Old 10-31-2011, 08:01 PM
Beartooth

Default MORE SL6 to F16??

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 20:06:32 +0000, Beartooth wrote:

[....]
> But something is still wrong. It gets part way through booting,
> then gives me an error box saying it failed to load session "gdm-shell"
> and a Log Out button. Clicking the button just takes you back to the
> same error box.
>
> At that point, it does accept an ssh connection. Using one, I
> tried yum update, and also added a few things; but no joy.

I ssh'd into it again, became root, did init 3, and the error box
went away, giving me a prompt. I logged in as user, and tried startx.
That got me a different error box, this time complaining of gnome itself.

I hit the logout button in the box; it gave me my prompt back,
plus a lot of messages, which appear to've been its response to startx.

They begin with one saying that file /home/btth/.serverauth.1845
does not exist. Then come a lot of messages from the X server 1.11.1
Among other things, it's using /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d and /usr/share/X11/
xorg.conf.d, getting the monitor size wrong (1024x768 instead of
1680x1050) and failing to find gnome-shell, metacity, nor gnome-panel.

How do I remind it to boot to xfce instead of gnome??

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Power User

Old 10-31-2011, 08:21 PM
Joe Zeff

On 10/31/2011 02:01 PM, Beartooth wrote:
> How do I remind it to boot to xfce instead of gnome??

If installing gdm (or some other dm) doesn't work, try asking the XFCE
forum at http://forum.xfce.org/

Old 10-31-2011, 09:30 PM
Bob Goodwin

On 31/10/11 17:01, Beartooth wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 20:06:32 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
>
> [....]
>> But something is still wrong. It gets part way through booting,
>> then gives me an error box saying it failed to load session "gdm-shell"
>> and a Log Out button. Clicking the button just takes you back to the
>> same error box.
>>
>> At that point, it does accept an ssh connection. Using one, I
>> tried yum update, and also added a few things; but no joy.
> I ssh'd into it again, became root, did init 3, and the error box
> went away, giving me a prompt. I logged in as user, and tried startx.
> That got me a different error box, this time complaining of gnome itself.
>
> I hit the logout button in the box; it gave me my prompt back,
> plus a lot of messages, which appear to've been its response to startx.
>
> They begin with one saying that file /home/btth/.serverauth.1845
> does not exist. Then come a lot of messages from the X server 1.11.1
> Among other things, it's using /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d and /usr/share/X11/
> xorg.conf.d, getting the monitor size wrong (1024x768 instead of
> 1680x1050) and failing to find gnome-shell, metacity, nor gnome-panel.
>
> How do I remind it to boot to xfce instead of gnome??

Try startxfce4 or startxfce ...

Bob