieee.org
http://www.rosemike.net/


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:05 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org