Old 03-20-2008, 01:49 PM
Phil Rhoades

Default PCMCIA wireless card that "works out of the box"?

People,

I have been struggling with a Linksys wpc54g card and I have pretty much
given up on it - I just want something that works reliably and "out of
the box" with native Linux (Fedora 8) support - instead of using
NDISwrapper etc. I am not trying to start a flame war, I just want
suggestions about well supported cards.

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

Pricom Pty Limited (ACN 003 252 275 ABN 91 003 252 275)
GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW 2001
Australia
Fax: +610)2-8221-9599
E-mail: phil@pricom.com.au

Old 03-20-2008, 02:26 PM
Terry Polzin

On Thursday 20 March 2008 10:49, Phil Rhoades wrote:
> People,
>
> I have been struggling with a Linksys wpc54g card and I have pretty much
> given up on it - I just want something that works reliably and "out of
> the box" with native Linux (Fedora 8) support - instead of using
> NDISwrapper etc. I am not trying to start a flame war, I just want
> suggestions about well supported cards.

If you can find an ORINOCO card they work great. You wan to be sure you have
one of the original cards either GOLD or SILVER. Check ebay.

Sadly, they are only 802.11b

Old 03-20-2008, 02:30 PM
Phil Rhoades

Tom,

On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 11:15 -0400, Tom Freeman wrote:
> On 03/20/2008 10:49:05 AM, Phil Rhoades wrote:
> > People,
> >
> > I have been struggling with a Linksys wpc54g card and I have pretty
> > much
> > given up on it - I just want something that works reliably and "out
> > of
> > the box" with native Linux (Fedora 8) support - instead of using
> > NDISwrapper etc. I am not trying to start a flame war, I just want
> > suggestions about well supported cards.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> I can't offer good advise here - for my pcmcia card I bought and tried
> until I got something that worked. Kind of an expensive method...
>
> As a tangent, however, can a business case be made for Red Hat to
> develop / market a proper open source wireless adapter line? I realize
> that the retail channel hasn't been Red Hat's strongest effort over the
> years, so I will not hold my breath.

That's a good idea though - it is sort of a special case because the
area is very weak for Linux (along with audio?).

Out of interest, which card did you end up using?

Thanks,

Phil.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:01 PM
"John W. Linville"

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 11:26:39AM -0400, Terry Polzin wrote:
> On Thursday 20 March 2008 10:49, Phil Rhoades wrote:
> > People,
> >
> > I have been struggling with a Linksys wpc54g card and I have pretty much
> > given up on it - I just want something that works reliably and "out of
> > the box" with native Linux (Fedora 8) support - instead of using
> > NDISwrapper etc. I am not trying to start a flame war, I just want
> > suggestions about well supported cards.
>
> If you can find an ORINOCO card they work great. You wan to be sure you have
> one of the original cards either GOLD or SILVER. Check ebay.

YMMV -- I just bought a "Orinoco 11a/b/g Client ComboCard Gold" off
eBay, and internally it is an Atheros device -- one not yet supported
by ath5k.

> Sadly, they are only 802.11b

Perhaps this is a clue if you decide to buy "orinoco".

I've seen this too many times to be comfortable recommending
purchasing any wireless card solely on the basis of its marketing name.
Unfortunately, you usually don't get any other information at retail.
So, buy from a store with a good return policy...

John
--
John W. Linville
linville@redhat.com

Old 03-20-2008, 04:52 PM
Mike

Phil Rhoades <phil <at> pricom.com.au> writes:

> People,
>
> I have been struggling with a Linksys wpc54g card and I have pretty much
> given up on it - I just want something that works reliably and "out of
> the box" with native Linux (Fedora 8) support - instead of using

Although the following suggestion is not for PCMCIA but for a usb dongle
I have been using an Edimax EW-7318UG usb wireless adapter for some time
on an old laptop running F8. It uses the rt73usb driver that is in the current
kernels and works out of the box with no further ado. I get a solid 54Mbps
connection and have had no hassles with it at all.

If you have a spare usb port I can certainly recommend it. HTH

Old 03-21-2008, 12:54 AM
"Knute Johnson"

>People,
>
>I have been struggling with a Linksys wpc54g card and I have pretty much
>given up on it - I just want something that works reliably and "out of
>the box" with native Linux (Fedora 8) support - instead of using
>NDISwrapper etc. I am not trying to start a flame war, I just want
>suggestions about well supported cards.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Phil.

I've got a Linksys WPC54GS PCMCIA card that works great but I had to
add the BW drivers. I've also got a Linksys WUSB54GC USB dongle that
works with the rt73 drivers that are already loaded with F8. I
cannot tell you how many hours I have spent trying to get wireless to
work. FC6 and F7 I never could get to work. F8 is pretty easy.

I'm seriously considering going to Fry's to buy a dozen or two USB
adapters, bringing them home and getting them to work on F8 and then
selling them to everybody else that can't seem to get wireless up and
running.

--

Knute Johnson
Molon Labe...

Old 03-21-2008, 11:12 AM
Phil Rhoades

Knute,

On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 18:54 -0700, Knute Johnson wrote:
> >People,
> >
> >I have been struggling with a Linksys wpc54g card and I have pretty much
> >given up on it - I just want something that works reliably and "out of
> >the box" with native Linux (Fedora 8) support - instead of using
> >NDISwrapper etc. I am not trying to start a flame war, I just want
> >suggestions about well supported cards.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Phil.
>
> I've got a Linksys WPC54GS PCMCIA card that works great but I had to
> add the BW drivers. I've also got a Linksys WUSB54GC USB dongle that
> works with the rt73 drivers that are already loaded with F8. I
> cannot tell you how many hours I have spent trying to get wireless to
> work. FC6 and F7 I never could get to work. F8 is pretty easy.
>
> I'm seriously considering going to Fry's to buy a dozen or two USB
> adapters, bringing them home and getting them to work on F8 and then
> selling them to everybody else that can't seem to get wireless up and
> running.

It looks like I should be considering USB dongles too . .

Thanks,

Phil.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:23 PM
"Erik P. Olsen"

Mike wrote:

Phil Rhoades <phil <at> pricom.com.au> writes:

People,

I have been struggling with a Linksys wpc54g card and I have pretty much
given up on it - I just want something that works reliably and "out of
the box" with native Linux (Fedora 8) support - instead of using

Although the following suggestion is not for PCMCIA but for a usb dongle
I have been using an Edimax EW-7318UG usb wireless adapter for some time

on an old laptop running F8. It uses the rt73usb driver that is in the current
kernels and works out of the box with no further ado. I get a solid 54Mbps
connection and have had no hassles with it at all.

If you have a spare usb port I can certainly recommend it. HTH

This is odd. I have an EW-7318UG dongle which I have tried in vain to run on F8.
When I configure it I get a whole list of devices non of which is this device.
If I do a lsusb I get: ID: 148f:2573 Ralink Technologies, Corp and I can't see
that mentioned either. What magic have you done to make it work?

--
Erik.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:41 PM
"Jonathan Underwood"

On 20/03/2008, Phil Rhoades <phil@pricom.com.au> wrote:
> People,
>
> I have been struggling with a Linksys wpc54g card and I have pretty much
> given up on it - I just want something that works reliably and "out of
> the box" with native Linux (Fedora 8) support - instead of using
> NDISwrapper etc. I am not trying to start a flame war, I just want
> suggestions about well supported cards.

Phil - have a look at these devices, they work out of the box with
F-8, being based on the ralink chipsets:

http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/products/wireless/

Jonathan.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:33 PM
Jim

Erik P. Olsen wrote:

Mike wrote:

[...]

One thing you have got to keep in mind is that when someone tells you
that a EW-7318UG works great in his box, and he bought the dongle about
a year ago, and the Manuf. made the same model # this year, but he puts
a different Manuf. Chipset in the same model# this year.
This is what a large number of Manuf. do and the poor old Linux guy gets
caught. Because there is no Driver for that
chipset yet. You have got to watch those Version #, and then that isn't
always the truth.