Old 10-27-2011, 04:39 AM
Weydson Lima

Default Persistent WIFI connection

Hey there,

I have a portable 4G device which is my main device to connect to the
Internet. Whenever I return home with my device I have to manually
connect all my Fedora boxes to my 4G device as they are not able to
connect automatically. What's the proper way to set my boxes to
connect automatically when my device is in range? I have already
checked the setting to connect automatically in the
gnome-control-center tool, but it doesn't seem to do anything in my
case.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick

---
Weydson Lima
weyseal@gmail.com

Old 10-27-2011, 12:26 PM
Genes MailLists

On 10/27/2011 12:39 AM, Weydson Lima wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> I have a portable 4G device which is my main device to connect to the
> Internet. Whenever I return home with my device I have to manually
> connect all my Fedora boxes to my 4G device as they are not able to
> connect automatically. What's the proper way to set my boxes to
> connect automatically when my device is in range? I have already
> checked the setting to connect automatically in the
> gnome-control-center tool, but it doesn't seem to do anything in my
> case.

I no longer use Gnome - but KDE works perfectly in this case - tho
frankly I'm a little surprised as Gnome certainly used to work fine and
they both use the same underlying NetworkManager.

You could try KDE just to see if that works - if not then its likely
something deeper than the DE applet.

gene

Old 10-27-2011, 10:56 PM
Christoph Wickert

Am Mittwoch, den 26.10.2011, 21:39 -0700 schrieb Weydson Lima:
> Hey there,
>
> I have a portable 4G device which is my main device to connect to the
> Internet. Whenever I return home with my device I have to manually
> connect all my Fedora boxes to my 4G device as they are not able to
> connect automatically. What's the proper way to set my boxes to
> connect automatically when my device is in range? I have already
> checked the setting to connect automatically in the
> gnome-control-center tool, but it doesn't seem to do anything in my
> case.

Make sure to also check "Available to all users", otherwise the
connection only will be established when the user that configured the
connection actually logs in.

Regards,
Christoph

Old 10-27-2011, 11:03 PM
Weydson Lima

I do have that option enabled. I guess my solution is to have a script
that runs periodically to check for my device's wifi?! I googled a lot
about that but couldn't find anyone that implemented something
similar.

---
Weydson Lima
weyseal@gmail.com

Old 10-28-2011, 12:33 AM
Genes MailLists

On 10/27/2011 07:03 PM, Weydson Lima wrote:
> I do have that option enabled. I guess my solution is to have a script
> that runs periodically to check for my device's wifi?! I googled a lot
> about that but couldn't find anyone that implemented something
> similar.

Also - obvious point, but be sure your 4G Mifi box itself is not asleep
due to inactivity right?