Old 11-01-2011, 02:43 PM
Beartooth

Default SUCCESS! SL6 to F16??

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 18:30:24 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:

> On 31/10/11 17:01, Beartooth wrote:

>> How do I remind it to boot to xfce instead of gnome??

> Try startxfce4 or startxfce ...

Plain startxfce just got "command not found" -- but startxfce4
hit the jackpot. I'm on the machine, and have copied a couple of my home
folders to it (such as .pan2 in order to post).

One small snag, new to me: I plugged the external drive onto
which I had copied /home back into the USB port. It shows the various
partitions on that drive, but neither automounts them nor lets me mount
them. What have I done wrong?

Old 11-01-2011, 04:23 PM
Bob Goodwin

On 01/11/11 11:43, Beartooth wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 18:30:24 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>> On 31/10/11 17:01, Beartooth wrote:
>>> How do I remind it to boot to xfce instead of gnome??
>> Try startxfce4 or startxfce ...
> Plain startxfce just got "command not found" -- but startxfce4
> hit the jackpot. I'm on the machine, and have copied a couple of my home
> folders to it (such as .pan2 in order to post).

I'm only up to F-15 but I have observed for some time that with
a new install or sometimes after a yum update I have to use
"startxfce4." Then on subsequent boots plain old "startx" works
until something gets updated, I don't know what or why, never
bothered trying to find out why since it's such a simple
workaround.

Bob

Old 11-01-2011, 08:11 PM
Beartooth

On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 13:23:20 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:

> On 01/11/11 11:43, Beartooth wrote:

>>> Try startxfce4 or startxfce ...
>> Plain startxfce just got "command not found" -- but startxfce4
>> hit the jackpot. I'm on the machine, and have copied a couple of my
>> home folders to it (such as .pan2 in order to post).
>>

> I'm only up to F-15 but I have observed for some time that with
> a new install or sometimes after a yum update I have to use
> "startxfce4." Then on subsequent boots plain old "startx" works
> until something gets updated, I don't know what or why, never
> bothered trying to find out why since it's such a simple
> workaround.

Small glitch: I tried to log out, and got rebooted instead -- to
some bad state where I had to reboot again, into init 3. From there I
used startxfce4 again; I may edit my grub.conf (or whatever serves as one
now) to make the init 3 permanent. I don't think I've needed a startx
command since the early days of RH7; I'd all but forgotten it existed.