Old 10-30-2011, 06:34 PM
Alex

Default TV Tuner cards?

Hi,
I'm interested in a TV tuner card that I can connect to my roof
antenna with a RG6 coax, and wondered if anyone had any suggestions?
I've used the Happauge cards in the past, but that was quite some time
ago. I've found the linuxtv.org page, and although they have a list of
available TV tuners, they don't really give any impression on which
have the best features, etc.

I'd probably also like to set up MythTV at some point.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Alex

Old 10-30-2011, 06:44 PM
Richard Shaw

On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 2:34 PM, Alex <mysqlstudent@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm interested in a TV tuner card that I can connect to my roof
> antenna with a RG6 coax, and wondered if anyone had any suggestions?
> I've used the Happauge cards in the past, but that was quite some time
> ago. I've found the linuxtv.org page, and although they have a list of
> available TV tuners, they don't really give any impression on which
> have the best features, etc.
>
> I'd probably also like to set up MythTV at some point.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions?

There's plenty of history in the list archives as this is a pretty
frequent question.

I'm really happy with my HDHomerun 3. I'm not sure if you're familiar
with them, but they are a stand alone tuner that basically puts the
MPEG2 stream from ATSC (Over the air) or unencrypted cable (QAM) on
your network. It's nice because you don't have to worry about kernel
drivers and it also means you don't have to run your coax cable to
your computer in a combined frontend/backend MythTV setup. My HDHR is
in the closet with the rest of the networking equipment and my MythTV
FE/BE is in the entertainment center.

Richard

Old 10-30-2011, 10:33 PM
Geoffrey Leach

On 10/30/2011 12:44:33 PM, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 2:34 PM, Alex <mysqlstudent@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'm interested in a TV tuner card that I can connect to my roof
> > antenna with a RG6 coax, and wondered if anyone had any
> suggestions?
> > I've used the Happauge cards in the past, but that was quite some
> time
> > ago. I've found the linuxtv.org page, and although they have a list
> of
> > available TV tuners, they don't really give any impression on which
> > have the best features, etc.
> >
> > I'd probably also like to set up MythTV at some point.
> >
> > Anyone have any suggestions?
>
> There's plenty of history in the list archives as this is a pretty
> frequent question.
>
> I'm really happy with my HDHomerun 3. I'm not sure if you're familiar
> with them, but they are a stand alone tuner that basically puts the
> MPEG2 stream from ATSC (Over the air) or unencrypted cable (QAM) on
> your network. It's nice because you don't have to worry about kernel
> drivers and it also means you don't have to run your coax cable to
> your computer in a combined frontend/backend MythTV setup. My HDHR is
> in the closet with the rest of the networking equipment and my MythTV
> FE/BE is in the entertainment center.

I can second the recommendation of the HDHomerun (mine is a 2, so no
cable). I can also offer a set of Perl scripts to manage scraping of
shows from zap2it and programming of the recording.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:10 PM
Alex

Hi,

>> > I'm interested in a TV tuner card that I can connect to my roof
>> > antenna with a RG6 coax, and wondered if anyone had any
>> suggestions?
>> > I've used the Happauge cards in the past, but that was quite some
>> time
>> > ago. I've found the linuxtv.org page, and although they have a list
>> of
>> > available TV tuners, they don't really give any impression on which
>> > have the best features, etc.
>> >
>> > I'd probably also like to set up MythTV at some point.
>> >
>> > Anyone have any suggestions?
>>
>> There's plenty of history in the list archives as this is a pretty
>> frequent question.
>>
>> I'm really happy with my HDHomerun 3. I'm not sure if you're familiar
>> with them, but they are a stand alone tuner that basically puts the
>> MPEG2 stream from ATSC (Over the air) or unencrypted cable (QAM) on
>> your network. It's nice because you don't have to worry about kernel
>> drivers and it also means you don't have to run your coax cable to
>> your computer in a combined frontend/backend MythTV setup. My HDHR is
>> in the closet with the rest of the networking equipment and my MythTV
>> FE/BE is in the entertainment center.
>
> I can second the recommendation of the HDHomerun (mine is a 2, so no
> cable). I can also offer a set of Perl scripts to manage scraping of
> shows from zap2it and programming of the recording.

Guys, thanks for the suggestions. Looks like a great product.

I only have an ATSC broadcast, so have to consider whether I'd really
benefit from one of the models with features similar to a cable box.

Thanks again,
Alex