Old 03-20-2008, 03:05 AM
Ric Moore

Default looking for intro-level content on USB

On Fri, 2008-03-07 at 10:36 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> i might have posted on this before once upon a time, but i'm looking
> to collect some newbie-level linux-related USB explanatory content for
> a seminar i'm supposed to give in a couple of weeks.
>
> in a nutshell (and is there any other kind?), it would be nice to
> start from scratch and build up to the point where attendees could
> then look at, say, the output from "lsusb" or the contents of
> /proc/bus/usb/devices and understand what it all means.
>
> this wouldn't involve any USB kernel programming -- just the ability
> to understand the basic USB technology, hierarchy and so on. and,
> yes, i'm aware of sites like linux-usb.org, but even those sites are
> sadly sagging under the weight of out-of-date content. so, rather
> than pointers to sites in general, if you have a URL for a specific
> page or tutorial, that would be even duckier.

So, how did it go? Are you about to put what you've gleaned into a web
page? What I would like to know should be simple. What can be hotplugged
into a running X-window session and what can't? I can plug in my mp3
player, as long as it's off, then turn it on and Fedora sees it as a
storage device. Nice! I plug my cellphone in, X locks up hard. So,
what's the Real Deal on just plugging something in, as a general rule??
I'm hoping there is a general rule! <grins> Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar