Old 03-19-2008, 04:50 PM
"Daniel B. Thurman"

Default Xvnc - Keymapping problems?

Uh, I started up
Xvnc many times before, but I noticed something very
wierd.* It
seems that I may have a keymapping problem somewhere.
*
I am able to type in
uppercased A-Z, but I am unable to type in letters
such as
bcdipvxz
*
letter c and p
invoked exalle music player.
*
Is there something I
can check to see what is going on?
*
Thanks-
Dan

Checked by AVG.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:11 PM
Cameron Simpson

On 19Mar2008 11:13, Daniel B. Thurman <dant@cdkkt.com> wrote:
| Daniel B. Thurman Wrote:
| > Uh, I started up Xvnc many times before, but I noticed
| > something very wierd. It seems that I may have a keymapping
| > problem somewhere.
| >
| > I am able to type in uppercased A-Z, but I am unable to type
| > in letters such as bcdipvxz
| >
| > letter c and p invoked exalle music player.
| >
| > Is there something I can check to see what is going on?

Start an "xev" and type in it - it should report key information.

Have you tried bouncing on the modifier keys. I have had vncviewers not
send the "up" key transition of a modifier if it happens outside the
viewer focus (eg, hold down Alt, move out of viewer, release - the Xvnc
behind still believes Alt is held down). Xev will show this, and
bouncing on the modifier keys (Alt, Shift, Ctrl, etc) in the viewer can
reset the state.

It should like the server thinks you're typing Alt-C, etc or something
of that flavour.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@zip.com.au> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Fatal error! Hit any user to continue...
- Phillip Coles <Phillip.Coles@tas.for.csiro.au>

Old 03-22-2008, 05:14 PM
"Daniel B. Thurman"

Cameron Simpson wrote:
|On 19Mar2008 11:13, Daniel B. Thurman <dant@cdkkt.com> wrote:
|| Daniel B. Thurman Wrote:
|| > Uh, I started up Xvnc many times before, but I noticed
|| > something very wierd. It seems that I may have a keymapping
|| > problem somewhere.
|| >
|| > I am able to type in uppercased A-Z, but I am unable to type
|| > in letters such as bcdipvxz
|| >
|| > letter c and p invoked exalle music player.
|| >
|| > Is there something I can check to see what is going on?
|
|Start an "xev" and type in it - it should report key information.
|
|Have you tried bouncing on the modifier keys. I have had vncviewers not
|send the "up" key transition of a modifier if it happens outside the
|viewer focus (eg, hold down Alt, move out of viewer, release - the Xvnc
|behind still believes Alt is held down). Xev will show this, and
|bouncing on the modifier keys (Alt, Shift, Ctrl, etc) in the viewer can
|reset the state.

>From what I can tell, F1-F12 works. Alt, Shift, Ctrl works. Alt works over
an application such that the menu pop-down. When pressing Caps-Lock,
all the uppercased characters works. It is only the lowercased letters
of 'bcdipvxz' that does not work. Weird.

|It should like the server thinks you're typing Alt-C, etc or something
|of that flavour.
|
|Cheers,
|--
|Cameron Simpson <cs@zip.com.au> DoD#743
|http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

It was not easy to try and figure out how to type in
'xev' where x and v keys are blocked so I had to try
cut/paste of existing characters via the GUI interface

Any, I managed to get the xev events as follows, a key 'a'
followed by 'x' where 'a' is accepted and 'x' is not:

Pressing: a
KeyPress event, serial 30, synthetic NO, window 0x4400001,
root 0x3b, subw 0x4400002, time 3617255895, (50,45), root53,91),
state 0x0, keycode 38 (keysym 0x61, a), same_screen YES,
XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (61) "a"
XmbLookupString gives 1 bytes: (61) "a"
XFilterEvent returns: False

KeyRelease event, serial 30, synthetic NO, window 0x4400001,
root 0x3b, subw 0x4400002, time 3617255935, (50,45), root53,91),
state 0x0, keycode 38 (keysym 0x61, a), same_screen YES,
XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (61) "a"
XFilterEvent returns: False

Pressing: x
FocusOut event, serial 30, synthetic NO, window 0x4400001,
mode NotifyGrab, detail NotifyAncestor

FocusIn event, serial 30, synthetic NO, window 0x4400001,
mode NotifyUngrab, detail NotifyAncestor

KeymapNotify event, serial 30, synthetic NO, window 0x0,
keys: 59 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

So pressing key x is not recognized as a KeyPress/KeyRelease
event but instead as a FocusOut/FocusIn event?

Please keep in mind that this problem only happens in Xvnc and
running Gnome. I was not having any problems under any other
session window managers - KDE, windowmaker, twm, and so on.

Thanks for responding,
Dan

Checked by AVG.