Old 11-27-2007, 01:53 AM
"Geoffrey Bays"

Default kernel panic on boot--need grub help

I just installed fedora 8 on my AMD 64 X2 box using a live x64 DVD,
set it to install from my Kubuntu hard disk (sda), and did not choose
the option to reinstall grub.(Woe is me.)
I figured that I would edit /boot/grub/menu.lst where Kubuntu keeps
the grub boot list.So far, I have only gotten kernel panics.
I would reinstall Fedora from the live DVD and choose to reinstall
grub on the kubuntu disk, but the mouse pointer now disappears after I
enter the user name.
So, I need help from someone's grub.conf file, (or help with
disappearing mouse pointer?)

In my menu.lst, I have:

title Fedora (2.6.23.1-42.fc8)
root (hd1,0) // second hard drive, first partition
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-42.fc8 ro root=/dev/sdb //have
tried 'root=LABEL=/' also without 'ro'
initrd /initrd-2.6.23.1-42.fc8.img //have tried without initrd line
savedefault
boot

In grub interactive itself, grub finds the kernel, but at the initrd line gives
error 16: inconsistent file structure or something like that.

Can anyone get this fedora to boot?
Really want it for the newest alsa drivers

Many thanks

geoffrey

Old 11-27-2007, 03:14 AM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Geoffrey Bays wrote:
> I just installed fedora 8 on my AMD 64 X2 box using a live x64 DVD,
> set it to install from my Kubuntu hard disk (sda), and did not choose
> the option to reinstall grub.(Woe is me.)
> I figured that I would edit /boot/grub/menu.lst where Kubuntu keeps
> the grub boot list.So far, I have only gotten kernel panics.
> I would reinstall Fedora from the live DVD and choose to reinstall
> grub on the kubuntu disk, but the mouse pointer now disappears after I
> enter the user name.
> So, I need help from someone's grub.conf file, (or help with
> disappearing mouse pointer?)
>
> In my menu.lst, I have:
>
> title Fedora (2.6.23.1-42.fc8)
> root (hd1,0) // second hard drive, first partition
> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-42.fc8 ro root=/dev/sdb //have
> tried 'root=LABEL=/' also without 'ro'
> initrd /initrd-2.6.23.1-42.fc8.img //have tried without initrd line
> savedefault
> boot
>
> In grub interactive itself, grub finds the kernel, but at the initrd line gives
> error 16: inconsistent file structure or something like that.
>
> Can anyone get this fedora to boot?
> Really want it for the newest alsa drivers

You are telling the kernel that the / partition is the entire drive
/dev/sdb, instead of something like /dev/sdb1. (Okay - probably
not/dev/sdb1, as that is your /boot partition...) In any case, you
are not giving the kernel a valid partition for /, so it panics.

Now, as far as the cursor problem, that is probably a
hardware/software cursor selection problem, and may requiring
editing your xorg.conf file. I forget the exact option, but someone
will have it. Or do a search on hardware cursor.

Mikkel

Old 11-27-2007, 05:37 AM
"Tod Merley"

On Nov 26, 2007 6:53 PM, Geoffrey Bays <charioteer7@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just installed fedora 8 on my AMD 64 X2 box using a live x64 DVD,
> set it to install from my Kubuntu hard disk (sda), and did not choose
> the option to reinstall grub.(Woe is me.)
> I figured that I would edit /boot/grub/menu.lst where Kubuntu keeps
> the grub boot list.So far, I have only gotten kernel panics.
> I would reinstall Fedora from the live DVD and choose to reinstall
> grub on the kubuntu disk, but the mouse pointer now disappears after I
> enter the user name.
> So, I need help from someone's grub.conf file, (or help with
> disappearing mouse pointer?)
>
> In my menu.lst, I have:
>
> title Fedora (2.6.23.1-42.fc8)
> root (hd1,0) // second hard drive, first partition
> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-42.fc8 ro root=/dev/sdb //have
> tried 'root=LABEL=/' also without 'ro'
> initrd /initrd-2.6.23.1-42.fc8.img //have tried without initrd line
> savedefault
> boot
>
> In grub interactive itself, grub finds the kernel, but at the initrd line gives
> error 16: inconsistent file structure or something like that.
>
> Can anyone get this fedora to boot?
> Really want it for the newest alsa drivers
>

> Many thanks
>
> geoffrey

Hi Geoffrey!

Mikkel is pretty sharp and has probably solved your problem. But if no joy:

On the live DVD, let the user window time out. It will launch as the
live user, not you which it finds on disk and tries to use.

The grub error may point to a "stage 1.5" grub load problem where it
does not have a proper file system driver loaded. For example perhaps
Kubuntu is using ext3 and Fedora ext2.

This may be a time to learn all about the MBR. Google "Linux MBR".
"GRUB MBR" and "MBR thestarman".

Good Hunting!

Tod

Old 11-27-2007, 05:38 AM
Mohammed Omar

hi,

In your menu.lst, I found:

title Fedora (2.6.23.1-42.fc8)
root (hd1,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-42.fc8 ro root=/dev/sdb //have
initrd /initrd-2.6.23.1-42.fc8.img
savedefault
boot

>> root=/dev/sdb looks wrong... give correct root option, it might be
root=/dev/sdb2 , as sdb1 is /boot partition u mentioned above
root (hd1,0). If u cannot find exact root=/dev/???, check /etc/fstab
entry by going to grub> prompt. And initrd line is needed.

--thanks
omar

Old 11-27-2007, 01:12 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Mohammed Omar wrote:
> hi,
>
> In your menu.lst, I found:
>
> title Fedora (2.6.23.1-42.fc8)
> root (hd1,0)
> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-42.fc8 ro root=/dev/sdb //have
> initrd /initrd-2.6.23.1-42.fc8.img
> savedefault
> boot
>

>>> root=/dev/sdb looks wrong... give correct root option, it might be
> root=/dev/sdb2 , as sdb1 is /boot partition u mentioned above
> root (hd1,0). If u cannot find exact root=/dev/???, check /etc/fstab
> entry by going to grub> prompt. And initrd line is needed.
>

> --thanks
> omar

If he used LVM, then it will probably be something like:

root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00

Mikkel