Old 11-01-2011, 12:20 AM
"Michael D. Berger"

Default localhost udp bind: address in use

I have some complex multi-thread C++ code in which I do
some internal signaling with udp sockets:
snd: 127.0.0.1:6501
rcv: 127.0.0.1:6502

On my new F15_64 box, I usually get:
errno=98=Address already in use
socket (which is first up) even when I just come up from
power off.

Rarely, it works. I have no idea why.

If I ignore the 98 error, I get a write error on the socket.

Even when it fails,
netstat -uap
shows the socket, which is not a surprise, and it
is not there when the program is not up.

Now on my old CentOS 5_32 box, the same code
(but, of course, compiled for 32) works with no
problem. I can start and stop it rapidly with no
problem.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Mike.
--
Michael D. Berger
m.d.berger@ieee.org

Old 11-01-2011, 01:25 AM
"Christopher K. Johnson"

Is ipv6 enabled?

Any chance it is binding to loopback using an ipv6 loopback address, and
then finding it is already bound using the ipv4 equivalent?

Old 11-01-2011, 12:40 PM
"Michael D. Berger"

[...}

I disabled ipv6 in /etc/modprobe.d/ and verified gone with:
lsmod | grep -i v6
but the problem is not fixed.

Thanks,
Mike.