Old 03-20-2008, 09:18 PM
Alan Cox

Default significance of RAM errors?

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 14:55:51 -0700
Dave Stevens <geek@uniserve.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a dual boot system with Windows and Linux on separate drives. After
> some recent problems with booting I ran memtest86. In 40 hours more or less I
> got about 600 memory errors. I don't like this but am somewhat at a loss to
> understand how it compares to other systems or what consequences are likely
> to stem from this. What I want to avoid is system instability and
> unpredictable behaviour. Can anyone point me to more information about how to
> interpret this result? or has anyone an opinion?

Any memtest86 error is a system fault. If you have ECC they may end up as
corrected errors most of the time. You probably have a faulty memory
module but before you replace them (and especially if it used to be
reliable) remove and reseat all the memory in case its spots of
dirt etc).

*DON'T* try and clean the connectors unless
a) You use a very very light abrasive
b) You follow static precautions strictly

Alan

Old 03-26-2008, 02:45 PM
Robin Laing

Dave Stevens wrote:

Hi,

I have a dual boot system with Windows and Linux on separate drives. After
some recent problems with booting I ran memtest86. In 40 hours more or less I
got about 600 memory errors. I don't like this but am somewhat at a loss to
understand how it compares to other systems or what consequences are likely
to stem from this. What I want to avoid is system instability and
unpredictable behaviour. Can anyone point me to more information about how to
interpret this result? or has anyone an opinion?

Dave

I have only had the experience of running testament once and it didn't
find any errors with my system but I kept having issues that pointed to
memory. A new system that ran great with 4Gig but would crash with 8gig
of RAM. Same make of modules and it didn't matter what modules were in,
system ran great with only two modules, not four.

I noticed that the version of memtest that I ran didn't show the correct
configuration for the RAM. I ended up downloading the latest memtest
and this indicated the correct memory for my system. No errors were
indicated so I then looked at other options. It turned out that the
BIOS on my system had a few major updates so I installed them and the
system has been stable.

Try to update the BIOS if possible and then try the memtest again it may
make a difference.

--
Robin Laing