Old 10-27-2011, 10:52 PM
Fernando Cassia

Default Not a good month for computer pioneers

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 19:16, Joe Zeff <joe@zeff.us> wrote:

On 10/27/2011 03:10 PM, Alan Evans wrote:

> First Jobs, then Ritchie, now McCarthy... Al Gore should be watching his back...

<set mode="flamebait">

No, Gore has nothing to worry about.

Only the good die young.

</mode>

:-)

I personally care most about James Gosling, Linus Torvalds, and Mike Cowlishaw, father of Rexx and NetRexx. Inventors of other languages / software that I donīt use, are irrelevant. ;-)

Sorry for being selfish.

FC
PS: Anyone knows what is former Borland founder Philippe Kahn up to lately? I miss Borland products... from the time they kicked the s... out of the competition (Quattro Pro, and the Paradox database).

*

Old 10-27-2011, 11:22 PM

<>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippe_Kahn

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

*please reply "plain text" only. "html text" are deleted*

****
**
**
**
So I installed Linux.
**
learn linux:
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****

Old 10-28-2011, 11:39 AM
Andrew Haley

On 10/27/2011 11:52 PM, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> I personally care most about James Gosling, Linus Torvalds, and Mike
> Cowlishaw, father of Rexx and NetRexx. Inventors of other languages /
> software that I donīt use, are irrelevant. ;-)

Well, McCarthy was one of the designers of ALGOL, and in particular he
first proposed recursion for the language. It's possible that few
(except perhaps McCarthy himself) knew how important this would be.

ALGOL 60 -> CPL -> BCPL -> B -> C

So there! :-)

Andrew.

McCarthy, J. (1959) On Conditional Expressions and Recursive Functions
(Letter). CACM, 2:8, 2-3. cited in proc. HOPL I.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:13 PM
Joe Wulf

Yea, I still have my first edition Turbo Pascal book (though not the 5 1/4" floppy, unfortunately).* Still in good condition, too.

PS: Anyone knows what is former Borland founder Philippe Kahn up to lately? I miss Borland products... from the time they kicked the s... out of the competition (Quattro Pro, and the Paradox database).
<snip>