Old 11-01-2011, 08:11 AM
Abu Attar Musharih

Default Constructing Grid on Fedora

Dear List,

I have a cluster of several PCs, each is running Fedora, either 14 or 15.
I want to make this PCs grid enabled, so I installed globus (
http://www.globus.org/ ) and made a server with a global IP and with
a subdomain. My main objective is to be able to run parallel
programming (mpi), harnessing the idle CPUs of onlines nodes.

The stage at a moment, I have successfully set up simple-CA and the
GSI of the server.

Globus commands works fine, for example:

++++
$ globus-hostname-lookup fedora.org
Resolving address (fedora.org)...
-------------------------------
Numeric address: 67.40.49.xxx
Expected DN suffix: /CN=host/hoxx.trippy.org
++++

$ grid-proxy-init
Your identity: /O=Grid/OU=GlobusTest/OU=simpleCA-localhost.localdomain/OU=localdomain/CN=
Abu Attar
Enter GRID pass phrase for this identity:
Creating proxy ............................................ Done
Your proxy is valid until: Wed Nov 2 05:01:04 2011

++++++

I tried but failed to copy a file from one node to a server.

$ globus-url-copy file:///home/username/Grid/Codes/cpi.c gsiftp://domainname/

The message is as follows,

error: globus_xio: Unable to connect to domainname:2811
globus_xio: System error in connect: No route to host
globus_xio: A system call failed: No route to host

It seems something to do with the port 2811. Checking /etc/services
of the server gave the port number and the protocol
++++
root$ less /etc/services | grep gsi

gsigatekeeper 2119/udp # GSIGATEKEEPER
gsiftp 2811/tcp # GSI FTP
gsiftp 2811/udp # GSI FTP
gsidcap 22128/tcp # GSI dCache Access Protocol
++++

As I do not have any experience, I have no idea how to fix it.
I mainly rely on internet searching, but still can not find the answer.

I expect from this list some suggestions or any comment.
Thank you very much in advance.

with best,
AA

Old 11-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Joachim Backes

On 11/01/2011 10:11 AM, Abu Attar Musharih wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I have a cluster of several PCs, each is running Fedora, either 14 or 15.
> I want to make this PCs grid enabled, so I installed globus (
> http://www.globus.org/ ) and made a server with a global IP and with
> a subdomain. My main objective is to be able to run parallel
> programming (mpi), harnessing the idle CPUs of onlines nodes.

Hi Abu Attar Musharih,

First of all, I don't think that a grid is the right instrument for
running processes using a MPI model (this is more thread based, or, if
using a cluster, based on a RPC model for example). Or look at
*www.mosix.org*.

For cluster software, you could use Scientific linux or Rocks Clusters
Linux. I made good experience in managing a cluster with Rocks Clusters
Linux, based on CentOS (www.rocksclusters.org).

Additionally, in my opinion, the Fedora user list is not really a good
contact for your grid question. I'm sure there is a appropriate Q&A page
at globus.org (the messages listed below are not system specific enough)
- it seems to be a middleware problem.

Kind regards

Joachim Backes

http://www.rhrk.uni-kl.de/~backes

Old 11-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Marko Vojinovic

On Tuesday 01 November 2011 09:11:01 Abu Attar Musharih wrote:
> I have a cluster of several PCs, each is running Fedora, either 14 or 15.
> I want to make this PCs grid enabled, so I installed globus (
> http://www.globus.org/ ) and made a server with a global IP and with
> a subdomain. My main objective is to be able to run parallel
> programming (mpi), harnessing the idle CPUs of onlines nodes.

Depending on what you actually want to do, globus may or may not be the right
tool for the job. What exactly do you want to do, for what purpose, and what
is your hardware setup?

> I tried but failed to copy a file from one node to a server.
>
> $ globus-url-copy file:///home/username/Grid/Codes/cpi.c
> gsiftp://domainname/
>
> The message is as follows,
>
> error: globus_xio: Unable to connect to domainname:2811
> globus_xio: System error in connect: No route to host
> globus_xio: A system call failed: No route to host
>
> It seems something to do with the port 2811.

This can be a number of things. However, in globus deployment (especially if
you are doing it for the first time), the *number* *one* culprit is always the
firewall. Globus uses *a* *lot* of custom ports, and it expects all of them to
be available.

So, as a first step (and for testing purposes only!!!) take down the firewall on
both machines (the client and the server), as

# service iptables stop

and retry the gsiftp. Be aware that shutting down the firewall is VERY
DANGEOROUS and should be brought back up as soon as possible. However, when
debugging Globus, it is the only reasonable way to check what is wrong.

If gsiftp is successful with firewall down, then do some research on what ports
you need to open up and customize your firewall config. Expect to spend
considerable time on that, since the config will be very, very custom. :-)

If it isn't the firewall, then there is something wrong with some part of your
globus installation. It can be a number of things.

You are better off asking on one of the globus support mailing lists (I am not
actively following any of those anymore, so cannot point you exactly). I doubt
you will find many people with Globus experience on the Fedora list. ;-)

HTH, :-)
Marko

Old 11-01-2011, 11:20 PM
Abu Attar Musharih

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 11:02 PM, Joachim Backes
<joachim.backes@rhrk.uni-kl.de> wrote:

> Hi Abu Attar Musharih,
>
> First of all, I don't think that a grid is the right instrument for
> running processes using a MPI model (this is more thread based, or, if
> using a cluster, based on a *RPC model for example). Or look at
> *www.mosix.org*.
> For cluster software, you could use Scientific linux or Rocks Clusters
> Linux. I made good experience in managing a cluster with Rocks Clusters
> Linux, based on CentOS (www.rocksclusters.org).

Thanks for the response. You are completely right, but for my main
objective which is more on a proof-of-concept and learning the grid
technology, perhaps this is the way to go.

> Additionally, in my opinion, the Fedora user list is not really a good
> contact for your grid question. I'm sure there is a appropriate Q&A page
> at globus.org (the messages listed below are not system specific enough)
> - it seems to be a middleware problem.

Seing that the globus toolkit is available from the fedora repo, I
assume that there must be some members who can provide some
explanation.

Best regards,
Abu Attar