Old 10-27-2011, 06:25 PM
Beartooth

Default Drawer in xfce?

I'm running xfce on an expendable laptop (under F16, in case that
matters) which can also boot into gnome. How do I add a drawer or three
to a panel?
--
Beartooth Staffwright

Old 10-27-2011, 06:58 PM
Sjoerd Mullender

On 2011-10-27 20:25, Beartooth wrote:

> I'm running xfce on an expendable laptop (under F16, in case that
> matters) which can also boot into gnome. How do I add a drawer or three
> to a panel?

Right click on the item in the panel and choose Properties. Then add
items to the list.

--
Sjoerd Mullender

Old 10-28-2011, 05:14 PM
Beartooth

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 20:58:53 +0200, Sjoerd Mullender wrote:

>> I'm running xfce on an expendable laptop (under F16, in case that
>> matters) which can also boot into gnome. How do I add a drawer or three
>> to a panel?
>
> Right click on the item in the panel and choose Properties. Then add
> items to the list.

I'm not getting my question across. There is no drawer on the
panel. What I'm trying to do is get one.

Right-clicking on the bare panel, I've tried both "properties"
and "panel." With the latter I can get an option to "add items," but
there is neither an applet called "drawer" among the offerings, nor
anything with an icon that suggests one.

alacarte is installed, according to "yum install" -- but I find
no launcher for it, and doing "alacarte" or "alacarte &" either as user
or as root gets me an error complaining about "no module named
gmenu" (whatever that is). And "yum install gmenu" just gets "no package
gmenu available." The same happens with "drawer."

I'm thinking, of course, that maybe the drawer is there but
buried, and I could add it to the menu for "add items" -- if it has some
other name than "drawer." Or there may be some intermediate name like
"panel-applets" whose name I lack; "yum whatprovides _______" seems to be
getting itself lost in a wilderness of mirrors with three-line URLs
ending in "Couldn't resolve host."

Old 10-28-2011, 08:57 PM
Michael Cronenworth

Beartooth wrote:
> alacarte is installed, according to "yum install" -- but I find
> no launcher for it, and doing "alacarte" or "alacarte&" either as user
> or as root gets me an error complaining about "no module named
> gmenu" (whatever that is). And "yum install gmenu" just gets "no package
> gmenu available." The same happens with "drawer."

I don't use XFCE so I cannot help you with your OP, but the "no module
named gmenu" message indicates you have something wrong with your
install. You should have the package "gnome-menus" installed, which
contains the python module "gmenu" that alacarte is looking for.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:23 PM
suvayu ali

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 19:14, Beartooth <beartooth@comcast.net> wrote:

> * * * *Right-clicking on the bare panel, I've tried both "properties"
> and "panel." *With the latter I can get an option to "add items," but
> there is neither an applet called "drawer" among the offerings, nor
> anything with an icon that suggests one.

XFCE doesn't use a separate drawer item. Just add a launcher and add
multiple applications to it. If you have one application on a
launcher, it behaves as a regular launcher and putting more makes it
into a drawer.

HTH

--
Suvayu

Old 11-01-2011, 03:21 PM
Beartooth

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 23:23:50 +0200, suvayu ali wrote:

> XFCE doesn't use a separate drawer item. Just add a launcher and add
> multiple applications to it. If you have one application on a launcher,
> it behaves as a regular launcher and putting more makes it into a
> drawer.

OK, I've got that -- both of it, a launcher and something called
a quick launcher. The quick launcher, unlike the plain one, does seem to
let you add things beyond a short canned menu; I haven't yet managed to
launch gnome-terminal (with which I color-code several different
profiles, so that I'm always aware whether I'm root, and whether I'm
actually on some other machine); but I installed it, and I'm guessing
it'll show up as soon as I log out and back in.

Many thanks for the fine clue!

Old 11-01-2011, 03:55 PM
suvayu ali

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 17:21, Beartooth <beartooth@comcast.net> wrote:
> (with which I color-code several different
> profiles, so that I'm always aware whether I'm root, and whether I'm
> actually on some other machine)

This suggestion is off-topic, but I thought it might be of interest
given the above comment. You can customise your shell prompt by
setting the PS1 variable to your liking. That way you are independent
of the particular xterm-like application you are using as your virtual
terminal.

For details about the customisation syntax see PROMPTING in `man
bash'. You can add many more things to the prompt like colourising
with colour escape sequences. A few web searches should be enough to
find out more.

--
Suvayu