Old 03-19-2008, 10:47 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

Default FC8, lost sound

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 10:29 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-03-16 at 19:10 +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:

> > > Check that all the services that should be running are in fact running.
> > >

> > > Max
> >
> > Personally, and not wishing to knock Lennart's Pulseaudio, which I'm sure
> > quite a lot of folks have found usefull. All the same though, I think I'd
> > temporarily remove the alsa-plugins-pulseaudio package, then see if sounds
> > work as expected.
> >
> > Pulseaudio, installed as default on F8 appears to have caused problems for
> > some folks, including myself, and removing alsa-plugins-pulseaudio got my
> > sounds back as they were before on previous Fedora versions.
>
> Amen to that. I've been banging my head againt the wall for several
> weeks because sound worked in stuff like mplayer, vlc, flash videos
> etc., but not in Amarok. Removing alsa-plugins-pulseaudio magically
> fixed everything.

Just a note to the effect that I now have sound working with
pulseaudio. The trick was to RTFM :-). Specifically, the instructions
in http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq (in the section
entitled Fedora 7 -> Fedora 8) where it says:

yum groupinstall sound-and-video gnome-desktop (if you are using Gnome)
yum groupinstall sound-and-video kde-desktop (if you are using KDE)
yum install libflashsupport paman padevchooser

After exiting and restarting the session, this worked.

poc

Old 03-21-2008, 03:24 PM
Steven Stern

Old 03-21-2008, 03:58 PM
Tim

On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 11:24 -0500, Steven Stern wrote:
> OK, take away my license to operate linux...
>
> While digging through the pile of cables today looking for the volume
> control for my Monsoon speaker system, I found that the mute button
> was pressed. Yet another misdiagnosed hardware problem!

Even the manuals for $60,000 BetaCAMs have a diagnosis section with "is
it plugged in?" and "it it turned on?" types of steps. It seems that
nobody's immune from making those sort of mistakes.

I wonder what the flight manuals are like for jumbo jets? "Thank you
for purchasing your new Boeing 707, before flying ensure that you have
closed the doors and fastened your safety belt..."

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:23 PM
Rick Stevens

Tim wrote:

OK, take away my license to operate linux...

While digging through the pile of cables today looking for the volume
control for my Monsoon speaker system, I found that the mute button
was pressed. Yet another misdiagnosed hardware problem!

Even the manuals for $60,000 BetaCAMs have a diagnosis section with "is
it plugged in?" and "it it turned on?" types of steps. It seems that
nobody's immune from making those sort of mistakes.

I wonder what the flight manuals are like for jumbo jets? "Thank you
for purchasing your new Boeing 707, before flying ensure that you have
closed the doors and fastened your safety belt..."

Not to pick nits, but a 707 isn't considered a jumbo jet and they've
been out of production for over 30 years so you can't get a new one
anyway. :-)

However, the 747, 757 and 767 manuals all have preflight inspection
steps including "remove all covering material from the pitot tubes" and
"remove wheel chocks before attempting to taxi".

Chuck Yeager had two great lines:

"You know you've landed gear-up when it takes full power to taxi."
"The only time you can have too much gas is when you're on fire."

And yes, I'm a pilot. Only little planes, though, with big, spinny
things on the nose called, uhm, "propellers".

Old 03-21-2008, 05:03 PM
Tim

On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 10:23 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
> However, the 747, 757 and 767 manuals all have preflight inspection
> steps including "remove all covering material from the pitot tubes"
> and "remove wheel chocks before attempting to taxi".

While we're digressing about manuals, I was somewhat amused by something
I was told by a colleague, years ago: The service manuals for one of
the broadcast television cameras (I think it was a Marconi) all had CPR
instructions in the front, just in case someone working on them got
bitten by the electricity.

One of my favourite personal discoveries while doing some servicing work
at a local studio was finding an aspirin taped inside the chassis of a
computer. It caused some mirth while we debated whether it was supposed
to help the crappy PC, or was there to help the next poor sod who had to
work on it. ;-)

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:11 PM
Les

On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 10:23 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
> Tim wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 11:24 -0500, Steven Stern wrote:
> >> OK, take away my license to operate linux...
> >>
> >> While digging through the pile of cables today looking for the volume
> >> control for my Monsoon speaker system, I found that the mute button
> >> was pressed. Yet another misdiagnosed hardware problem!
> >
> > Even the manuals for $60,000 BetaCAMs have a diagnosis section with "is
> > it plugged in?" and "it it turned on?" types of steps. It seems that
> > nobody's immune from making those sort of mistakes.
> >
> > I wonder what the flight manuals are like for jumbo jets? "Thank you
> > for purchasing your new Boeing 707, before flying ensure that you have
> > closed the doors and fastened your safety belt..."
>
> Not to pick nits, but a 707 isn't considered a jumbo jet and they've
> been out of production for over 30 years so you can't get a new one
> anyway. :-)
>
> However, the 747, 757 and 767 manuals all have preflight inspection
> steps including "remove all covering material from the pitot tubes" and
> "remove wheel chocks before attempting to taxi".
>
> Chuck Yeager had two great lines:
>
> "You know you've landed gear-up when it takes full power to taxi."
> "The only time you can have too much gas is when you're on fire."
>
> And yes, I'm a pilot. Only little planes, though, with big, spinny
> things on the nose called, uhm, "propellers".
And Story Musgrave said "Control-alt-delete is not an option when you
are on final approach in the shuttle!"

Regards,
Les H

Old 03-21-2008, 06:04 PM
"max bianco"

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 12:24 PM, Steven Stern <subscribed-lists@sterndata.com> wrote:

OK, take away my license to operate linux...

While digging through the pile of cables today looking for the volume

control for my Monsoon speaker system, I found that the mute button was

pressed. *Yet another misdiagnosed hardware problem!

SO it goes...i have done it to. At least your willing to admit your mistake.

Max

Old 03-21-2008, 10:59 PM
Danny Yee

> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq (in the section
> entitled Fedora 7 -> Fedora 8) where it says:
>
> yum groupinstall sound-and-video gnome-desktop (if you are using Gnome)
> yum groupinstall sound-and-video kde-desktop (if you are using KDE)
> yum install libflashsupport paman padevchooser

So what are those of us not using Gnome or KDE supposed to do?

If I try running any Gnome sound apps I get my desktop background
reset, followed by a hang in a few minutes when gnome-screensaver
takes on my xscreensaver and locks up X. Kaffeine worked for a while
when run as root, but now it just crashes.

If sound doesn't work in Fedora 9 I'll be switching to some
distribution where it does work. I don't have time to waste trying
apparently random suggestions involving half a dozen daemons, security
and module configuration files, and package installs and uninstalls
-- some of which swap functionality between Flash and music players,
some of which work for a while and then stop working.

Danny.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:22 PM
Ric Moore

On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 11:24 -0500, Steven Stern wrote:

> OK, take away my license to operate linux...
>
> While digging through the pile of cables today looking for the volume
> control for my Monsoon speaker system, I found that the mute button was
> pressed.

<huge cackles> You won't be the first nor the last!! Done it myself.
More than once. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar

Old 03-22-2008, 01:16 AM
Gene Heskett

On Friday 21 March 2008, Tim wrote:
>On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 10:23 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
>> However, the 747, 757 and 767 manuals all have preflight inspection
>> steps including "remove all covering material from the pitot tubes"
>> and "remove wheel chocks before attempting to taxi".
>
>While we're digressing about manuals, I was somewhat amused by something
>I was told by a colleague, years ago: The service manuals for one of
>the broadcast television cameras (I think it was a Marconi) all had CPR
>instructions in the front, just in case someone working on them got
>bitten by the electricity.
>
>One of my favourite personal discoveries while doing some servicing work
>at a local studio was finding an aspirin taped inside the chassis of a
>computer. It caused some mirth while we debated whether it was supposed
>to help the crappy PC, or was there to help the next poor sod who had to
>work on it. ;-)

And then there was the manual that came with the Bell TR-7 1/4" audio tape
recorder, circa 1956 or so. It said in rather large type,

Please try our way first!

Loved it, never forgot it.

--
Cheers, Gene