Old 10-28-2011, 08:00 PM
Beartooth

Default prognosticate preupgrade?

When I first tried F15, I managed to get it hopelessly snarled;
but now I have an expendable laptop running F16 Beta with xfce, and I
think I can learn to live with it. The rest of my machines all still run
F14. I'm wondering what my chances would be if I ran preupgrade twice on
any of them. Anybody want to venture an educated guess?

Old 10-28-2011, 08:05 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 28.10.2011 22:00, schrieb Beartooth:

> When I first tried F15, I managed to get it hopelessly snarled;
> but now I have an expendable laptop running F16 Beta with xfce, and I
> think I can learn to live with it. The rest of my machines all still run
> F14. I'm wondering what my chances would be if I ran preupgrade twice on
> any of them. Anybody want to venture an educated guess?

why using preupgrade instead of "yum --releasever=xxx distro-sync"?

i made some hundret dist-upgrades with yum from F9 to F15 since
2006 and they are ALWAYS better than any crap restarting the system
without the possibilty to check basics like grub-config and hope
they will really boot

Old 10-28-2011, 09:21 PM
suvayu ali

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 22:00, Beartooth <beartooth@comcast.net> wrote:

> * * * *When I first tried F15, I managed to get it hopelessly snarled;
> but now I have an expendable laptop running F16 Beta with xfce, and I
> think I can learn to live with it. The rest of my machines all still run
> F14. I'm wondering what my chances would be if I ran preupgrade twice on
> any of them. Anybody want to venture an educated guess?

I preupgraded my F14 to F16 beta last week (directly, not via F15).
There was one issue with grub and grubby[1], one orphaned rpm from the
openoffice suite (extended-PDF) and some problem with the boot process
but I haven't been able to debug that yet. I have a strong feeling this
is related to the grub problem I mentioned before. Other than these
issues, everything seems fine so far.

GL

Footnotes:

[1] <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F16_bugs#Upgrade_to_Fedora_16_Beta_with_pre upgrade_leaves_bootloader_in_previous_configuratio n>

--
Suvayu

Old 11-09-2011, 10:56 AM
Randy Vice

I'm using this command:*yum --releasever=15 --skip-broken distro-sync*
I'm getting the following errors, not sure what I need to do to correct it:
Running Transaction Test

Transaction Check Error:* file /usr/share/man/man2/quotactl.2.gz from install of man-pages-3.32-8.fc15.noarch conflicts with file from package quota-1:3.17-18.fc14.x86_64* file
/usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.xfce.Xfconf.service conflicts between attempted installs of xfconf-4.8.0-2.fc15.i686 and xfconf-4.8.0-2.fc15.x86_64
Any suggestions on how to correct the above?
Thanks
Randy

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----