Old 10-27-2011, 11:25 PM
Geoffrey Leach

Default UUID for USB devices

Under Fedora 14 the following procedure worked for discovering the UUID
for a USB device.

Insert device
Look in /dev/disk/by-label for device
Use file cmd to find device assigned
Look in /dev/disk/by-uuid for the UUID assigned (link to same device)

Alas, that no longer works. Anyone have an up-to-date procedure?

Thanks.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:01 AM
Bruno Wolff III

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 16:25:37 -0700,
Geoffrey Leach <geoff@hughes.net> wrote:
> Under Fedora 14 the following procedure worked for discovering the UUID
> for a USB device.
>
> Insert device
> Look in /dev/disk/by-label for device
> Use file cmd to find device assigned
> Look in /dev/disk/by-uuid for the UUID assigned (link to same device)
>
> Alas, that no longer works. Anyone have an up-to-date procedure?

Does blkid tell you what you want to know?

Old 10-28-2011, 05:04 AM
Ed Greshko

On 10/28/2011 07:25 AM, Geoffrey Leach wrote:
> Under Fedora 14 the following procedure worked for discovering the UUID
> for a USB device.
>
> Insert device
> Look in /dev/disk/by-label for device
> Use file cmd to find device assigned
> Look in /dev/disk/by-uuid for the UUID assigned (link to same device)
>
> Alas, that no longer works. Anyone have an up-to-date procedure?
>
> Thanks.

Works fine for me on a fully updated F15 system...

--
Even if you do learn to speak correct English, whom are you going to
speak it to? -- Clarence Darrow

Old 10-28-2011, 02:20 PM
Geoffrey Leach

On 10/27/2011 10:04:38 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 10/28/2011 07:25 AM, Geoffrey Leach wrote:
> > Under Fedora 14 the following procedure worked for discovering the
> UUID
> > for a USB device.
> >
> > Insert device
> > Look in /dev/disk/by-label for device
> > Use file cmd to find device assigned
> > Look in /dev/disk/by-uuid for the UUID assigned (link to same
> device)
> >
> > Alas, that no longer works. Anyone have an up-to-date procedure?
>
> Works fine for me on a fully updated F15 system...

Hmmm.. good news and bad news I'm fully updated, but clearly I'm
missing something. I wonder what it could be.