Old 10-30-2011, 03:49 PM
Beartooth

Default SL6 to F16??

I've been playing with Scientific Linux on an oldish machine, and
now I want to try F16 with xfce -- *not* live, but installed, with
the .iso on a DVD. I realize that requires me to install the gnome
version and then add xfce. Do I just command "yum install xfce," or is
there something more esoteric?

In the course of playing with SL, I've put spare copies of
various data into it, and of course tweaked all sorts of things, many of
them a tad bit tedious; I'd like to preserve them into the F16 install.

Is there a way Fedora can treat SL6 as if I were upgrading
earlier Fedora install? I see this :

$ uname -a
Linux Hbsk.localdomain 2.6.32-131.17.1.el6.i686 #1 SMP Wed Oct 5 17:20:08
CDT 2011 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

There's plenty of space for dual-booting. I suppose I could
install into free space, boot to it, mount the SL partition, and copy
stuff. But that sounds like needless hassle to me, even if I got all of
it right.

Is there another way??

Old 10-30-2011, 04:03 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 16:49:54 +0000 (UTC)
Beartooth <beartooth@comcast.net> wrote:

> I've been playing with Scientific Linux on an oldish machine,
> and now I want to try F16 with xfce -- *not* live, but installed,
> with the .iso on a DVD. I realize that requires me to install the
> gnome version and then add xfce. Do I just command "yum install
> xfce," or is there something more esoteric?

yum groupinstall xfce-desktop

You don't need to install gnome. Just deselect it when you do the
install.

> In the course of playing with SL, I've put spare copies of
> various data into it, and of course tweaked all sorts of things, many
> of them a tad bit tedious; I'd like to preserve them into the F16
> install.

You can save off your homedir and keep all those settings easily.
Other things you will likely have to re-tweak.

> Is there a way Fedora can treat SL6 as if I were upgrading
> earlier Fedora install? I see this :

Nope. Not that I know of. They are different OSes.

> There's plenty of space for dual-booting. I suppose I could
> install into free space, boot to it, mount the SL partition, and copy
> stuff. But that sounds like needless hassle to me, even if I got all
> of it right.
>
> Is there another way??

Nope.

kevin

Old 10-30-2011, 04:57 PM
Beartooth

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 11:03:41 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 16:49:54 +0000 (UTC)
> Beartooth <beartooth@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>> I've been playing with Scientific Linux on an oldish machine,
>> and now I want to try F16 with xfce -- *not* live, but installed, with
>> the .iso on a DVD. I realize that requires me to install the gnome
>> version and then add xfce. Do I just command "yum install xfce," or is
>> there something more esoteric?
>
> yum groupinstall xfce-desktop
>
> You don't need to install gnome. Just deselect it when you do the
> install.

Oh good. And can I then still use a few gnome apps I depend on,
comparably to running gnome but using Konqueror for man pages and K3B for
media? (iirc, I have to install a good bit of KDE to get those.)

>> In the course of playing with SL, I've put spare copies of
>> various data into it, and of course tweaked all sorts of things, many
>> of them a tad bit tedious; I'd like to preserve them into the F16
>> install.
>
> You can save off your homedir and keep all those settings easily.

You mean like copying them to an external drive and then back?

> Other things you will likely have to re-tweak.

<sigh> I've certainly done it plenty of times before ....

Thanks for the clues!

Old 10-30-2011, 08:16 PM
Carroll Grigsby

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 17:57:28 +0000 (UTC)
Beartooth <beartooth@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 11:03:41 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 16:49:54 +0000 (UTC)
> > Beartooth <beartooth@comcast.net> wrote:
> >

> >> I've been playing with Scientific Linux on an oldish
> >> machine, and now I want to try F16 with xfce -- *not* live, but
> >> installed, with the .iso on a DVD. I realize that requires me to
> >> install the gnome version and then add xfce. Do I just command
> >> "yum install xfce," or is there something more esoteric?
> >
> > yum groupinstall xfce-desktop
> >
> > You don't need to install gnome. Just deselect it when you do the
> > install.
>
> Oh good. And can I then still use a few gnome apps I depend
> on, comparably to running gnome but using Konqueror for man pages and
> K3B for media? (iirc, I have to install a good bit of KDE to get
> those.)

>>whack

Beartooth:

There's another way to skin this particular cat: Download and install
the xfce spin, then add whatever other stuff you wish. Be aware too
that the xfce spin includes a lot of Gnome. Not all of it is necessary.

-- cmg

Old 10-30-2011, 09:21 PM
Joe Zeff

On 10/30/2011 09:49 AM, Beartooth wrote:
> I've been playing with Scientific Linux on an oldish machine, and
> now I want to try F16 with xfce --*not* live, but installed, with
> the .iso on a DVD. I realize that requires me to install the gnome
> version and then add xfce.

Not so! Select Customize Now (or whatever the equivalent is) and select
XFCE and unselect Gnome.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:06 PM
Beartooth

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 15:21:41 -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:

> On 10/30/2011 09:49 AM, Beartooth wrote:
>> I've been playing with Scientific Linux on an oldish machine, and
>> now I want to try F16 with xfce --*not* live, but installed, with the
>> .iso on a DVD. I realize that requires me to install the gnome version
>> and then add xfce.

> Not so! Select Customize Now (or whatever the equivalent is) and select
> XFCE and unselect Gnome.

Shudda thunka that, thanks! Anyway, I did it, yesterday, after
having copied /home to an external drive; burned it to disk, and did an
install -- with a very curious result.

The install completed normally, afaict, including rebooting into
Firstboot, accepting a userid, and again completing normally afaict.

But then it failed to boot normally any more. I got it into
troubleshooting mode, and discovered a vast array of files under /boot/
grub -- including one called grub.cfg.

So I hopped over to supergrubdisk.org, and sure enough, they had
a version ready for grub2. It didn't handle this case -- and something in
recovery mode or some such gave me the hint that F16 had grub 1.99

So I went back to my old supergrubdisk, which, after some
fiddling, announced success.

But something is still wrong. It gets part way through booting,
then gives me an error box saying it failed to load session "gdm-shell"
and a Log Out button. Clicking the button just takes you back to the same
error box.

At that point, it does accept an ssh connection. Using one, I
tried yum update, and also added a few things; but no joy.

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Power User

Old 10-31-2011, 07:57 PM
Joe Zeff

On 10/31/2011 01:06 PM, Beartooth wrote:
> But something is still wrong. It gets part way through booting,
> then gives me an error box saying it failed to load session "gdm-shell"
> and a Log Out button. Clicking the button just takes you back to the same
> error box.

It sounds as though you don't have a display manager installed to handle
logging in. Try going to an alternate tty with Ctrl-F2, logging in and
running startx. If that works, try installing gdm, logging out and
rebooting.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:55 PM
Pete Travis

On Oct 31, 2011 2:58 PM, "Joe Zeff" <joe@zeff.us> wrote:

> On 10/31/2011 01:06 PM, Beartooth wrote:

> > * * * But something is still wrong. It gets part way through booting,

> > then gives me an error box saying it failed to load session "gdm-shell"

> > and a Log Out button. Clicking the button just takes you back to the same

> > error box.

> It sounds as though you don't have a display manager installed to handle

> logging in. *Try going to an alternate tty with Ctrl-F2, logging in and

> running startx. *If that works, try installing gdm, logging out and

> rebooting.

> --

You might also want to verify the files you restored to /home are properly owned.* I don't recall how SL behaves offhand, but with F16 UIDs started at 1000 instead of 500 as in the past. A simple "chown -R user /home/user " should take care of any permissions problems migration might lead to.