Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Fedora User (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/)
-   -   Public computer control (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/592220-public-computer-control.html)

"antonio.montagnani@alice.it" 10-28-2011 10:59 AM

Public computer control
 
We are installing linux on public library network

I have two easy questions:


1) how can I control time of a session, i.e. to have logout automatically after
a certain time from login??
2) how can I make all personal data flushed at
logout??

Any applications available??

Any experience in library installation
of Fedora???

Tnx

Antonio
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Bruno Wolff III 10-28-2011 02:16 PM

Public computer control
 
On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 12:59:10 +0200,
"antonio.montagnani@alice.it" <antonio.montagnani@alice.it> wrote:
> We are installing linux on public library network
>
> I have two easy questions:
>
>
> 1) how can I control time of a session, i.e. to have logout automatically after
> a certain time from login??
> 2) how can I make all personal data flushed at
> logout??

You might want to look at xguest for the second part.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Antonio M 10-28-2011 02:19 PM

Public computer control
 
2011/10/28 Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to>:
> On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 12:59:10 +0200,
> *"antonio.montagnani@alice.it" <antonio.montagnani@alice.it> wrote:
>> We are installing linux on public library network
>>
>> I have two easy questions:
>>
>>
>> 1) how can I control time of a session, i.e. to have logout automatically after
>> a certain time from login??
>> 2) how can I make all personal data flushed at
>> logout??
>
> You might want to look at xguest for the second part.
> --
> users mailing list
> users@lists.fedoraproject.org
> To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
> Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
>

yes, I know xguest, but I understand that guest can work only with
firefox: is it correct???

--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : amontag52
SIP: antoniomontag@ekiga.net
Linux Fedora 15 Lovelock
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Bruno Wolff III 10-28-2011 03:21 PM

Public computer control
 
On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 16:19:22 +0200,
Antonio M <antonio.montagnani@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> yes, I know xguest, but I understand that guest can work only with
> firefox: is it correct???

Are you asking about the limits on network use? If so, you should be able
to label other programs (or customize the policy) so that they have network
access.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

antonio 10-28-2011 05:19 PM

Public computer control
 
Bruno Wolff III ha scritto / said the following il giorno/on
28/10/2011 17:21:
> On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 16:19:22 +0200,
> Antonio M<antonio.montagnani@gmail.com> wrote:
>> yes, I know xguest, but I understand that guest can work only with
>> firefox: is it correct???
> Are you asking about the limits on network use? If so, you should be able
> to label other programs (or customize the policy) so that they have network
> access.

Not sure...I would to set up a box where a user (no password required)
might surf the net with Firefox but also write a document with
Libreoffice and a few other applications: and at the end of his session
any data would be deleted and a different user might use same box.
That'all ;-)

--
Antonio M
Skype: amontag52

Linux Fedora F15 (Lovelock) on Acer 5720

http://lugsaronno.altervista.org
http://www.campingmonterosa.com
http://www.studiodacolpaloschi.it




--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Dennis Kaptain 10-28-2011 05:41 PM

Public computer control
 
________________________________
De: "antonio.montagnani@alice.it" <antonio.montagnani@alice.it>
Para: users@lists.fedoraproject.org
Enviado: Viernes, 28 de octubre, 2011 5:59:10
Asunto: Public computer control

We are installing linux on public library network

I have two easy questions:


1) how can I control time of a session, i.e. to have logout automatically after
a certain time from login??
2) how can I make all personal data flushed at
logout??

Any applications available??

Any experience in library installation
of Fedora???

Tnx

Antonio
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
*
*
Brute force method:
save a copy of /home/guest in /somethingorother/guest
on login, have .bash_profile set a timestamp in /home/guest/.logintime
make a cronjob that checks the .logintime timestamp every 5 minutes.
when the time expires, kill the session, delete /home/guest, copy /somethingorother/guest to /home
*
shouldn't be that hard to do and meets all your requirements. It's kind of rude killing a like that session if someone is still working though...
*
Dennis K
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Bruno Wolff III 10-28-2011 09:07 PM

Public computer control
 
On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 19:19:08 +0200,
antonio <antonio.montagnani@gmail.com> wrote:
> Bruno Wolff III ha scritto / said the following il giorno/on
> 28/10/2011 17:21:
> > On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 16:19:22 +0200,
> > Antonio M<antonio.montagnani@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> yes, I know xguest, but I understand that guest can work only with
> >> firefox: is it correct???
> > Are you asking about the limits on network use? If so, you should be able
> > to label other programs (or customize the policy) so that they have network
> > access.
>
> Not sure...I would to set up a box where a user (no password required)
> might surf the net with Firefox but also write a document with
> Libreoffice and a few other applications: and at the end of his session
> any data would be deleted and a different user might use same box.
> That'all ;-)

That sounds like something xguest would facilitate. Why don't you try it
out to see if it meets your requirements.

If people are running libreoffice, are you expecting them to save their work
someplace? If so where?
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:50 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.