Old 03-20-2008, 09:57 PM
Rick Bilonick

Default NetworkManager Is Driving Me Crazy!

> Aaron Konstam wrote:
>

> > I don't think NM supports static addresses yet but soon.
> > --
>
> It has partial support in Rawhide. If you create static networks with
> system-config-network, NM will honor them. It hasn't grown a UI to
> create a new one from scratch but that is planned.
>
> Rahul

This all misses the point. I've turned NM off and killed everything I
can think of yet wlan0 keeps getting activated. How do I stop it from
screwing up my static network connection? nm-applet USED TO HAVE a
button for a wired network under Fedora 6 and my wireless and wired
connections worked together without any problem. Under Fedora 8, the
wired connection disappeared, reappeared briefly, and now is gone again.
Why are we going backwards?

Rick B.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:14 PM
Paul Shaffer

Rick Bilonick <rab@nauticom.net> wrote:
> Aaron Konstam wrote:
>

> > I don't think NM supports static addresses yet but soon.
> > --
>
> It has partial support in Rawhide. If you create static networks with
> system-config-network, NM will honor them. It hasn't grown a UI to
> create a new one from scratch but that is planned.
>
> Rahul

This all misses the point. I've turned NM off and killed everything I
can think of yet wlan0 keeps getting activated. How do I stop it from
screwing up my static network connection? nm-applet USED TO HAVE a
button for a wired network under Fedora 6 and my wireless and wired
connections worked together without any problem. Under Fedora 8,
the
wired connection disappeared, reappeared briefly, and now is gone again.
Why are we going backwards?

Rick B.

No, we're just not going in a direction that is conducive to your particular mode of operation at this time.* I just disabled it in the bios on my daughter's laptop.* She doesn't need it.

Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com

Old 03-20-2008, 10:26 PM
Matthew Saltzman

On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 16:34 -0400, Rick Bilonick wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 16:02 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 15:13 -0400, Rick Bilonick wrote:
> > > When I first set up Fedora 8, I had some problems getting wlan0 (via
> > > ndiswrapper) working. Now I can prevent wlan0 from being activated, even
> > > when I'm using a wired connection via eth0.
> > >
> > > I connect wirelessly at home and wired at the office. When I'm in the
> > > office, I have to turn off NetworkManager (using services), kill
> > > wpa_supplicant and nm-applet, and change config-services-network for
> > > wlan0 so it's not being controlled by NetworkManager. This lets me
> > > activate and use eth0. This works fine for about 30-60 minutes and then
> >
> > Is this because you have a static address at work?
> >
> > > wlan0 gets activated and screws up accessing the network. Then I have to
> > > deactivate wlan0 and eth0, and re-activate eth0 so I can use the network
> > > again. I have to do this over and over.
> > >
> > > I have no clue as to why wlan0 is being activated with eth0 already
> > > being activated and I don't know what program is causing this to happen.
> > > I suspect it's something to do with NetworkManager because I never had
> > > this problem before using NM. But I don't know for sure.
> > >
> > > How can I prevent wlan0 from being activated???
> >
> > In NM, you can turn off all wireless interfaces by right-clicking the
> > applet and unchecking "enable wireless". Then NM should connect to your
> > wired network only.
> >
> > The advance release of NetworkManager-0.7.0-0.6.7.svn3370.fc8 at
> > http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/ seems to have the ability to connect
> > to the interface described in ifcfg-ethX as an option, rather than
> > connecting via DHCP.
>
> Yes, I forgot to add that eth0 is using a static address. I had tried
> turning off networking and wireless in the nm-applet but this did not
> stop wlan0 from activating. That's why I killed nm-applet,
> wpa_supplicant and turned off NetworkManager. I don't know what else to
> do.

Try the Koji packages, for one thing. They allow you to use a static
address defined in ifcfg-ethX, and they may be better about your
spontaneous start problem. If they don't help with that, try the NM
mailing list at gnome.org.

It's hard to see how a program that isn't running could turn on an
interface, though. If you prevent NM from running at boot (chkconfig
NetworkManager off), do you have the same problem?

--
Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu
http://www.math.clemson.edu/~mjs

Old 03-20-2008, 10:31 PM
Rick Stevens

Rick Bilonick wrote:

Aaron Konstam wrote:

I don't think NM supports static addresses yet but soon.
--
It has partial support in Rawhide. If you create static networks with
system-config-network, NM will honor them. It hasn't grown a UI to
create a new one from scratch but that is planned.

Rahul

This all misses the point. I've turned NM off and killed everything I
can think of yet wlan0 keeps getting activated. How do I stop it from
screwing up my static network connection? nm-applet USED TO HAVE a
button for a wired network under Fedora 6 and my wireless and wired
connections worked together without any problem. Under Fedora 8, the
wired connection disappeared, reappeared briefly, and now is gone again.
Why are we going backwards?

Make sure you have "ONBOOT=no" in the
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 file.
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer rps2@nerd.com -
- Hosting Consulting, Inc. -
- -
- Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a -
- rigged demo. -

Old 03-21-2008, 04:30 AM
Rick Bilonick

On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 16:31 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Rick Bilonick wrote:

> >> It has partial support in Rawhide. If you create static networks with
> >> system-config-network, NM will honor them. It hasn't grown a UI to
> >> create a new one from scratch but that is planned.
> >>
> >> Rahul
> >>

> > This all misses the point. I've turned NM off and killed everything I
> > can think of yet wlan0 keeps getting activated. How do I stop it from
> > screwing up my static network connection? nm-applet USED TO HAVE a
> > button for a wired network under Fedora 6 and my wireless and wired
> > connections worked together without any problem. Under Fedora 8, the
> > wired connection disappeared, reappeared briefly, and now is gone again.
> > Why are we going backwards?
>
> Make sure you have "ONBOOT=no" in the
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 file.
> - Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer rps2@nerd.com -
> - Hosting Consulting, Inc. -
> - -
> - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a -
> - rigged demo. -

wlan0 is not set to be activated on boot. I will have to set NM not to
come on when the machine boots. Maybe that will help. I would imagine
there are a lot of people who have wireless at home and a wired
connection at the office. It used to work just fine under Fedora 6.

Rick B.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:33 AM
Aaron Konstam

On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 18:57 -0400, Rick Bilonick wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 02:37 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > Aaron Konstam wrote:
> >

> > > I don't think NM supports static addresses yet but soon.
> > > --
> >
> > It has partial support in Rawhide. If you create static networks with
> > system-config-network, NM will honor them. It hasn't grown a UI to
> > create a new one from scratch but that is planned.
> >
> > Rahul
> >

> This all misses the point. I've turned NM off and killed everything I
> can think of yet wlan0 keeps getting activated. How do I stop it from
> screwing up my static network connection? nm-applet USED TO HAVE a
> button for a wired network under Fedora 6 and my wireless and wired
> connections worked together without any problem. Under Fedora 8, the
> wired connection disappeared, reappeared briefly, and now is gone again.
> Why are we going backwards?
>
> Rick
Wired network is not the same as static address (vs DHCP).
It is hard to believe that if NM is not running nm-applet will do
anything. Do you really mean that nm-applet is still showing up and
connecting to your wireless?

Old 03-21-2008, 11:36 AM
Aaron Konstam

On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 01:30 -0400, Rick Bilonick wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 16:31 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
> > Rick Bilonick wrote:

> > > This all misses the point. I've turned NM off and killed everything I
> > > can think of yet wlan0 keeps getting activated. How do I stop it from
> > > screwing up my static network connection? nm-applet USED TO HAVE a
> > > button for a wired network under Fedora 6 and my wireless and wired
> > > connections worked together without any problem. Under Fedora 8, the
> > > wired connection disappeared, reappeared briefly, and now is gone again.
> > > Why are we going backwards?
> >
> > Make sure you have "ONBOOT=no" in the
> > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 file.
> > - Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer rps2@nerd.com -
> > - Hosting Consulting, Inc. -
> > - -
> > - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a -
> > - rigged demo. -
> >

> wlan0 is not set to be activated on boot. I will have to set NM not to
> come on when the machine boots. Maybe that will help. I would imagine
> there are a lot of people who have wireless at home and a wired
> connection at the office. It used to work just fine under Fedora 6.
>
> Rick B.

NM never worked with static address connections. wired and wireless yes
but both using DHCP.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:04 PM
Robert Locke

On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 06:36 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 01:30 -0400, Rick Bilonick wrote:

> > > Make sure you have "ONBOOT=no" in the
> > > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 file.
> > > - Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer rps2@nerd.com -
> > > - Hosting Consulting, Inc. -
> > > - -
> > > - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a -
> > > - rigged demo. -
> > >

> > wlan0 is not set to be activated on boot. I will have to set NM not to
> > come on when the machine boots. Maybe that will help. I would imagine
> > there are a lot of people who have wireless at home and a wired
> > connection at the office. It used to work just fine under Fedora 6.
> >
> > Rick B.
> >
> NM never worked with static address connections. wired and wireless yes
> but both using DHCP.

Actually, a LONG time ago (or at least it feels like it - read: "I don't
remember when it stopped"), NM actually read my ifcfg-eth0. Perhaps
this is when it was "first" introduced and all it was doing was an "ifup
eth0" on its own, but I did use it that way and was able to have static
on wired and dynamic on wireless. I don't remember if static on
wireless every worked since I never had that "need".

And, yes, current situation in terms of "released" code is that the
settings are embedded at a "user" level and currently only support
dynamic, though static support is "coming" as is earlier starting in the
boot process with "system" rather than "user" settings.... But I have
plenty of patience, as it still has not hit 1.0 after all.....

--Rob

Old 03-21-2008, 03:30 PM
"Paul Johnson"

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 2:13 PM, Rick Bilonick <rab@nauticom.net> wrote:
> When I first set up Fedora 8, I had some problems getting wlan0 (via
> ndiswrapper) working. Now I can prevent wlan0 from being activated, even
> when I'm using a wired connection via eth0.

Step back from the details a minute. This post reminded me of a debate
we had here last week about wireless. I think some extra services are
running on your laptop. Also, I think there is some miscommunication
about what it means to have wireless "on".

You say you have to kill wpa_supplicant manually, and I think that is
a sign of the first mis-configuration. The wpa_supplicant service
should be turned off in system-config-services. In there you should
also have the network service turned off. NetworkManager can start a
wpa_supplicant process if it needs one, and it will turn it off for
you when you stop the NetworkManager.

If you turn off NetworkManager and NetworkManagerDispatcher as well,
then it is absolutely impossible for the laptop to automatically
bring up a wireless connection. It just can't happen.

Now, if you run "/sbin/ifconfig" you should see no devices. Do you see devices?

My situation is like yours. I have wireless various places, and also a
static IP at the office.

I leave NetworkManager turned on. (network is off, wpa_supplicant is
off). When I go to the office and start up, NM tries to search for
wireless networks and join them, but always fails. It searches for
wired DHCP as well. As soon as the network icon appears in the panel,
then I click on that icon (nm-applet is the program it comes from) and
turn off networking. Note I mean turn off all networking, not just
wireless.

Then I open a terminal and manually turn on my configured wired
device, either with system-config-network or "/sbin/ifup eth0" (were
I did the configuration before with s-c-n).

After turning on the wire, I read the contents of "/etc/resolv.conf"
to make sure the DNS server is correct. It is almost never correct,
because without DHCP running, I have the last valid name server.
Sometimes it is correct, and I think that is because, before I stopped
NetworkManager, it scanned the environment and found a server that was
willing to tell it the DNS. But that doesn't always happen.

Even after going through this exercise, I still generally see the
wlan0 device listed in /sbin/ifconfig output. IT is listed, but it is
not associated, it has not obtained an IP number, and it does not
cause trouble (yet).

PJ

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science

Old 03-21-2008, 08:40 PM
Timothy Murphy

Rick Bilonick wrote:

> This all misses the point. I've turned NM off and killed everything I
> can think of yet wlan0 keeps getting activated. How do I stop it from
> screwing up my static network connection?

If that happened to me I would first look in /etc/modprobe.conf
to see if wlan0 is mentioned,
then in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
and delete the line if mentioned there.
Then I'd delete /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 -
well, actually I always save back versions of ifcfg-<if>.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366